Maratea is a splendid Italian tourist resort. Considered one of the typical tourist destinations for Italian holidays, Maratea is able to offer naturalistic and cultural attractions. Living a holiday in Maratea does not only mean relaxing and enjoying a lot of comfort but also going to the discovery of art and culture. In addition, there are several attractions perfect for those with an adventurous spirit and ready for action. Here's what to see, where to eat and what to do in the evening in Maratea
- 10 things to see in Maratea in a weekend
- What to see in Maratea in one day: recommended itinerary
- Where to eat in Maratea: the best restaurants
- What to do in the evening: the nightlife areas and the best clubs in Maratea
- Plan your stay in Maratea: info and useful tips
- User questions and comments
10 things to see in Maratea in a weekend
1 - Palazzo de Lieto
The Palazzo de Lieto is a historic building in the center of Maratea, that is to say the locality located on the high ground. The typical eighteenth-century style building is used by MIBACT, an association present on the national territory, for the cultural promotion of the town of Matera. Not by chance, the palace often hosts cultural exhibitions and galleries, especially during the high season. Visiting Palazzo de Lieto is always a good idea.
- the best way is to do it on foot. Starting from the Hospital of Maratea, located in the center of the locality, it is necessary to go entirely through via San Nicola and then pass Largo Palazzo. In total the distance to be covered is 1 Km for about 20 minutes of walking - Get directions
- Times may vary according to the exhibitions
- Variable cost based on the present exhibition
2 - Fountain of the Siren
The Fountain of the Siren is one of the most elegant monuments in Maratea. This monument is located in the main square of the town located high up and especially in the evening it becomes the meeting point of the local inhabitants. The statue turns out to be really beautiful, with dozens of details made with the utmost care. Unfortunately the author of the work is unknown and still today no one knows the true artist of this masterpiece. The fountain is a reference point to be considered in case of a group trip to Maratea.
- starting from the Hospital of Maratea, it is possible to reach the Fountain after about 15 minutes on foot. The roads to follow are via San Nicola, Via Santa Maria delle Grazie and Viale Unità d'Italia, before reaching Piazza Mercato, where the fountain is located. In total the route is about 1 km long - Get directions
- always accessible
3 - Ruins of Maratea Vecchia
The ruins of Maratea Vecchia, or Maratea Superiore, they are very interesting to visit. In fact, these remains create a suggestive atmosphere from all points of view.The remains of the inhabited locality represent a sort of ghost town, now uninhabited and in ruins. The more adventurous will surely love to visit this place and will appreciate discovering more about the roots of Maratea.
- it is necessary to have a car. There is no public transport and furthermore getting there on foot seems impossible, since one would have to climb Monte San Biagio. Starting from the Maratea hospital by car, you need to take the Provincial road 3 Tirrena and then continue on Via Carlo Mazzeo. The total route is about 10 km for a route that takes 25 minutes on average - Get directions
- Always accessible
4 - Monte San Biagio
Monte San Biagio is certainly one of the symbols of Maratea. In fact, many people know Maratea for this place and come to the well-known tourist resort only to visit it. Moreover, the mountain is also a reference point for lovers of activities such as hiking or trekking. In fact, there are nature trails through which it is possible to admire the flora and fauna of the place. Not by chance, this mountain has been named one of the Italian wonders by various experts.
- it is necessary to take the car to reach Monte San Biagio. Starting from the Maratea hospital, you have to take the Provincial road 3 Tirrena and then get to the top of the mountain through Via Carlo Mazzeo. The distance between Maratea and the Monte is about 10 km with a time period of about 25 minutes - Get directions
- Always accessible
- Maratea: private tour of Monte Biagio
5 - Basilica of San Biagio
An ancient sacred Basilica very important for those who consider themselves lovers of Christianity. The Basilica of San Biagio is very modest and does not represent the glitz and luxury that so much is seen in much more famous religious places. This is because this church fully reflects the life that the ancient inhabitants of Maratea Superiore practiced. However, the church is kept in excellent condition and is really beautiful to look at.
- it is located at a prohibitive distance from the center of Maratea and those who do not own a car may find it difficult to reach the building. By car, however, the road to go is Provincial 3 Tirrena and then to reach the top of Mount San Biagio through Via Carlo Mazzeo. Of course this is the path to follow if you start from the Maratea Hospital, a central point of the town. The distance is 10 km and on average it takes 20 minutes to get to your destination - Get directions
- Always accessible
6 - Statue of Christ the Redeemer
The Statue of Christ the Redeemer of Maratea is a famous attraction throughout Italy, if not all over the world. The faithful from all over the globe come to admire this statue that looks like a proportionate reproduction of the Christ the Redeemer of Rio de Janeiro. Once you reach the statue it is also possible to admire a magnificent panorama, remaining entranced by the beauty of the coast.
- it is necessary to have a car. The route to be taken involves crossing the Provincial Road Tirrena 3 and then climbing the mountain through Via Carlo Mazzei. The route is about 10 km long and to cover it the average time varies between 20 and 25 minutes - Get directions
- always accessible
7 - Fiumicello beach
The Fiumicello beach is located in the locality of the same name, a few kilometers away from Maratea. The beach turns out to be really beautiful, with a soft and fine sand that caresses the body. The sea that bathes the coast is shining, crystalline, anyone is able to see themselves in the water. Being quite wide, the beach is also suitable for families with children.
- if you are staying in the center of Maratea, therefore where the Maratea Hospital is located, you must necessarily take the car to reach Fiumicello as there are no vehicles and the distance is about 4 km. The roads to take by car are the Statale Tirrena Inferiore 18 and exit at the Fiumicello exit. Journey time is approximately 10 minutes - Get directions
- always accessible
8 - Black Beach
The Black Beach is a characteristic beach located in the town called Marina di Maratea. This beach is really special, so much so that its formation is very reminiscent of the volcanic beaches that can be found in Polynesia, specifically in Tahiti. Lovers of the sea should definitely pay a visit to this place, to experience an exceptional bathing experience.
- taking the local hospital as the starting point, you have to take the car. At that point it is necessary to take the Provincial road Tirrena 3 first and then take the Strada Stratale Tirrena 18. At that point you have to exit at the indication Maratea Inferiore. The travel time is 6 minutes for a route about 4 km long - Get directions
- always accessible
9 - Santa Teresa beach
The beach of Santa Teresa is very wide and is beautiful. The sand is soft suitable for anyone. This beach is ideal for those who want to relax and seek some relaxation in their typical holiday. The beach is one of the most beautiful in Marina di Maratea, tourist place that especially in summer is visited by hundreds of people.
- you can get to the beach by regional train and in particular to Marina di Maratea, but it would be a challenge due to the stops that are not direct. The choice to reach the beach therefore falls on the car. In this case, take the Strada Statale Tirrena Inferiore 18 and follow the next Via Marina di Maratea. The travel time is about 8 minutes for a length of almost 5 km - Get directions
- always accessible
10 - Caves of Wonders
The Caves of Wonders are located in Marina di Maratea, a few kilometers from the town of Maratea center. Exploring these caves leaves both adults and children speechless. Indeed, inside the caves it is possible to admire enormous rocky structures such as stalactites or stalagmites. Inside the caves, to better explore them and learn about their history, tours are organized with professional and expert guides.
- starting from the center of Maratea located near the hospital of the town, it is necessary to take the car. In detail, take the Strada Statale Tirrena Inferiore 18 and follow the subsequent Via Marina di Maratea. The travel time is about 6 minutes for a length of almost 4 km - Get directions
- every day from 10:30 - 13:30 / 15:30 - 18:30
- Adults € 6,00 - Children up to 6 years free - Free Italian Speological Society members
What to see in Maratea in one day: recommended itinerary
MORNING: at 08:00 to start the day in the best possible way it is recommended to have breakfast at the Bar Caffè e Dolcezze in Laprea, located in Piazza Buraglia. After having a leisurely breakfast, at 09:00 you can visit the De Lieto Palace. This palace has an eighteenth-century style that is very beautiful to see. Furthermore, being managed by MIBAC, it is not uncommon for this building to host art-themed exhibitions or galleries. In the center of Maratea, after visiting the palace, around 10:00 it is recommended to go and see the Fountain of the Siren. The latter is one of the most elegant points of interest in Maratea, with numerous truly refined decorations. The author of this work, however, appears to be unknown. After visiting the fountain, you will need to move towards the Monte San Biagio. At 11:30 you will have the opportunity to visit the naturalistic landscape of the Monte, which offers various panoramic points from which it is possible to admire Maratea and its port. At 12:00 it will be good to visit two important monuments on the mountain namely the Basilica of San Biagio and Statue of Christ the Redeemer. These monuments are known practically all over the world. In particular, the statue of Christ the Redeemer is very well known, since it seems to echo the much more famous statue of the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
AFTERNOON: at 13:30, after visiting the Basilica of San Biagio and the Statue of Christ the Redeemer, it is good to stop for lunch. Near the basilica there is an interesting local restaurant called Lucania Botteghe. In this restaurant it is possible to eat a light meal, which satisfies the stomach but at the same time allows you to resume your itinerary. At 14 pm, always remaining on Monte San Biagio, it is possible to admire the Ruins of Maratea Vecchia. These ruins are a testimony of the ancient life of Maratea, which took place between peasants and a few acquaintances. At 15:00, you will have to continue with your itinerary and you can choose to move on the coast of Marina of Maratea. In this place there are several really beautiful beaches to visit. The advice is to visit and maybe swim on the famous one Black Beach. As the name suggests, the sand in this place is black, just like it is in exotic destinations like Polynesia. You can stay on the beach all afternoon to relax and enjoy some healthy comfort.
SERA: at 19:30 it will be time to return to Maratea to return to your accommodation. But first, there's nothing better to do than dine at one of the best restaurants in Porto Maratea! At 20:00 you can dine at the 1999 Restaurant, one of the best in the area. A dinner in this restaurant, in addition to being tasty thanks to the varied menu based on fish, turns out to be very romantic. An excellent way to end your one day itinerary in Maratea.
One day itinerary at a glance
- Breakfast at Bar Caffè e Dolcezze di Laprea - Get directions
- Palazzo de Lieto - opening hours: varies according to the exhibitions - ticket price: varies according to the exhibitions
- Fountain of the Siren - opening hours: always accessible - ticket price: free
- Basilica of San Biagio - opening hours: always accessible - ticket price: free
- Statue of Christ the Redeemer - opening hours: always accessible - ticket price: free
- Lunch at Lucania Botteghe - Get directions
- Ruins of Maratea Vecchia - timetables: always available - ticket price: free
- Black Beach - timetables: always available - ticket price: free
- Dinner at 1999 Restaurant - Get directions
Where to eat in Maratea: the best restaurants
- 1999 restaurant: very good restaurant, located in Porto di Maratea with different seafood specialties
Average price per person: € 20,00
Address and contacts: via porto racia, 1 / A (Get directions) / tel: (+39) 3387441250
- The Tavern of Zu Cicco: tavern with very characteristic wooden furnishings, offers typically Lucanian specialties and recipes
Average price per person: € 20,00
Address and contacts: via verso il trappeto, 32 (Get directions) / tel: 0973873296
- La Perla Restaurant- Ideal restaurant for dining, with meals available until late evening. Tables present both inside and outside the structure
Average price per person: € 25,00
Address and contacts: via cardinal gennari, 4a (Get directions) / tel: (+39) 3313369037
What to do in the evening: the nightlife areas and the best clubs in Maratea
Maratea in terms of nightlife is not very lively. There are no real neighborhoods to look for nightlife and frenetic rhythms. Rather, the times at night are quite extended, even if it is possible to meet a large flow of people, especially during the high season. On the other hand, at night there are several clubs that offer live music and tasteful food to the public.
The best pubs, clubs and discos
- Port Bar: a very lively bar on summer evenings, where you can also enjoy good cocktails
Address: provincial road of Maratea - Castello, 77 (Get directions) / Bar del Porto Facebook page
- Yumara, the Terraces of Taste: very elegant restaurant offering a wide selection of beers, wines and cocktails
Address: via Racia (Get directions)
- Acadie Club: for those who have the opportunity to move, 25 km from Maratea there is the Acadie Club, one of the most famous clubs in Southern Italy, where you can dance all night and have fun
Address: SP1, Scalea (Get directions) / Acadie Club facebook page
Plan your stay in Maratea: info and useful tips
- The main means of transport to get to Maratea is the car. This locality is very well connected to other localities thanks to roads such as the E45 road. The closest airport to Maratea is Naples Capodichino. The latter, however, is about 205 km from Maratea. On average it takes about 2 hours and 30 minutes from the airport to the Lucanian town. Maratea also has a tourist port where medium-sized ships land. There are also several regional trains, provided by the Trenitalia company, which arrive at Maratea station.
- Getting around: the best way is the car. The various attractions are quite distant from each other and reaching them is not easy. It is also necessary to consider that there are 4 places to reach if you want to admire the main points of interest: Maratea, Porto di Maratea, Monte San Biagio and Marina di Maratea. The car is therefore essential to better develop your holiday, as there is no public transport.
- Where to park: to keep your car safe and sleep peacefully, we recommend that you park your car in a guarded car park. among the latter we recommend the Multi-storey car park in Maratea (Get directions) and the Parking Hotel la Locanda car park (Get directions), both near the historic center.
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 48,00 per room -
- What to see in the surroundings: there are several seaside resorts to visit. For example, a few kilometers from Maratea there is the town of Tortora (Get directions). In this place, in particular in Tortora Marina (Get directions) it is possible to take advantage of very beautiful beaches to visit. In the vicinity of Maratea there is also the locality Castrocucco (Get directions), known for its natural farmhouses, where it is possible to spend a day to be in contact with animals such as horses or chickens.