Located in southern Kenya and placed at an altitude of 1.754 meters above sea level, Lake Nakuru National Park is today one of the most authentic African national parks and one of the most famous and visited places in Kenya. Characteristic for being the meeting place for many animal species (especially birds: 450 species have been counted), this carpet of savannah is the perfect place for a safari in the name of emotions and African nature. An atavistic corner of the world where man stands in silence to watch! 163 km away from the capital Nairobi, it is the Mecca of the most curious and fearless travelers.
We just have to find out together! Here's one driving on Lake Nakuru National Park, Kenya: where is it, when to go and what to see!
- Where it is
- When to go? Info on climate and best time
- What to bring: recommended clothing and equipment
- 10 things to see: animals and places of interest
- Excursions and guided tours in Lake Nakuru
- How much does it cost to visit Lake Nakuru National Park? Prices, offers and advice
- User questions and comments
Where it is
Lake Nakuru National Park it is located in central Kenya, in Nakuru County and the Rift Valley. It rises 180 km away from the capital Nairobi and is a protected natural area established in 1961. About 27% of the area is covered by the homonymous lake, Lake Nakuru.
How to reach us
- From the main European capitals: there are no direct flights from Europe, at least one stopover is planned. Average flight duration between 18 and 24 hours depending on the departure airport, starting from € 500,00 return
How to get to Lake Nakuru
Once you land in Nairobi, you can opt for an internal flight towards the small airport of Nakuru, which is only 3 km from the park, and from there continue by taxi (about 35 min, from 3400 KHS / € 28,00) to 4250 KHS / € 35,00. This is certainly the most convenient and fastest solution.
Alternatively, even if the time required is much longer, you can reach the park by land. Once you have reached the center of Nairobi from the airport (18 km) you can take the shuttle bus to Naivasha (93 km; bus departing every hour, approximately 610 KHS / € 5,00). Finally, from Naivasha it will be necessary to continue by taxi towards the park (70 km, 1 h 30 min, average cost of the route 12130 KHS / € 100,00).
When to go? Info on climate and best time
- Weather: in this area of Kenya the climate is mostly warm, with highs around 25 ° and lows around 10 °. The period between June and August remains almost climatically constant and not arid and dry as in other areas of Kenya
- Best time: January and February, best time for safaris; the period from October to December is also good, with little rainfall
- Period to avoid: from March to June, rainy season
- Advice: always opt for layered clothing, as at the first light of dawn the temperature could be quite low. Also protect yourself with long-sleeved clothes in natural fibers, hats or desert turbans, sunscreen and sunglasses, the equatorial sun is much stronger than ours
What to bring: recommended clothing and equipment
- Clothing: light clothing, possibly in natural fibers and neutral colors, comfortable canvas shoes, waterproof for any showers, desert hats or turbans, sunglasses
- Equipment: small trolley (a travel experience like the Safari doesn't require too many clothes), sunscreen, mosquito repellent, camera complete with lenses and memory card, binoculars
10 things to see: animals and places of interest
- Pink flamingos: the animals that have given this national park the most fame. A real candy pink carpet on the shallow waters of Lake Nakuru. An incredible spectacle of nature.
- Birdwatching: certainly one of the most popular activities for tourists who go here. About 450 different species of birds, all to be admired and photographed.
- Marabù and Hyenas: if you are lucky, you will be able to see this incredible battle that takes place around the coast, the storks of Marabù against the hyenas, to take over the poor dead flamingos
- Black rhino: one of the kings of the park. Belonging to the famous big five, to be seen and photographed during his hunting habits
- Baboons: Baboons everywhere. You will find them on the roofs of cars and on the hood. For cheerful and unusual photos ... but be careful to close the windows well or you will also find them inside the car
- Out of Africa Lookout: one of the less frequented points of the park (reaching it will be a bit tiring), with one of the best and unforgettable panoramic views
- Rothschild giraffe: in the park there are 85 specimens and they were brought there from western Kenya, an area where agriculture has greatly affected their habitat
- Hunting for the Big Five: we have probably already spotted the rhino, we just have to go in search of the other Big Five ... or almost: you will see them all (lion, leopard, buffalo) except the elephant
- Baboon Cliff: another wonderful viewpoint, where you can stop for a break or have a picnic overlooking the lake
- Makalia Falls: another of the authentic sceneries offered by the park. The falls grow bigger during the rainy season
Excursions and guided tours in Lake Nakuru
How much does it cost to visit Lake Nakuru National Park? Prices, offers and advice
The cost of a safari It depends on many factors and, of course, above all by the number of nights chosen for the stay. Base prices start at around 24250 KHS / € 200,00 per night per person (there are numerous discounts for children and groups).
A safari in Kenya is certainly not just any trip; we must therefore organize everything in the best possible way! In general, a park like this can also be visited independently, but it will still be good rely on an expert guide booking well in advance, in order to be sure to find a place to stay overnight. There are also tours organized directly from Nairobi, which will take you to discover the park in total safety!
If you choose to visit the park on your own, the entrance fee is approximately 6400 KHS / € 52,78 and is open from Monday to Saturday 8:00 am to 17:00 pm, after sunset it is forbidden to wander alone! Moreover. it is possible to rely on a guide even at the moment of entering the park. A three-hour game drive will cost 17050 KHS (€ 140,00), all inclusive. Always choose the 4x4 jeep (from 12130 KHS / € 100,00 / day) and not the minibus, it is more comfortable along the winding routes, often not reachable by other means.
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 460,00 per room -
- starting from € 307,00 -
Travel informed: useful information on Kenya
- Inhabitants: 51,39 million
- Capital: Nairobi
- Languages: English, Kiswahili; Italian is also widespread on the coast
- Local currency: Kenyan shilling (KSH) / € 1,00 = 115,73 KHS
- Weather: two seasons, one dry from October to March and one rainy from April to September - find out more
- vaccinations: vaccination for yellow fever for travelers from countries at risk of transmitting the disease or for travelers only in airport transit through these countries
- Entry requirements: passport with residual validity of at least six months; for tourist trips, tourist visa (€ 40,00) to be requested directly on the official website with a validity of one month or three months and renewable for up to six months
- Travel / health insurance: recommended.