Belonging to the province of Grosseto, in Tuscany, Pitigliano is a curious village, which has the peculiarity of having been named "little Jerusalem", for its historic center and for the presence of a Jewish community, which has its Synagogue in Pitigliano.
From the ancient medieval aspect, this village rises on the ridge of a promontory and is characterized by pretty houses dug directly on the tuff walls. Marked by a very ancient past, Pitigliano preserves its historical beauty intact, made famous by the presence of one of the most beautiful Italian noble palaces: the fourteenth-century Palazzo Orsini.
Here's a little one guide on Pitigliano: what to see, where to eat and what to do in the evening!
- 10 things to see in Pitigliano in a weekend
- What to see in Pitigliano in one day: recommended itinerary
- Where to eat in Pitigliano: the best restaurants
- What to do in the evening: the nightlife areas and the best clubs in Pitigliano
- Plan your stay in Pitigliano: info and useful tips
- User questions and comments
10 things to see in Pitigliano in a weekend
1 - Palazzo Orsini
Of Aldobrandesque origin, which later became the residence of the Orsini counts, Palazzo Orsini is one of the most beautiful attractions to visit in Pitigliano.
Located in the historic center of the village, the building dates back to the th century and is characterized by twenty-one elegant rooms and from a very interesting museum, which collects works in silver and gold, ancient coins, paintings on wood and canvas, precious fabrics, manuscripts, ancient books and wooden sculptures, among which the Madonna and Child by Jacopo della Quercia stands out.
- in Piazza Fortezza Orsini, 25; 400 meters from the Pitigliano Centro bus stop, 6 minutes on foot - Get directions
- Tuesday to Sunday from 10:00 to 13:00 and from 15:00 to 19:00
- full € 5,00, groups of at least 15 people € 3,50, children 6-10 years € 3,00, children up to 5 years free; integrated ticket (Palazzo Orsini plus Cathedral) € 6,00
2 - Cathedral
Located in Piazza San Gregorio, the Cathedral of Pitigliano, dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul, it is another of the wonderful attractions of the village.
Dating back to the medieval period, it has an eighteenth-century facade and a Baroque-style interior, which houses paintings dating from the seventeenth-nineteenth century. On the left side of the church, the imposing tuff bell tower, 35 meters high, it was initially built with military functions and has become a symbol of the panorama and skyline of Pitigliano.
- in Piazza San Gregorio, 7; 600 meters from the Pitigliano Centro bus stop, 8 minutes on foot - Get directions
- summer period from 9:00 to 13:00 and from 15:00 to 20:00; winter period from 10:00 to 13:00 and from 15:00 to 18:00
- full € 2,50, reduced groups € 2,00, children 6-17 years € 1,00, children up to 6 years free; integrated ticket (Palazzo Orsini plus Cathedral): € 6,00
3 - Medici Aqueduct and Fountain of the seven spouts
Built between 1636 and 1639 by the will of the Medici, this aqueduct is one of the most beautiful engineering works of the village.
Made up of two large arches and thirteen smaller ones, the aqueduct for centuries it has fed the Fountains of Piazza della Repubblica, among which that of the Seven Spouts stands out for its beauty, decorated with arches, pinnacles and seven spouts, on which sculptures representing animal heads are placed.
The other two twin fountains that decorate the square are also very beautiful, decorated with elements in the Baroque style.
- in Piazza della Repubblica, 267; 350 meters from the Pitigliano Centro bus stop, 6 minutes on foot - Get directions
- always accessible
4 - Jewish Ghetto
Characterized by a maze of narrow streets and alleys studded with shops, portals, stone stairways and coats of arms, the Jewish Ghetto of Pitigliano corresponds to the historic center of the town. Wanted by the Medici to confine the Jews at the end of 1500, the Ghetto has now been renamed "the little Jerusalem" and still today preserves the essence of the ancient community intact.
Visited by tourists from all over Italy and the world, it is one of the most important attractions of Pitigliano, thanks to the wonderful panorama offered over the city, which evokes the ancient medieval era. Right here is the Synagogue.
- in Vicolo Marghera, 11; 650 meters from the Pitigliano Centro bus stop, 11 minutes on foot - Get directions
- always accessible
5 - Synagogue
Built in 1598, it is one of the symbolic places of the city. Adorned with sacred furnishings dating back to the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries and precious stuccos, it has the Tevà in the center: the pulpit on which the passages of the Torah are reported.
In the rooms below the Synagogue there are instead different environments where it is possible admire a permanent display of Jewish culture, which includes mikvè, that is the room for the ritual bath, the dry cleaners, the slaughterhouse and the kosher cellar, the unleavened oven.
- in Vicolo Marghera trav, Via Zuccarelli, 203; 600 meters from the Pitigliano Centro bus stop, 8 minutes on foot - Get directions
- from April 1st to October 31st from 10:00 to 13:00 and from 14:00 to 18:00; from 1st November to 31st March from 10:00 to 12:30 and from 14:00 to 15:30; closed on saturday
- full € 5,00, children from 7 to 12 years and school groups € 4,00, children from 0 to 6 years, teachers accompanying school groups, agents of the Public Force in uniform and press officers present in the exercise of their functions free of charge
6 - Torciata di San Giuseppe
More than an attraction, it is about a truly curious and characteristic event. Beginning on the weekend preceding March 19 (feast of St. Joseph) and ending on that day, the Torciata is one of the most ancient and characteristic traditions of Pitigliano.
Many shows and religious celebrations that take place for the occasion, with the climax at dusk on March 19, in which after three blasts of the trumpet the march of forty torches begins, carrying flaming reeds on their shoulders. At the end of the procession, the innacciu takes place: a large bonfire during which a puppet made of reeds is burned, symbolizing the winter that has just ended.
- the event is held in the streets of Pitigliano
- the festivities usually begin on the Friday evening of the weekend preceding March 21, around 21pm
- free event
7 - Vie Cave
Paths carved into the tuff rock by the ancient Etruscans, for the need to connect Pitigliano, Sorano and Sovana, the via Cave (also called "tagliate" or "cavoni") are routes up to 1 km long and up to 3 meters wide, which represent another of the most important attractions to visit in Pitigliano.
Propped up by ancient Etruscan necropolis and covered with moss and lichens in the shade of a hidden sun, these paths offer the visitor a truly evocative landscape. The most important are: Via Cava della Madonna and Via Cava del Gradone.
- 9 kilometers from Pitigliano; reachable by bus with lines 11P, 41P and 57P from Pitigliano Centro to Sorano, ticket cost € 1,50 one way - Get directions
- always accessible
8 - Saturnia thermal waterfalls
Just outside the village of Pitigliano are the thermal waterfalls of Saturnia: classified among the ten most beautiful natural pools in the world.
Characterized by the typical sulfur smell of thermal waters, these waterfalls were already famous at the time of the ancient Romans, for their beneficial properties. The water has a temperature of 37 ° and flows from the source of Saturnia. A truly unmissable stop, dedicated to relaxation, nature and benefits for body and soul.
- 23,3 km from Pitigliano; reachable by bus with lines 18P, 11P, 41P and PT5 from Pitigliano Centro to Manciano Arlecchino (€ 1,50), and then taking the bus line 17P, E01 or E02 from Manciano Pace to Saturnia (€ 1,50) , total from € 3,00 - Get directions
- always accessible
9 - Open-air Archaeological Museum
Discovering Etruscan history, in this truly characteristic archaeological site. Divided into: city of the living, in which the development of the Etruscan urban settlements has been reconstructed, from an ancient protohistoric village of the Bronze Age up to the real cities, with three-room houses and a portico; is city of the dead: where it will be possible to visit the Etruscan Necropolis of Gradone (VII-VI century BC) and the Necropolis of San Giovanni (VI-IV-III century BC), also reliving a typical funeral ceremony.
- Provincial Road 127, Via di Pantano; 2,5 kilometers from the Pitigliano Centro bus stop, 35 minutes on foot; also reachable by bus 11P, 18P and PT5 from Pitigliano Centrale to Bivio Farnese, ticket cost € 1,50 each way - Get directions
- open only Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 to 18:00
- full € 6,00, reduced € 3,00
10 - Civic Museum of the Etruscan civilization
Divided into five rooms, this very interesting museum (located right in front of Palazzo Orsini) exhibits numerous pieces of pottery and jewels from the Etruscan era, found in Pitigliano and the surrounding areas, and even includes a restoration laboratory.
A very interesting visit, which will end with a video that shows how life was at the time of the Etruscans, providing information and curiosities about this civilization.
- Piazza Fortezza Orsini, 59 / c; 400 meters from the Pitigliano Centro bus stop, 5 minutes on foot - Get directions
- the Museum respects opening hours that vary in different months of the year, it is therefore advisable to consult the official website
- full € 3,00, reduced € 2,00; Combined ticket for both archaeological museums full € 6,00, reduced € 3,00
What to see in Pitigliano in one day: recommended itinerary
Our day in the wonderful village of Pitigliano begins in the sumptuous Piazza della Repubblica, where we decide to enjoy a good Tuscan coffee at the "Caffè degli Archi" before starting our walk, aimed at discovering the wonders of this town.
After breakfast, we are preparing to admire the beautiful Fountain of the Sette Cannelli, located in the same square; after the stop we start the visit of the fourteenth-century Palazzo Orsini and its very interesting Museum. Finally, we head to the Civic Museum of Etruscan Civilization, which is located right in front of the Orsini Palace.
For lunch we decide to stop at the Hostaria del Ceccottino, where we enjoy excellent typical dishes. Regenerated by the goodness of the tagliatelle with duck ragu and the sweetness of the panna cotta with saffron, we move towards the Jewish ghetto of Pitigliano and, between medieval alleys and small flower shops, we arrive at the Synagogue, which we visit.
For dinner we choose the restaurant "Le bontà di Claudia", where we enjoy excellent home cooking.
One day itinerary at a glance
- Breakfast at Caffè degli Archi
- Fountain of the Seven Spouts - opening hours: always accessible - ticket price: Free
- Palazzo Orsini - opening hours: from Tuesday to Sunday from 10:00 to 13:00 and from 15:00 to 19:00 - ticket price: full price: € 5,00; integrated ticket (Palazzo Orsini plus Cathedral): € 6,00.
- Civic Museum of Etruscan Civilization - timetables: available on the official website - ticket price: full: € 3,00; reduced: € 2,00; cumulative ticket for both archaeological museums: full € 6,00, reduced € 3,00.
- Lunch at Hostaria del Ceccottino
- Jewish ghetto - opening hours: always accessible - ticket price: Free
- Synagogue - opening hours: from April 1st to October 31st from 10:00 to 13:00 and from 14:00 to 18:00; from 1st November to 31st March from 10:00 to 12:30 and from 14:00 to 15:30; closed on Saturday - ticket price: full: € 5,00
- Price at Le bontà di Claudia
Where to eat in Pitigliano: the best restaurants
- Hostaria del Ceccottino: typical Tuscan cuisine, each meal is a small journey through the authentic flavors of the Maremma; some of the typical specialties are tagliatelle with duck sauce, ravioli with ricotta and nettles, pears in red wine and panna cotta with saffron
Average price per person: € 35,00
Address and contacts: piazza San Gregorio VII 64, Pitigliano - Get directions / Tel +39 0564614273
- The goodness of Claudia: home cooking, consisting of Tuscan crostini, ravioli with wild boar sauce, cut of Chianina and many other specialties, cooked with passion and care by the owner
Average price per person: € 25,00
Address and contacts: via Santa Chiara 11, Pitigliano - Get directions / Tel +39 0564615084
- The Magic Tower: historic restaurant and typical Tuscan cuisine at km 0; also excellent pizza
Average price per person: € 17,00
Address and contacts: Piazza Petruccioli 73, Pitigliano - Get directions / Tel +39 0564616260
What to do in the evening: the nightlife areas and the best clubs in Pitigliano
Concentrate in the historic center of the city, pubs, cocktail bars and wine bars are a great way to spend a pleasant evening in Pitigliano, full of good wine, happy hour, events, live music and DJ sets.
Here are some tips on the hottest clubs in Pitigliano!
The best pubs, clubs and discos
- Caffè degli Archi: center of the nightlife of Pitigliano, specialized in happy hours, tastings of native and non-native wines, evenings with live music and DJ sets / Address: Piazza della Repubblica, 267 - Get directions / Facebook page
- PanCaciUa: one of the best wine bars in Pitigliano, offers a rich selection of beers, local wines and spirits / Address: via Cavour, 32 - Get directions / Facebook page
- The loggias Bar Bistrot: an elegant bistro where it will also be possible to taste excellent typical dishes, as well as taste excellent wines and spirits / Address: Piazza San Gregorio VII, 73 - Get directions / Facebook page
Plan your stay in Pitigliano: info and useful tips
- by bus: located about 80 km from Grosseto, Pitigliano can be reached on the Tiemme line, from Grosseto, Siena and Florence; or from Viterbo with the Cotral line.
By train: the closest railway stations are those of Grosseto (80 km), Albinia (50 km), Orbetello (57 km), Viterbo (57 km); the railway lines are still the Tiemme for Tuscany and the Cotral for Lazio.
By plane: the nearest airports are Rome-Fiumicino (150 km), Rome-Ciampino (169 km), Pisa Galileo Galilei international airport (235 km).
- Getting around: it is advisable to visit the village on foot, as there are several areas of the center where transit is allowed only with small motor vehicles
- Where to park: Piazza Dante Alighieri (free parking), Piazza Petruccioli (Get directions), Town Walls
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 60,00 per room -
- What to see in the surroundings: Sovana (7,5 km); Sorano (17,5 km); Magliano in Toscana (68 km); Scansano (48 km), Terme di Saturnia (33,6 km), Lake Bolsena (36 km), Orbetello (67 km)
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking