Procida is a town in the province of Naples. It is an island located 3 km from the coast of Campania.
The Procida Canal is the arm of the sea that separates the island from the Phlegraean peninsula, while the south coast of Procida is connected by a pedestrian bridge to the Vivara island.
The islet is characterized by light-colored houses, outdoor tables, cobbled streets, seagulls and suggestive panoramic points. But there is so much more to see, which will leave you breathless.
Here's a little one drive on Procida with all the useful information to better organize a holiday.
- 10 things to see in Procida in a weekend
- What to see in Procida in one day: recommended itinerary
- Where to eat in Procida: the best restaurants
- What to do in the evening: the nightlife areas and the best clubs in Procida
- Plan your stay in Procida: info and useful tips
- User questions and comments
10 things to see in Procida in a weekend
1 - Marina of Sancho Cattolico
The main port area is called Sent 'Co by the Procidans, from here ferries leave for all other areas of the island, and hydrofoils also dock from the mainland and Ischia.
Give adream atmosphere with its colorful houses overlooking the street and the sea in front. This area is practically Procida's calling card, buses and taxis with tourists also stop here and Via Roma opens up, the most important commercial and tourist street in the city.
- it is located in Via Lingua and is the main port of Procida, located north of the island. From within the city you can easily walk - Get directions
- always accessible
2 - Terra Murata and Palazzo d'Avalos
It is located on the north-east coast of the island, at the highest point, almost 90 meters above sea level.
This is a former prison in which life sentences were held until the s. The monumental complex is made up of the palace, the courtyard, the guards 'barracks, the cell building, the veterans' building, the medicine shop, the director's house and the Spianata agricultural estate.
Today it is the ideal place to admire the view over the entire Gulf of Naples with its islands. The palace can be visited upon reservation to be made on the official website of the Municipality.
- located in Via Terra Murata, it can be reached on foot or, for those not accustomed to walking, by bus or taxi - Get directions
- Tue-Sun 9: 30-14: 00
- € 10,00 full, € 5,00 reduced
3 - Casale Vascello
It is a truly characteristic place, to be seen absolutely.
It's a agglomeration of typical country houses, where you can take a real dive into the past. The houses are still inhabited, you can admire a unique and curious architecture, characterized by balconies overlooking a single courtyard and with few openings to the outside.
- is located in Via Principessa Margherita (which together with Via Salita Castello are the only two entrances to Casale Vascello) and can be reached on foot - Get directions
- always accessible
4 - La Corricella
If you have seen the famous film Il Postino by Massimo Troisi, you will immediately recognize this place, which in fact hosted the film set of the film.
Marina Corricella is the oldest seaside village of Procida, the buildings that line the streets of this area are characterized by balconies covered with arches of Arab origin. Truly a suggestive location away from the chaos, perfect for a relaxing walk.
- located in the homonymous street, easily reachable on foot - Get directions
- always accessible
5 - Vivara
It is possible to reach the islet with one 45 minute walk about via a bridge that has now become a pedestrian, so we recommend it to those who love long walks. In fact, the ferries arriving on the island depart from Naples or Pozzuoli.
Vivara extends for 3 kilometers and has no beaches, since 2002 it is one of the 146 nature reserves in Italy. Really a natural oasis of unspeakable beauty, where the Mediterranean scrub grows and is worth a visit.
- it is located in the south of the island and can be reached on foot by crossing the Vivara Bridge, about 3 km from the center of Procida - Get directions
- always accessible
6 - The House of Graziella
It's a house-museum very interesting, it originates from the novel Graziella by De Lamartine, and which takes its cue from the great love that the French writer felt for the island, proposes the interiors of an island house from the 1800s. A visit here will make you understand life in Procida before it became such a tourist destination.
- it is located a short distance from Palazzo d'Avalos, exactly in Via Borgo, it is within walking distance - Get directions
- in summer 10: 00-13: 00 and 15: 00-17: 00, in winter 10: 00-13: 00; closed on Sunday and Monday afternoon
- € 2,50
7 - Lingua beach
The beach is located in the north of the island, it is small and quiet mainly characterized by stones and clear water.
Not to be missed is thealba, with suggestive colors where you can admire the sun rising directly from behind Vesuvius.
On the opposite side of the port there is also Silurenza Beach. If you find yourself around Procida during a sunny day we strongly advise you to stop at these two beaches. Furthermore, right in the port area, you can find the information offices of various companies that organize boat excursions to discover the most beautiful beaches of Procida and caves visible only from the sea.
- located within walking distance of the main port, walkable - Get directions
- always accessible
8 - Chiaiolella beach
This beach is the largest of all Procida beaches and is located in the south, it is characterized by dark sand and several bathing establishments, it is also the busiest beach on the island. With bars, restaurants and lounge bars it is always among the chosen ones for those who want to enjoy whole days at the beach.
- it is located in the south of the island, in the area of the same name, you can reach it on foot - Get directions
- always accessible
9 - Church of San Leonardo
It is dedicated to St. Leonard of Noblat or d'Orleans, liberator of slaves, protector of women in labor, shipwrecked and prisoners. Inside you can see theapse dedicated to the Heart of Jesus andapse del Cuore di Maria, and two other saints of Neapolitan culture, Alfonso Maria de 'Liguori and San Ciro. And then below, under the altar, the statue of San Tarcisio.
- it is located in Via Vittorio Emanuele, a short distance from the Marina di Sancio Cattolico, within walking distance - Get directions
- every day 7: 00-12: 30 and 16: 00-20: 30
10 - Sanctuary of S. Maria delle Grazie Incoronata
Coming down from Terra Murata a visit to this beautiful church is to be done. IS' small but very characteristic and with the first historical evidence dating back to 1500. It is located in the upper part of the island, from which it is possible to enjoy the splendid view of the sea. In this sanctuary, exactly in the parish priest's study, there is a white marble trap door that marks the basement of that room where the sixteen martyrs of freedom were buried, killed by the Bourbons in 1799 for joining the Neapolitan Republic in the square where it is located. the church, called Piazza dei Martiri for this historical fact.
- located in Piazza dei Martiri, easily reachable on foot - Get directions
- 7:00-12:30 e 15:30-20:00
What to see in Procida in one day: recommended itinerary
After having breakfast at the Bar dal Cavaliere and then reaching the highest part of the island, Terra Murata with the D'Avalos Palace, and from here admire the beauty of the whole Gulf of Naples. Then visit the Graziella house-museum and the very characteristic area known as Casale Vascello.
For lunch, you should definitely eat in the La Locanda del Postino restaurant, where memorabilia from the film Il Postino are kept.
Then reach the southern part of the island and relax on the beautiful beach of Marina Chiaiolella. In the late afternoon, you can decide to walk the Vivara Bridge for about 40 minutes and you will arrive atisland of Vivara, considered a real natural oasis.
In the evening, back on the island of Procida, stop for dinner at Lido di Procida for a good pizza overlooking the sea.
One day itinerary at a glance
- Breakfast at Bar Dal Cavaliere
- Terra Murata and Palazzo d'Avalos - opening hours: Tue-Sun 9: 30-14: 00 - ticket price: € 10,00 full, € 5,00 reduced
- La Casa di Graziella - opening hours: every day except Sunday and Monday afternoon, in summer 10: 00-13: 00 and 15: 00-17: 00, in winter 10: 00-13: 00 - ticket price: € 2,50
- Casale Vascello - opening hours: always accessible - ticket price: free
- Lunch at La Locanda del Postino
- Marina Corricella - opening hours: always accessible - ticket price: free
- Marina Chiaiolella - opening hours: always accessible - ticket price: free
- Vivara Island - opening hours: always accessible - ticket price: free
- Dinner at Lido di Procida
Where to eat in Procida: the best restaurants
- The Locanda del Postino: restaurant offering a typical menu of fish and lemon desserts and with memorabilia from Troisi's film shot in this location. Average price per person: € 20,00 Address and contacts: Via Marina di Corricella, 43 (Get directions) / tel +39 339 400 6579
- From Girone: pizzeria with two terraces overlooking the sea located on the seafront in the south of the island. Average price per person: € 15,00 Address and contacts: Lungomare Cristoforo Colombo, 4 (Get directions) / tel +39 081 896 7367
- Sottosopra Restaurant: restaurant with excellent cuisine with fresh fish and desserts. Average price per person: € 25,00 Address and contacts: Via Roma, 11 (Get directions) / tel +39 081 810 1013
What to do in the evening: the nightlife areas and the best clubs in Procida
In Procida the area most frequented by young people in the evening is that of main port, Sent 'Co for the Procidans. Let's say that Procida is not the best place for those who go in search of nightlife, in fact there are no pubs or discos on the island, but if you find yourself and you want to spend the evening doing something you can always find bars open late, here we recommend three.
The best pubs, clubs and discos
- SeaBar: bar open until 3 am that offers excellent cocktails to drink with friends. Address: Via Roma, 1 (Get directions) / Facebook page
- Flamingo Cafe: café with outdoor tables, one of the few places in Procida where you can spend the evening with good music and excellent drinks. Address: Via Libertà, 90 (Get directions) / Facebook page
- Capriccio Bar: club with themed music evenings open until late. Address: Via Roma, 99 (Get directions) / Facebook page
Plan your stay in Procida: info and useful tips
- the island can only be reached by sea from the ports of Naples and Pozzuoli, with ferries it takes about 40 minutes from Naples and an hour from Pozzuoli
- Getting around: by bus, the main EAV bus station is located in Piazza Marina Grande (a single ride for non-residents costs € 1,50). The island is small and if you are not intimidated by climbs and slopes, you can move around on foot
- Where to park: if you traveled by ferry and you have your car with you, you can use the covered parking located in Via Libertà, very close to the port (Get directions)
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 35,00 per room -
- What to see in the surroundings: island of Ischia (14 km), Pozzuoli (20 km), Naples (38 km), Ercolano (48 km), Torre del Greco (53 km)