Those who love to travel and discover the wonders of the world is always looking for fascinating places and sensations that only some breathtaking landscapes can arouse. There are many destinations that have these characteristics, but which are the most beautiful?
To answer this question, we questioned our community members! After selecting a group of 100 magnificent attractions and destinations around the globe, we asked a sample of 10.000 users to indicate 15 preferences. The attractions that scored the highest number of votes have returned to this top 15 ...
15 - Lençóis Maranhenses National Park, Brazil
Il Lençois Maranhenses National Park in Brazil it is one of the most spectacular landscapes imaginable. A huge boundless valley with crystal-colored fresh water interspersed with sinuous white sand dunes that extend as far as the eye can see. It's hard to believe: in fact this place seems almost out of this world. But luckily for us, this natural landscape is real and just waiting to be visited.
- Type of visit: Free admission but to reach the Park it is necessary to rely on a guide
- Period indicated: Between March and September, after the Rainy Season.
14 - Pammukale, Turkey
Imagine yourself immersed in surreal, brilliant, hot thermal waters clear and crystalline, positioned overflowing on the slopes of a white hill, with the void in front of you admiring the majestic valley. Truly a spectacular sight. The geological phenomenon of Pamukkale, literally "Cotton Castle" in Turkish, is something magnificent.
Furthermore, the place is close to the equally extraordinary remains of the Greco-Roman city of Hierapolis. With such a unique combination of natural and man-made wonders it's no wonder the site's presence in the rankings.
- Type of visit: Entrance fee
- Period indicated: In Spring or Summer
13 - Machu Picchu, Peru
Why Machu Picchu is one of the most beautiful places in the world to visit? Simple, because it allows you to feel small in front of the deadly grandeur of nature that combines perfectly with the marks left by one of the greatest human civilizations ever, because it allows you to explore one of the most legendary Inca roads that connects the city of Cusco with the sacred citadel of Machu Picchu, because you can feel like you are in the clouds and enjoy a wonderful panorama, immersed in history and myth.
- Type of visit: Entrance fee
- Period indicated: Months between April and October (For the excursion on foot along the Inca path) - All year for the simple visit of the site
12 - Meteore, Greece
One of the most beautiful things to visit in Greece are undoubtedly the Meteors.
Above the city of Kalambaka, on the northwestern side of the Thessaly plain, gigantic rock formations rise towards the sky reaching almost 400 meters in height. Above them, just like in a fantastic movie, a number of monasteries have remained in balance for centuries wrapped in clouds.
Meteora is "the city in the sky" a dream place capable of making you feel like a god of Olympus.
- Type of visit: Entrance fee. Each monsastery costs 3 euros for a total of € 18. There is no combined ticket.
- Period indicated: Mid-seasons are ideal, especially Spring
11 - Fairy Pools, Isle of Skye - Scotland
If you love hiking and nature, if you love Scottish landscapes or are planning a trip to the Isle of Skye in general, then you should definitely visit the so-called Fairy Pools: the magical "fairy pools". These are located near the Cuillins Mountains on the Isle of Skye in Scotland. It is wonderful natural pools of cold and clear water, formed by the waterfalls that fall down from the slopes of the Cuillins mountains. A unique show!
- Type of visit: Free entry.
- Period indicated: Summer
10 - Jiuzhaigou Valley, China
Literally "Valley of the Nine Villages", it is an enchanting nature reserve in the Sichuan province of China, UNESCO heritage, which boasts turquoise lakes, lush greenery and a waterfalls which gives its visitors a breathtaking view, a wonderful landscape for those who love nature walks. Little remains of the small villages, but you can still admire what remains of them typical Tibetan dwellings.
However, what attracts tourists to this valley remains its geological structure: a landscape dotted with karst mountains and glaciers, lakes of glacial origin formed by the fall of boulders and rocks that closed these basins that contain acrystal clear water thanks to the presence of calcium carbonate.
- Type of visit: Free admission, but it is advisable to rely on a guide for the excursion.
- Period indicated: All year round, but the autumn colors make the place even more magical
9 - Uluru, Australia
We move to Australia where we find Uluru, a fantastic rocky massif located in the Australian outback, in Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, famous for its intense red color that varies in an amazing way during the hours of the day, especially at sunrise and sunset, taking on colors ranging from gold, to bronze, to purple. These optical effects and the rapid color change is due to the presence of minerals called feldspars, which reflect particularly the Red light. Furthermore, the massif is largely made of iron, and the red color is therefore due to the oxidation of this metal, which generates rust with the classic bronzed color.
Its surface, apparently smooth, offers a unique versatility, with puddles, small springs and ancient ones cave paintings. Reachable by bus, it offers a fascinating panorama from its top.
- Type of visit: Entrance fee. The 3-day pass costs $ 25.00.
- Period indicated: All year for a simple visit. For those who want to camp in the park, the summer months are better, from November to March.
8 - Fushimi Inari-Taisha Shrine, Japan
Let's go back to Asia, specifically to Japan, to admire a wonderful sanctuary, a place of Shinto cult dedicated to the Inari spirit located in Fushimi-ku, Kyoto. The sanctuary is known for the thousands of "Torii", vermilion red access portals to Japanese temples, which delimit the path that leads to the hill where the sanctuary is located.
Inari is the deity of rice and inside the sanctuary you can admire several statues representing the foxes which are, according to the cult, the messengers of divinity. The path leading to the temple, about 4 kilometers long, is very tiring to travel, but it certainly represents a small journey that brings visitors closer to the temple both physically and spiritually. It is certainly one of the most evocative places in Japan.
- Type of visit: Free entry.
- Period indicated: All the year. A visit at sunset is particularly recommended.
7 - Kyaiktiyo Golden Rock, Burma
We stay in Asia, but we move to Yangon, in Burma, to admire the "Golden Rock", located on the mountain Kyaiktiyo. It is a piece of rock that is hovering on a mountain for a hair, or rather for "a hair of Buddha" as the legend has it, probably born due to the fact that the rock according to the first visitors was able to stay still in the balance for thanks to something miraculous. For this reason, about two thousand years ago, one was built on top of the rock pagoda, where thousands of tourists go every year to attack one pure gold foil in exchange for a little luck from the Buddha: hence the name of Golden Rock. In addition to the particular location, the place is well known for the mystical sensations that the sanctuary gives.
- Type of visit: Free admission, but to arrive you must travel on authorized trucks. 3000 kyat rate (just over two euros)
- Period indicated: Pre-monsoon period, from mid-February to mid-May
6 - Moraine Lake, Canada
We reach Canada, where we find a very particular lake, Moraine Lake, known for its picturesque landscape, but also for the color of its blue-green waters, due to the presence of rocky particles on the bottom. The lake, of glacial origin, is located in the "Valley of the Ten Peaks", extends for about half a square kilometer and is surrounded by several paths, which allow you to do wonderful excursions at the foot of the 10 mountains that surround the lake and from which the valley takes its name.
A perfect destination for those who love to immerse themselves in nature, and wrap themselves in a breathtaking landscape.
- Type of visit: Free admission but paid services (e.g. shuttle for transport or canoe rental)
- Period indicated: Months of June and July
5 - Golden Circle Route, Iceland
Let's go to Europe now to see the Golden Circle Route in Iceland. It is a very fascinating tourist itinerary, with three main stops: the Pingvellir National Park Gullfoss waterfall and Haukadalur geothermal valley.
The first is a territory full of rifts due to continuous tectonic movements. One of these slots is full of coins, thrown in by visitors, as the tradition based on European legends dictates.
The second is a waterfall 20 meters wide and 2,5 kilometers long that can be visited via a path that extends over three levels. Finally, the third, a geothermal valley that hosts two active geysers: the Strokkur that erupts about every 5-10 minutes and the Geysir that erupts about four times a day. Beyond these three stages, the whole area offers a landscape rich in waterfalls, and an active geothermal valley with geysers that throw boiling water into the air up to 70 meters high: very impressive, but to be visited with caution.
- Type of visit: To travel the road you do not pay anything but the main stages of the tour are paid.
- Period indicated: Summer spring
4 - Trolltunga, Norway
Still in Europe, in Norway, we go to Trolltunga, a piece of rock that extends horizontally ... into nothing! The name means "language of the troll", because of its shape that recalls the language of the typical characters of the Northern European mythology.
From it you can admire the Ringedalsvanet lake below and the wonderful play of the peaks Norwegian fjords surrounding. It is the perfect place to sit and reflect, or rather to raise your arms to the sky and feel the masters of the world!
- Type of visit: Guided excursion for a fee
- Period indicated: from about mid-June to mid-September
3 - Angkor Wat, Cambodia
We are in Cambodia, and we find ourselves admiring the largest Hindu temple in the world, built during the reign of the Khmer, and famous for its peculiar style and its architecture with attention to detail. The majestic sandstone construction was born at the behest of King Suryavarman II, as mausoleum for his adoration after death.
within the Angkor Archaeological Park, the building stands surrounded by a moat and is dedicated to Vishnu. For video game enthusiasts, the temple has been chosen for the setting of games such as Tekken e Tomb Rider! An unusual reason to visit this magnificent work of man.
- Type of visit: for a fee (1,3 day or weekly ticket)
- Period indicated: from November to February, but better to avoid the December holidays to avoid finding too many crowds.
2 - Great Blue Hole, Caribbean
It is an underwater karst sinkhole 123 meters deep, located east of Belize in Carribean Sea, inside the atoll of Lighthouse Reef. The cavity has a circular shape and is over 300 meters wide. It was formed during the last Ice Age as one limestone cave: when the sea level rose, the cave was flooded and took on the appearance it presents today.
It is known to be one of the most beautiful dive sites in the world, since it offers an underwater landscape rich in stalactites and typical aspects of a cave, now submerged, and a native fauna with different species of sharks including the black tip reef shark.
- Type of visit: Paid dive (price of $ 280)
- Period indicated: from December to May
1 - Antelope Canyon, Arizona
We must fly to Arizona, on the land of the Navajos, to be breathless in front of this spectacle of nature: Antelope Canyon, which consists of two separate formations, made of one reddish sandstone, which was shaped by water and wind, and created one dense network of caves and tunnels inside which beams of light enter that create an environment so perfect and sinuous that it seems to be drawn. A magical place, which photography lovers cannot avoid capturing with their flashes, to take home a crazy landscape!
- Type of visit: for a fee (guided tours from 30 to 80 dollars)
- Period indicated: from April to July
Other places to visit
- Places to visit in Italy: we have plenty of national wonders, from the stupendous Italian cities of art, to the small medieval villages, without forgetting the small hidden pearls unknown by mass tourism.
- Places to visit in Europe: for a nice trip to the "Old Continent", take a look at the best places to visit in Europe and obviously the "evergreen" European capitals, suitable for any type of traveler.
- Places to visit abroad: do you prefer something more exotic? Then discover the most beautiful islands in the world, instead if you like the idea of discovering one of the world's great metropolises, don't forget the most beautiful cities in the world
- Places to visit in the summer: if your holidays from work coincide with the summer period, here's where to go on a summer holiday abroad or the best Italian summer destinations for young people
- Places to visit in winter: and for a holiday in the winter months? Discover our best offers for young people or families