I dogs, and pets in general, are our best friends, it is true, but not only: for many of us they are part of the family, and when the family goes on vacation, you do not want to leave any of its members behind, let alone the "hairy" ones. In addition to the difficulty of finding a trusted person to take care of them during the trip, in fact, animals, and especially dogs, could suffer greatly from our absence.
But luckily today travel with fido it has become simpler than in the past, a little organization is obviously needed, but more and more companies in Italy and Europe are able to welcome our four-legged friends and allow us to travel with them, the important thing is follow some precautions which we are going to see now.
- Can dogs and cats travel by train?
- Regulations for the transport of animals by train
- What is the cost of the dog transport ticket?
- 5 Useful tips
- User questions and comments
Can dogs and cats travel by train?
Yup, access on trains is allowed for both dogs and cats that other pets, of course, must strictly follow the rules imposed by the railway companies (I therefore recommend that you always consult the railway regulations before buying tickets), but there are no big limits.
To transport the dog, you must always be equipped with a certificate of registration in the canine registry and health booklet, as well as a leash and muzzle. Under no circumstances may animals occupy seats intended for travelers, in the event that they cause disturbance, it will be necessary to change seats, according to the instructions of the train staff.
Regulations for the transport of animals by train
Su trains of the state railways, and in the majority of European railway companies, i small dogs, cats and other small pets are admitted free of charge in the first and second class of all train categories, within thespecial pet carrier of dimensions not exceeding 70x30x50. Moreover, the transport of dogs is allowed in larger sizes kept on a leash and with a muzzle:
- on Intercity trains;
- on the Frecciabianca, Frecciarossa and Frecciargento trains;
- on Regional trains, in the vestibule or platform of the last carriage (excluding 7-9 am from Monday to Friday);
- in sleeping cars, couchettes and Excelsior cars, for compartments purchased in full.
Remember that animals are not allowed in the restaurant / bar carriages, and that for the transport of dogs it is necessary to have the certificate of registration in the canine registry and health card (or, for dogs of foreign citizens, the "dog passport"), which must be shown at the time of purchasing the ticket for the animal and during the journey. If you are found on board without such documents, yes it is subject to penalties and you will have to get off the train at the first stop.
All these regulations do not apply to guide dogs for the blind, who can travel on all trains for free and without any obligation.
What is the cost of the dog transport ticket?
- small pets inside the pet carrier travel for free.
In other cases, for the transport of the dog it is necessary to purchase, together with the ticket of the companion, a second class ticket or standard level al expected price for the train used reduced by 50% at any station ticket office or authorized travel agency.
5 Useful tips
- If the train makes intermediate stops, where possible the advice is to get your dog off to stretch his legs at least every 2 hours;
- Remember to bring with you deodorants, shovel and brush to clean the fur scraps that your pet may leave around, and for safety also the bag for the collection of excrements;
- Always carry a bottle of water with you to water your pet (the train water is not drinkable), treats and his favorite game to help him feel comfortable, especially in case of long journeys;
- For the transport of dogs, do not forget the necessary: muzzle and leash for large dogs, carrier for small dogs, registration in the canine registry and health book;
- In case of long and tiring journeys, it is always a good idea to take your pet to the vet before leaving for a preventive visit and for any advice on the necessary precautions for the trip.
I just have to wish you all have a good trip with fido!