The famous Mondello beach it is a favorite destination for Italian and foreign tourists who, thanks to the mild temperatures already present in the late spring months, are stormed starting from the so-called "low season".
It is a trendy location, characterized by crystal clear and often very warm water, but above all full of services and very popular with young people, who make its "nightlife" sparkling during the summer months. Here is everything you need to know about the beach: how to get there, where to park, what to see and what to do.
- How to reach us
- Free beach, lidos and bathing establishments
- Where to sleep nearby: hotels, resorts and b & bs
- What to do and see in the surrounding area
- User questions and comments
How to reach us
- From the highway: exiting at the Mondello / Tommaso Natale junction on the A29 Palermo / Mazara del Vallo (once you exit, follow the signs).
- By car from Palermo: 12,5 km from Palermo. It can be reached via the SS113, the E90, or the internal road of the Parco della Favorita up to Viale Margherita di Savoia (just follow the signs). Journey time 20 minutes.
- By public transport from Palermo: via bus 806. You can take it every 15 minutes from Piazza Sturzo (Get directions) or Piazza Politeama (Get directions). Journey time about 30 minutes. Single ride ticket € 1,40.
- Directions: Get directions
Where to park
Near the beach there are some public car parks (on the sides of the streets or in Viale Galatea) but it is often difficult to find a place (especially on weekends). Better to go to one of the many private car parks. The average hourly rate is around € 1,00 / 2,00, the daily ticket starts at € 5,00. Among the private car parks we recommend:
- Parking Mondello: Viale Principe di Scalea - Get directions
- ParkinGalatea Car Wash & Car Rental: Viale Galatea - Get directions
- Parking Oleandri: Via degli Oleandri - Get directions.
Free beach, lidos and bathing establishments
With its 1,5 km long coastline, Mondello offers the opportunity to stop in free beaches, or to opt for the comforts offered by shores of the area, open every day from 9:00 to 19:00 approximately from May st to September.
The beaches are often crowded, especially on weekends, to make sure you get there early in the morning, or even better book one day in advance (about € 20,00 for daily rental of two deck chairs and an umbrella).
It should also be said that most of the beaches offer monthly and weekly passes and / or admissions.
Below we recommend some of the main beaches:
- Lido Valdesi: comfort aimed at young couples, families with adolescent children. It offers bars, umbrellas, showers, sunbeds, sometimes entertainment for children and evening music shows. Facebook page - Get directions
- Lido Sirenetta: a few steps from the bus stop 806, it is recommended for families with children. It offers bar service, entertainment for children and in general all the main services (canoe, pedal boat rental, etc.). Facebook page - Get directions
- Lido Establishment: perhaps more suitable for a more "adult" user, it is located near the Ancient Bathing Establishment of Mondello and has a restaurant and a large parking area. Facebook page - Get directions
Where to sleep nearby: hotels, resorts and b & bs
Such a famous beach could only be equipped with accommodation facilities designed for the needs of all kinds of tourists, from the family in search of relaxation to the younger group, who have come to Mondello to conduct a holiday full of surprises and long, unforgettable nights on the seafront. Here is the list of recommended accommodations to sleep in mondello.
What to do and see in the surrounding area
- The Liberty of Mondello: The Liberty style villas along the coast give a "modernist" allure to the village; a real must for beach goers is the Antico Stabilimento Balneare, whose history is fascinating and linked to the period of the Second World War, when it was used as a headquarters, first by the Fascists and the German army, then by the allied forces . The Antico Stabilimento Balneare houses an excellent fish restaurant inside and is often a popular destination for ceremonies of various kinds.
- Boat tour: they are the best way to enjoy the Palermitan coast. We recommend this half-day boat trip, which allows you to admire not only Mondello, but also the clear waters of the Addaura cove, the nearby Capo Gallo Reserve and the beautiful Isola delle Femmine.
- Sports and Events: Mondello has hosted the World Festival On The Beach since 1985, a sporting and musical event which, every year, is characterized above all by the Windsurfer Legend Race, a slalom course competition reserved for continental and world champions, the two European Championships - the Open Tecno 293 and the Open RS: X - and the regional Windsurf Sicily Grand Prix regatta.
- The House of Ghosts: not only outdoor life, but also mystery in Mondello, thanks to the disturbing presence of the "House of ghosts", a Pompeian-style villa currently inhabited in which, according to the discordant versions of local stories, Nazi soldiers, prisoners of war or the Allies, all killed in the period of the Second World War.
- Visit the Chinese Building: located inside the well-known Parco della Favorita, at the behest of Ferdinand III of Bourbon in 1799 the palace, in clear oriental style, became the official residence of the sovereign.
Entrance to the Chinese Building is free; the building opens its doors to the public from Tuesday to Saturday from 9 to 19; Sundays and holidays from 9 to 13,30.
- Mondello by Night: For lovers of nightlife, we could not fail to point out one of the most popular clubs in the area: the Country Disco Pub in Palermo, in Viale dell'Olimpo, 1 / a. What better place to spend an unforgettable night, punctuated by the music of the most famous national and international DJs, such as Prezioso and Marvin, undisputed kings of nineties dance?
The restaurant is open every Friday and Saturday evening, from 22pm to 30am. By 03:00 pm it is possible to book entry to the Facebook page list.