Located inland from Cape Coast, Ghana, the Kakum area was declared a protected National Park in 1992. Characterized by areas of virgin rainforest, completely untouched by man and so dense that it does not even let the sunlight through, it is the natural habitat of many animal species, including elephants, monkeys, leopards, warthogs and bongos. For this reason, it comes to one of the favorite places for safari and adventure lovers.
In this article, we will try to find out more about this park, which is in effect one of the most hidden and incredible corners on Earth. Here all you need to know about Kakum National Park, Ghana: where is it, when to go and what to see!
- Where it is
- When to go? Info on climate and best time
- What to bring: clothing
- 10 things to see: animals and places of interest
- How much does it cost to visit Kakum Park? Prices, offers and advice
- User questions and comments
Where it is
Kakum National Park is located in the homonymous town of Kakum, located 20 km from Cape Coast. It is about one of the largest equipped natural parks in Ghana. It extends for over 350 square kilometers and most of the territory is covered by rainforest.
How to reach us
- From the main European capitals: the only direct flight is operated by Airfrance, from Paris Charles de Gaulle to Accra, active only on certain days of the week and with a duration of 6 h. In the other cases, it is necessary to take into account 1 or 2 stopovers and a flight duration that varies from 20 to 30 hours on Secondi-Takoradi, and from 10 to 15 hours on Accra. The flag carriers active on these routes are: Africa World Airlines, Royal Maroc, Tap Air Portugal, Turkish Airlines, KLM, Airfrance - Compare Flights to Kakum National Park
How to get to the Kakum National Park
The best solution is to organize the entire trip with the help of a specialized agency, who will be able to show you the best way to reach the park, sometimes offering private transport directly.
In case you are independently organized the trip, Once landed, you must proceed towards Cape Coast.
Da Takoradi we recommend the bus that leaves directly from the airport twice a day: from Takoradi to Tema (5h, € 8,00), from there to Cape Coast (3h and 21 min, € 6,00).
Da Accra, you can take bus line 456 from Alliance to Okponglo, line 389 or 386 from Okponglo to Accra New Town, line 376 or 368 from Accra New Town to Accra New Tema Station and from there single bus to Cape Coast (2 h, € 5,00).
Once in Cape Coast, to reach the Kakum National Park you have to proceed in tro-tro from Kotokuraba station (45 min, € 0,56). The tro-tro stops near the park entrance (five minutes on foot following the signs).
When to go? Info on climate and best time
- Weather: tropical type, average day temperature 32 °, night 24 °. Rainfall arrives at the end of March and becomes more and more frequent, up to the maximum during the month of June. The sea temperature is around 27 °
- Best time: between January and March. The wind blowing from the east and north-east makes the climate mild and pleasant
- Period to avoid: May and June are the wettest months
- Advice: bring with you a versatile suitcase, which contains what is necessary for bad weather and possible unforeseen events in a wonderful land like Africa. Yes to scarves (to shelter from the wind loaded with sand), umbrellas, raincoats and clothes in natural fibers
What to bring: clothing
- Clothing: light clothing, possibly in natural fibers, a sweatshirt for the evening
- Equipment: scarf, raincoat, binoculars, camera. Comfortable, insect repellent shoes and clothing
10 things to see: animals and places of interest
- Canopy walk: real walks on the top of the trees inside the park, thanks to platforms connected by suspension bridges, to spot wild animals and breathtaking views
- Monkey Forest: Monkey Sanctuary, located along the road to Kakum. On site, in addition to the monkeys, it will also be possible to admire other animals, including turtles and two alligators
- International Stingless bee center: another place totally immersed in African nature, dedicated to bees. It will be possible to know and buy different types of honey
- Birdwatching: more than 400 species of birds to admire and photograph. Common: White-throated Bee Eater, Yellow-Billed Kite, African Hobby, Black-Winged Lapwing, Long-Tailed Cormorant, Smooth-Backed Pipit, African Pygmy Goose, Long-tailed Nightjar
- Hiking: backpacking, discovering the rainforest and the most important species of medicinal trees that grow here
- Rare endangered animal species: leopards, bonobos, forest antelopes, buffaloes, duikers and red river pigs
- Butterflies: over 500 different and colorful species. A little charm for the eyes
- Kakum Museum: a walk through flora, fauna, culture and local history. The handicraft shop is also very interesting.
- Camping under the stars: tent, mattress and sheets, inside the park there is also the possibility of camping and living it at night, spotting animals or simply enjoying an unforgettable landscape
- Wildlife Education Center: a very important initiative, aimed at protecting wildlife and especially endangered species, from the hands of poachers. Knowing their projects will add more interest and experience to your visit to the Park.
How much does it cost to visit Kakum Park? Prices, offers and advice
Kakum National Park is open every day, from 6:00 until sunset. It is advisable to arrive around seven, in order to spot as many animal species as possible.
They will also be on site specialized guides available who will explain specific characteristics of local fauna and flora, especially the very important and precious medicinal plants that grow here.
The costs are not particularly high.
L'entrance to the park provides a figure starting from 40,00 GHS (€ 6,50) to which you must then add the costs of the various experiences you will choose to do: camping or hiking for example from 85,00 GHS (€ 13,40 ) per person. The journey to the park from Cape Coast is around 3,50 GHS (€ 0,55). As already mentioned, numerous expert guides are available on site. However, for experiences like these, in places so different from ours, it is always advisable to contact an agency in advance, so as not to leave anything to chance.
- in Cape Coast Hotels and b & b from € 25,00 per room
- starting from € 647,00 -
Travel informed: useful information on Ghana
- Inhabitants: 28.210.000
- Capital: Accra
- Languages: English; various local languages are also widespread (Akan, Ga, Twi, Fante, Ewe, Housa, etc.)
- Local currency: New Ghana Cedi (GHS) / € 1,00 = 6,29 GHS
- Weather: tropical climate, variable according to the presence of the sea. Average temperatures in coastal areas are around 25/35 °. There are only two seasons: dry, from November to April, and rainy, from June to October
- vaccinations: Yellow fever vaccination certificate mandatory, to be shown on arrival. Typhus, hepatitis A and B, tetanus and maningitis are recommended
- Entry requirements: passport with residual validity of at least six months; entry visa to be requested before departure in Italy at the Embassy of Ghana in Rome and the Honorary Consulates of Ghana in Brescia, Palermo, Turin and L'Aquila
- Travel / health insurance: recommended.