Madrid has become one of the favorite European destinations for young people to celebrate the New Year. Although costs remain around the European average, Madrid is undoubtedly cheaper than other capitals such as Paris, London or Berlin. The real attraction of the city is the unbridled nightlife, a term that originates in these streets and derives from the great passion of the citizens to go out late in the evening, frequenting clubs, drinking and dancing.
It is not difficult, therefore, to understand how it is possible that this city represents a perfect destination to welcome the arrival of the new year with dignity.
- Plan the New Year in Madrid: flight + hotel and tour offers
- What to do on New Year's Eve: program and events
- Climate and useful info
- User questions and comments
Covid-19 emergency: events, concerts and demonstrations could undergo last-minute changes due to the Coronavirus pandemic. We recommend that you inform yourself well about the situation of the destination you intend to visit before departure. If you are planning a trip, follow government guidelines and make sure you are in line with safety measures.
Plan the New Year in Madrid: flight + hotel and tour offers
The city is well connected and can be reached by flights from any airport. Low cost airlines carry out numerous daily flights to the Spanish capital, in the chosen period on average cost of flights and hotels for 4 nights is € 492,00 per person. Timing plays a fundamental role, by booking in advance it is possible to take advantage of very advantageous offers.
Offers New Year's Eve in Madrid: Flight + 4 nights in Hotel
- Return Rome - Madrid from € 172,00 -
- 4 nights in Madrid from € 320,00 -
- Flight + hotel package:
Return flight + 4 nights / 5 days in 3/4 star hotel - from € 492,00 per person - see the offer
Unmissable tours and activities
What to do on New Year's Eve: program and events
If already Madrid is famous for its vibrant nightlife during the rest of the year, think about what can happen on New Year's Eve. The "nocheveja" means celebrations in the square for the Spanish capital, even if there is no lack of alternatives. It is in fact considered one of the most heartfelt and traditional celebrations of Spanish culture.
1 - New Year's Eve in the square: Puerta del Sol
The most famous event in the Spanish city. In anticipation of midnight, a large crowd goes wild with music and entertainment. The atmosphere is cheerful and never harassing, thanks to the Spanish police who are not too subtle with those who overdo it, so be careful! There are many stalls, some of which may be useful to complete your party look: the Spaniards love to use colorful wigs looking forward to the new year. Another tradition not to be missed is that of 12 grapes, to eat one after the other following the last 12 strokes of the year of the clock of the Royal Palace Casa de Correos. It seems that it is a good omen to eat a grape for each month of the year. The complete program of the evening will be available close to the party.
2 - New Year's Eve in the square: Plaza Mayor
A less wild but equally fun alternative is the one that offers another important city square, namely Plaza Mayor. The atmosphere is decidedly more relaxed, perhaps because of the magnificent frescoed buildings that surround the square or because of the presence of elegant cafes with space also outdoors. The more refined environment, however, does not compromise the fun, even in this part of the city, in fact, there is no lack of entertainment. There are many stalls selling pelucas (wigs) of every type and color, so as not to be unprepared at the stroke of midnight. Unmissable the 12 grapes, as well as entertainment for all tastes, music, dances and fireworks for the new year.
3 - Teleferico de Madrid
If you want to spend a truly alternative New Year, choose to spend it aboard the Madrid funicular. It is certainly a unique experience, that of celebrating the new year "suspended" over the city! The company that manages the cable car organizes, in fact, the last race of the year to allow you to admire the celebrations and fireworks that take place in the city from a privileged point of view.
The best clubs for young people, clubs and discos for New Year's Eve
- Cafe La Palma - bar with live music Calle de la Palma, 62 - Get directions
- Joy Eslava Madrid - nightclub Calle del Arenal, 11 - Get directions
- Moondance - nightclub Calle Aduana, 21 - Get directions
Climate and useful info
- Weather: rainy with temperatures between 3 ° C and 11 ° C. The recommended clothing is therefore of the winter type, with the possibility of being able to comfortably discover in case of rise in temperatures - find out more about the climate in Madrid
- Barajas International Airport is about 18 km from the center of Madrid (about 20/40 minutes), and is connected with direct flights to the main European and Italian cities. The direct Rome-Madrid flight lasts 2 hours and 35 minutes.
- Getting around: The Madrid metro is very efficient and includes 12 lines, which represent the best way to get around the city. The single ticket costs € 1,50, the 10-ticket booklet costs € 12,20.
- Useful passes and cards: to save on admission tickets to museums, on bike and scooter rental and on meals, we recommend purchasing the Madrid iVenture Card.
- Average cost for New Year's Eve dinner: from € 50,00 / 70,00 per person.