Pristine beaches, crystal clear sea in which to swim among schools of fish and colorful corals, a relaxed atmosphere and breathtaking sunsets at the end of the day ...
This and much more is what you could experience during one dream vacation in the Caribbean, but between atolls and islets, one more beautiful than the other, how to choose the destination that best suits you? Here is some information about the island of Providenciales: where it is, how to get there and what are the main attractions to visit during a hypothetical stay.
- Travel informed: useful information
- Where it is
- When to go? Info on climate and best time
- 8 things to see: beaches and places of interest
- What to do in Providenciales: excursions and tours
- How much does a Providenciales vacation cost? Prices, offers and advice
- User questions and comments
Travel informed: useful information
- Inhabitants: 24.000
- Capital: the capital of the group of Turks and Caicos islands (of which Providenciales is part) is Cockburn Town, although the largest city by extension is precisely Providenciales.
- Languages: English
- Local currency: US dollar (€ 1,00 = 1,15 USD)
- Weather: tropical, warm all year round, and essentially has two main seasons, the cooler one, from December to March, and the warmer and humid (or rainy) one from May to October. Temperatures range on average between 24 ° C in winter and 28 ° C in summer.
- vaccinations: no vaccination required
- Entry requirements: Passport
- Travel / health insurance: recommended.
Where it is
Providenciales is an island located in the north-west of the archipelago of the Caicos Islands, in turn part of the largest group of the Turks and Caicos, a coral archipelago washed by the Atlantic Ocean. The administrative center of this group of islands, however, is on the island of Grand Turk and is the capital of Cockburn Town. Being a overseas territory under the British government, the entire Turks and Caicos group is based on British Common Law policy, with fewer laws adopted by neighboring Jamaica and the Bahamas.
How to reach us
- From the main European capitals: from London, British Airways operates connections with the islands of the Turks and Caicos group. The flight in this case will be only 11 hours.
When to go? Info on climate and best time
- Weather: it is tropical with fairly high temperatures throughout the year, the daily average hardly drops below 24 ° C in winter and below 28 ° C in the summer months. However, the heat is hardly ever stifling, thanks to the fresh air breezes from the United States. The rains, abundant especially between September and December, are more contained than in other areas of the Caribbean, although tropical hurricanes are also expected here in the wet season. However, the amount of sunshine is good enough for twelve months a year, in fact the sea temperature is always between 26 ° and 29 ° C.
- Best time: from January to April, both because sunny days are more likely and for the temperatures that are quite pleasant, neither too sultry nor too cool.
- Period to avoid: from June to November, due to very frequent rainfall which can also culminate in hurricanes and temperatures that are too sultry.
- Advice: it is necessary to pack both lighter clothing for days on the beach (swimsuit, flip flops, T-shirt, shorts, cover-ups, etc.) and some warmer clothing for the evening or bad weather days (sweatshirt , long jeans, sweater, denim jacket and / or windbreaker, foulard). In addition to these, it will be necessary not to forget even a pair of comfortable shoes at home, suitable for possible excursions; an umbrella or a k-way in case of rain; rubber shoes so as not to get hurt with the coral reefs and obviously camera, video camera and everything you need to immortalize the most beautiful moments of the trip.
8 things to see: beaches and places of interest
- Grace Bay Beach: defined by some as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, Grace Bay Beach is characterized by crystal clear water, fine sand and a reef that develops not far from the shore. Ideal both for snorkelers and water sports lovers and for those who simply dream of relaxing on the beach.
- Half moon bay: another of the most popular beaches for visitors, it can be reached by sea via kayak or private boat. Some companies take half-day excursions to get there.
- Turk's Head Brewery: to live a different experience than usual, head to this place where you will be told through a reconstructed path the history of local beer and alcoholic beverages. In some cases a tasting is foreseen.
- Taylor Bay Beach: another beach of great beauty, especially recommended for those traveling with children due to the very low water level for several meters from the shore.
- Leeward Beach: similar to nearby Grace Bay Beach but less crowded and with an almost sulphurous water color for its clarity.
- Chalk Sound: it is a glimpse of wild nature. It is a lagoon in which the colors of the sea and those of the sky seem to become one. Watching the sun set over the lagoon, perhaps from the balcony of one of the nearby restaurants, is a priceless experience.
- Sapodilla Bay: it is a generally little visited beach that will allow you to fully enjoy the relaxation and calm atmosphere typical of the Caribbean. However, keep in mind that this beach is practically not equipped.
- Little Water Cay: it is a natural sanctuary dedicated to iguanas, where it is possible to observe them closely and feed them (with berries and other small fruits). If these reptiles scare you, however, it is better if you change plans for the day, the iguanas in fact live in this place in total freedom and the encounter could be very close.
What to do in Providenciales: excursions and tours
How much does a Providenciales vacation cost? Prices, offers and advice
Providenciales is not one of the cheapest destinations in the Caribbean, on the contrary being one of the most beautiful places in the Turks and Caicos islands and consequently being an extremely tourist destination, it is difficult to find good offers, although not impossible. To avoid spending a fortune, we always invite you to book everything well in advance, starting with airline tickets which are undoubtedly the most important expense of this type of travel. However, the accommodations also cost a little more than those in other locations: that's why we recommend you if possible avoid quite luxurious resorts and hotels to look for more affordable solutions such as guest houses or apartments in order to amortize costs (especially if you travel with friends they can be an excellent solution). Otherwise, living costs are also higher than in other nearby locations, due to the presence of the US dollar as the official currency. However, you just have to choose to eat in local cuisine restaurants rather than in chic clubs, or choose to rent a scooter as a means of transport instead of constantly traveling by taxi to significantly reduce your expenses.
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 80,00 per room -
- starting from € 700,00 -
- 15 days / 14 nights from € 2.600,00 per person -