Mykonos is a Greek island belonging to the Cyclades, the circle-shaped archipelago located in the Aegean Sea. IS the island famous for its long beach parties, which attract numerous tourists from all over the world every summer.
Yet Mykonos is also capable of showing another side of himself, the most romantic, natural and ancient one, especially in the months before and after the summer season, which some travelers consider too noisy and transgressive. Music, DJs, white houses, colorful flowers on the windows, old buildings, small churches, windmills and breathtaking sunsets over the sea: Mykonos is all that is believed and all that is not expected.
Here is a driving on Mykonos: where is it, when to go and what to see!
- Travel informed: useful information
- Where it is
- When to go? Info on climate and best time
- 10 things to see: beaches and places of interest
- What to do in Mykonos: excursions and tours
- How much does a holiday in Mykonos cost? Prices, offers and advice
- User questions and comments
Travel informed: useful information
- Inhabitants: 9.320
- Capital: Mykonos
- Languages: modern Greek, English is widespread in the most touristic areas
- Local currency: euro (€)
- Weather: Mediterranean, with mild winters and hot summers (annual temperature 8 ° / 29 °)
- Entry requirements: for Italian citizens only a valid passport or identity card is required; for a stay longer than 6 months it is necessary to be registered by the authorities
- Travel / health insurance: recommended.
Where it is
Mykonos is one of the 220 islands belonging to the Cyclades archipelago, located in the Aegean Sea and forming part of the State of Greece. It is close to Tire, Naxos, Sito and Paros and is 175 km from Athens, the capital.
How to reach us
- From the main European capitals: there are several scheduled airlines that connect the main European capitals to Mykonos, such as the Spanish national airline, Vueling, the English EasyJet, the French Air France; in almost all cases there is a stopover in Athens - Compare flights to Mykonos
When to go? Info on climate and best time
- Weather: Mediterranean, the winters are mild and rainy, the summer days are hot and sunny; the average temperature recorded in January is 10,5 °, that of July and August is 24 °; rainfall, never abundant, occurs from October to March; the sea temperature is never too high because the island is characterized by a cool wind, in summer the water reaches 23 °, in winter about 15 °
- Best time: from June to September; the excursions and visits to be done on the whole island are also enjoyable in spring
- Period to avoid: no period is to be absolutely avoided, however winter days are less sunny and precipitation may occur
- Advice: it is preferable to pack some sweatshirts even to stay in the summer, as the frequent wind makes the evenings particularly cool
10 things to see: beaches and places of interest
- Paradise Beach: for those who want to have fun and go to parties, this beach of fine sand and sea with blue shades is ideal. It is a super equipped beach for fun from every point of view. It is located 6 km from Mykonos town.
- Matoyianni Street: the long shopping street that starts near the old port. Restaurants, shops, small boutiques of various kinds are immersed in the Greek architectural style, with white houses and flowered balconies that form a perennial frame.
- Agios Ioannis: it is the beach suitable for families and for those seeking relaxation. The atmosphere is intimate and quiet, the sand is very fine and the water is crystal clear, the establishments are well equipped and there is also a car park nearby.
- Chora: the capital, located on a hill in the north-eastern part of the city. It is a village with low white houses, colorful flowers on the windowsill, small labyrinthine streets: it is the symbolic place of Mykonos, truly unmissable.
- Little Venice: in the eastern part of the Chora there is this small neighborhood compared to Venice. The typically Greek white houses are built directly on the sea, some are houses, others are bars and taverns.
- Kato Myli: the location above and visible from Little Venice, is characterized by the presence of beautiful windmills. The mills, dating back to 1500, can be reached by climbing a staircase. At the top, the view on the island offers a thousand colors.
- Armenistis Lighthouse: away from the shops and crowds, it is the perfect place to admire the retro charm of Mykonos. Its construction dates back to 1891 and its architecture has remained unchanged over time: a dip in history 5 km from the city.
- Ano Mera: the small village 8 km from the center, dating back to 1600. It is a place to breathe tradition and art. A visit to the numerous works in the monastery is a must, and you cannot miss a meal in the taverns of the central square.
- Kastro: the area near the port and Little Venice where the Panagia Paraportiani church stands, declared a national monument. The white walls of the building dominate the entire landscape and it is inevitable to get lost in this pure and eternal color.
- Andros: from Mykonos there are many day or half-day excursions to Andros, the second largest island of the Cyclades. Here you can discover this beautiful island and its incredible biodiversity
What to do in Mykonos: excursions and tours
How much does a holiday in Mykonos cost? Prices, offers and advice
A vacation in Mykonos it can be quite expensive, this is because over time the small island is become a destination taken by storm, especially in the high season.
Booking well in advance it is possible to find flights of low cost airlines starting from € 60,00, (in high season they even exceed € 300,00). A night in the hotel could cost € 150,00- € 200,00 and the more basic places have lower rates, from € 35,00 to € 50,00 (depending on the season). If you want to opt for the flight + hotel packages, the costs for a week per person in summer are around € 1.100,00.
Eating in the city can be cheap if you consume pita on the fly, while sitting in taverns can cost from € 35,00 per person, up to € 70,00 - € 100,00 in the most sought after places. The car rental service varies from € 30,00 per day in low season to € 80,00 in high season. The cost of umbrellas with sunbeds must not be overlooked on the beach, the rate varies from € 20,00 to € 50,00 (sometimes in trendy establishments there is a compulsory drink at the bar).
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 50,00 per room -
- starting from € 60,00 -
- Return flight + 7 days / 6 nights from € 950,00 per person -