Ischia is a renowned Italian island, located in the Gulf of Naples. Its origins are volcanic and today it is known for its crazy beaches bathed by crystal clear waters. Another feature that attracts many tourists every year are the thermal waters rich in minerals that flow from some beaches, for example in that of Maronti. But Ischia is not just sea and nature! There is indeed also some history, from scroprie between the Aragonese Castle and the Roman remains on the seabed of the Cartaromana beach. Are you thinking of spending your next holidays there? Here is what you need to know to get to and move around Ischia: info, costs and advice!
- Where it is
- Useful Tips
- How to arrive by sea
- How to get there by plane: nearest airports
- How to get around on foot
- Con i mezzi pubblici
- User questions and comments
Where it is
It is located in the northern tip of the Gulf of Naples, very close to Procida, mirroring Capri which instead represents the southern tip of the same gulf.
Ischia is a very large island, you will necessarily have to bring it use means of transport to get around. It is well stocked with both buses and taxis and rentals. It is well known that taxis are the most expensive means of transport, therefore we recommend the efficient one bus service that travels all over the island. In urban centers, on the other hand, you can move easily walking or, if you are not of the idea of walking, the bicycle it is the most suitable and above all low cost means.
When it comes to buses there is an option that allows you to save money. And the Ischia Card which provides free access in several and the use of vehicles unlimited for 7 days. The Ischia Card Plus which in addition includes a boat excursion. For shorter stays it is possible to simply buy the day ticket or the 3-day pass with which you can save compared to the prices of individual tickets. Finally, we also suggest downloading the public transport app, Eav, to keep lines and stops under control.
- Recommended solutions and means: buses, cars and scooters for hire, bicycles only for urban centers
- Solutions and means not recommended: taxi
- City card: Ischia Card museums and free bus for 7 days (€ 67,00 -) - Ischia Card Plus museums, one boat excursion and free bus for 7 days (€ 97,00 -)
How to arrive by sea
The island is connected to the mainland by ferries and hydrofoils, so you can reach it either on foot or with your own car or motorbike. You can leave for Ischia from the port of Pozzuoli and from the Neapolitan ports of Beverello and Calata Porta di Massa. Costs and travel times vary depending on the vehicle chosen, the port of destination and whether you are on foot or by vehicle.
- From Naples-Molo Beverello: Snav hydrofoils (€ 20,00 each way / 50 minutes) and Caremar ferries (€ 12,30 each way passenger only / € 37,20 each way by vehicle / 1:10 h)
- From Naples-Calata Porta di Massa: Caremar ferries (€ 12,30 each way for passenger only / € 37,20 each way with vehicle / 1:40 h)
- From Pozzuoli: Medmar ferries (€ 11,80 each way passenger only / € 45,00 each way with vehicle / 1:50 h) and Caremar (€ 9,30 each way passenger only / € 28,50 each way with vehicle / 1: 50 h)
How to get there by plane: nearest airports
The island does not have its own airport and to get there a route by sea is required. We have seen that you embark from Naples or Pozzuoli therefore it is first necessary to reach one of these two ports. The reference airport is therefore the international one of Naples, just 7 km from the port of the city and 21 km from Pozzuoli, which is well connected to the rest of Italy by many low cost flights and is also equipped with various means to reach the city center and consequently the ports.
From "Naples Capodichino Airport" to Ischia
- Distance from Ischia: 54 km / travel time: 2 hours by car, taxi or bus + ferry;
- from the airport there are Alibus buses every 20 minutes to the central station and to the Beverello port (€ 5,00, 35 minutes). To get to the port of Calata Porta di Massa there is a free shuttle that connects the two ports. To reach Pozzuoli, get off at the station and continue for another 40 minutes with a regional train, € 4,00
How to get around on foot
The island is quite extensive, in fact it is about 47 square km, so travel is recommended on foot only in urban centers and along the possible itineraries in the countryside of the island. To move between one village and another, it is better to rely on public transport or rental vehicles.
Con i mezzi pubblici
In Ischia, moving from one location to another is not problematic at all! There are several solutions including multiple bus e taxi who travel to every place on the island, but also many options of rental vehicles to be more free in travel. Among the various proposals, the most recommended are the buses with their low prices for long-range travel, while for travel in the areas immediately close to where you are, we would like to recommend the bicycle, both for its low cost and for the fact that it is a non-polluting vehicle.
There are the cheapest way to move around Ischia. The company that manages the service is the Eav Bus and covers a large part of the island with a high frequency of trips divided into 16 active lines all day. In addition, various fare options are available, ideal solutions for tourists who stay on the island for several days.
- 5.30 - 22: 00
- Ticket / single ride cost: € 1,50 / purchase on board € 2,00
- Cost of ticket booklet / season ticket: daily € 4,50 - 3 days € 11,00 - weekly € 14,50
E' the most comfortable and fastest way to move, however, it is also the most expensive. The offer is wide and extensive so you won't have to wait long before finding one and being able to move from one area to another, even during the night. The prices, however, are quite high and also obviously vary according to the distance to be traveled. To get an idea of the costs and routes: Ischia Porto - Ischia Ponte € 10,00, Ischia Porto - Casamicciola € 15,00, Ischia Porto - Lacco Ameno € 20,00, Ischia Porto - Forio € 30,00, Ischia Porto - Sant'Angelo € 40,00, tour of the island € 80,00.
- 24 hours on 24
- Ticket / single ride cost: starting from € 10,00
Cars and scooters for hire
Rent a car or a scooter is a good solution to move independently and free from time constraints. The points to make the rental are many and distributed throughout the island, especially near the ports, just do a short search on the internet to find the one closest to you. For the ease of parking, being Ischia a very popular island, the scooter is more recommended.
- services available 24 hours a day
- Ticket / single ride cost: car from € 40,00 per day / scooter from € 25,00 per day
Bikes for hire
A vehicle that does not allow traveling far and wide on the island, especially during the summer season during which Ischia is very touristy and crowded, but certainly shortens travel times within the chosen location and the places that surround it, as well as being absolutely ecological for those who support the eco-friendly travel style. Also in this case i points to rent are various and scattered throughout the territory, especially at the ports of arrival.
- the rental lasts 24 hours from the pick-up time
- Ticket / single ride cost: from € 10,00 per day
- Cost of ticket booklet / season ticket: 3 days € 24,00 - 5 days € 32,00 - 7 days € 40,00