If you have never been to Vienna in your life, what better occasion than the New Year, to discover its historical past and its traditions? It is a city at the same time modern and projected towards the future, but it maintains its classic aspect thanks to the imperial palaces and its castles. The Christmas season is really fantastic from a tourist point of view, however the magical atmosphere (also enriched by snow!) and for i Christmas markets that animate its streets and squares.
- Plan New Year's Eve in Vienna: flight + hotel and tour offers
- What to do on New Year's Eve: program and events
- Climate and useful info
- User questions and comments
Covid-19 emergency: events, concerts and demonstrations could undergo last-minute changes due to the Coronavirus pandemic. We recommend that you inform yourself well about the situation of the destination you intend to visit before departure. If you are planning a trip, follow government guidelines and make sure you are in line with safety measures.
Plan New Year's Eve in Vienna: flight + hotel and tour offers
The cost of flights and 4 nights in a hotel is around € 534 per person. It is not exactly cheap but it is worth spending a little more to stay near the center and enjoy the Viennese atmosphere.
New Year's Eve Offers in Vienna: Flight + 4 nights in Hotel
- Return flight Rome - Vienna from € 121,00 -
- 4 nights in Vienna from € 411,00 -
- Flight + hotel package:
Return flight + 4 nights / 5 days in 3/4 star hotel - from € 534,00 per person - see the offer
Unmissable tours and activities
What to do on New Year's Eve: program and events
Great cheer and celebration dominate New Year's Eve in Vienna. The Christmas atmosphere remains even in the first days of the new year: some of the famous marketsin fact, they continue to fill the streets and squares. While waiting for the new year, you can stroll while sipping a hot mulled wine among the stalls of the Schönbrunn Palace and find some local handicraft souvenirs to give to your loved ones.
1 - New Year's Eve on the street: Silvesterpfad
The first choice is certainly the Silvesterpfad, the San Silvestro route that crosses the main streets of the center. Starting from 14:00 pm on December 31st you can immerse yourself in a fantastic atmosphere. The route is dotted with delicatessens serving culinary specialties and various music stations offering live shows of all kinds. Do not forget to visit the classical area in the Graben square where, during the afternoon, the city dance schools offer the opportunity to participate in rapid waltz courses. In the Town Hall Square and the Prater, at the stroke of midnight, great fireworks will be staged.
2 - New Year on the Danube
Do you want to spend a different New Year than usual? In Vienna, you can choose to welcome the new year with an unforgettable cruise on the Danube. In the city there are several cruise ships that sail the stretch of river offering guests dinner, musical entertainment and the chimes of the Viennese Pummerin at midnight.
From the open bridges it is also possible to admire the view of the city and witness, without crowds or crowds, to the fireworks on the Danube. The embarkation point is the Reichsbrücke bridge and the itinerary includes the journey to Lock Greifenstein and back. The cost, per person, is approximately € 170,00.
3 - New Year's Grand Ball
An alternative reserved for true waltz and dance enthusiasts is the New Year's dance, the Silvesterball. At the imperial court, lit up for the occasion and decorated with a red carpet, the incredible event will begin at 19.30 pm when guests will be received for dinner, which will also be attended by various personalities from the entertainment world. There will also be some extras in period clothing who will descend the staircase and accompany guests to the Prunksäle. The prices are very high, starting from € 450,00 with dinner attached, € 140,00 only for the dance and € 60,00 for students.
4 - Gala dinner
Another interesting opportunity is the participation in a gala dinner. Feel like princes and princesses of yesteryear, let yourself be amazed by luxurious and impressive settings and enjoy a magical mix of classical music, fascinating atmospheres and delicious dishes. Prices are on average high, starting from around € 260,00 per person.
5 - Concert of Classical Music
Vienna was loved by great musicians, including Mozart himself, who died right here in 1791. What a way to celebrate New Year's if not by listening to some eternal masterpieces in a wonderful classical music concert dedicated to musicians linked to Vienna? Prices are quite affordable: Strauss and Mozart Concert at the Vienna Kursalon from € 55,00 per person
The best clubs for young people, clubs and discos for New Year's Eve
- Chelsea - music hall U-Bahnbögen 29-30 - Get directions
- Prater DOME - nightclub Riesenradplatz 7 - Get directions
- Flex - night club Augartenbrücke 1 - Get directions
Climate and useful info
- Weather: Snowy climate, with minimum temperatures of -4 ° C and maximums of 7 ° C. It is recommended to wear warm clothes suitable for a harsh climate, with windproof and possibly waterproof jackets.
- The city is served by only one airport, Vienna-Schwechat, which is located 16 km from the center. The City Airport Train is the fast train that connects the airport and the center of Vienna, starting from 5.38 in the morning until 23.35 in just 16 minutes.
- Getting around: the most efficient public transport are metro and tram. The single ride costs € 2,20, the day ticket € 7,70.
For New Year's Eve, the advice is to go to the place of the party in advance.
- Useful passes and cards: To save on travel and museum entrances, we recommend purchasing the Vienna City Card.
- Average cost for New Year's Eve dinner: from € 80,00 to € 120,00 per person
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking