Once the capital of Judea, today Jerusalem is one of the most disputed cities in the world.
Although it is considered by the Israelis their capital, and in all respects it is, the international community does not recognize it as such.
The old part of Jerusalem is divided into 4 distinct neighborhoods, Jewish, Christian, Armenian and Muslim and here people coexist amiably.
If you are planning a trip between Israel and Palestine, here is everything you absolutely need to know about Jerusalem: where it is, how far to go and what to see.
- Travel informed: useful information
- Where it is
- When to go? Info on climate and best time
- 10 things to see: the places of interest
- What to do in Jerusalem: excursions and tours
- How much does a holiday in Jerusalem cost? Prices, offers and advice
- User questions and comments
Travel informed: useful information
- Inhabitants: 890.428
- Languages: modern Hebrew, Arabic and English
- Local currency: Israeli shekel (NIS) / € 1,00 = NIS 3,92
- Weather: continental, due to the distance from the sea and the higher altitude, Jerusalem is 700 meters above sea level; average temperatures range from 9 ° in January to 25 ° in August, while rainfall is about 550 mm per year, with a total of 59 rainy days concentrated between November and April
- Time zone: + 1h compared to Italy
- vaccinations: no vaccination required
- Entry requirements: passport with residual validity of 6 months; visa not necessary for tourist stays of up to 90 days, at the time of entry the passport is no longer stamped but a coupon is given with all the traveler and travel data to be kept absolutely until returning to Italy
- Travel / health insurance: recommended.
Where it is
Jerusalem, the capital of Israel, with its 125 square kilometers, is located on theplateau that separates the eastern coast of the Mediterranean from the Dead Sea, at a height of about 700 meters above the sea level.
Tel Aviv is 60 kilometers to the west (1 hour by car and about 50 minutes by public transport) while the Dead Sea, Jericho and Bethlehem lie to the east.
How to reach us
- From the main European capitals: there are direct flights from most European capitals always with the Ben-Gurion International Airport in Tel Aviv, for example from Zurich there are numerous flights with the Swiss company, from London there are direct flights with Easy Jet, Virgin and British, from Paris fly Air France and Easy Jet, while from Amsterdam Transavia, KLM and Easy Jet.
When to go? Info on climate and best time
- Weather: continental type, warm and temperate with short winters whose average temperatures are around 12 ° and hot and dry summers with an average of 23 °, while rainfall is about 550 mm per year, with a total of 59 days of rain concentrated between November and April
- Best time: the intermediate seasons, from March to May and from September to November, with excellent and not too hot temperatures
- Period to avoid: although there is no period to avoid, it may rain from November to February, but temperatures never drop below 6/8 °
- Advice: in summer, bring light clothing in your suitcase, a hat to shelter from the sun, comfortable shoes for walking; in winter a medium weight waterproof jacket, a sweater, long pants, rain shoes and an umbrella
10 things to see: the places of interest
- Al Haram Ash Sharif Temple Mount it is one of the most contested sacred places by Jews and Muslims and is a high esplanade with cypresses that houses the Dome of the Rock and the Al Aqsa Mosque.
- Jaffa Gate, one of the six entrances to the city that leads to the ancient city and looks like a pedestrian tunnel that was used to slow down the charge of the enemy forces.
- The Citadel, known as the Tower of David, in addition to hosting the Museum of the History of Jerusalem, allows you to admire a splendid panorama over the whole of Jerusalem. Do not miss the "Notte Spettacolare" the evening show that retraces the history of the city through sounds and lights.
- La Basilica of the Holy Sepulcher, between the Christian and Muslim quarters is the place that Christians identify with Calvary where Jesus was crucified.
- Il Western Wall, in the drunken quarter, is one of the symbols of Jerusalem; here the Jewish people come to pray and touch the sacred stones that are very important to them. If you can, arrive here on the Friday before sunset to witness the start of Shabbat.
- La Damascus Gate, south of Jerusalem, leads to a small paved square manned by Israeli soldiers. This is one of the entrances to the Muslim city.
- Il Mahane Yehuda Market, outside the ancient city, allows you to have a glimpse into the life of those who live here. It is also the perfect place to taste a pomegranate juice or the excellent falafel.
- La Painful way it is the journey made by Jesus with the cross on his shoulders that starts from the Porta dei Leoni where Pontius Pilate condemned him and reaches the Basilica of the Holy Sepulcher or the "Calvary".
- Il Mount of Olives, in addition to being a sacred place of great importance where there are several churches and memorial sites, it is also the ideal point to admire the view over Jerusalem.
- Yad Vaschem is the Holocaust Museum founded in 1953 20 minutes by bus from the old city.
Built to commemorate the Jewish victims of the Holocaust it is a place that leaves no one indifferent.
What to do in Jerusalem: excursions and tours
How much does a holiday in Jerusalem cost? Prices, offers and advice
Jerusalem is a rather expensive city, especially with regard to hotels and restaurants.
To try to save some money, you can stay in the central hostels that offer good value for money and eat in the markets or typical Arab places.
Ci mostly on foot, while to reach the Holocaust Museum you need to take a bus or a taxi.
On the other hand, the Monte degli Ulivi can only be reached by taxi or a long walk of about 1 hour and a half.
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 105,00 per room -
- starting from e125,00 -
- Return flight + 8 days / 7 nights from € 820,00 per person -
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking