In the Gulf of Naples rises the beautiful island of Capri: it is one of the most famous and renowned Italian resorts with its magnificent natural beauties, the famous Faraglioni and the Blue Grotto. Even its small inhabited centers are very characteristic and visited every year by thousands of tourists from all over the world. The small size of this island allows for pleasant walks to discover ever new and evocative views of the Mediterranean Sea.
So let's go into detail and find out together how to get to and around Capri: info, costs and tips to make the most of your holiday!
- Useful Tips
- How to arrive by sea
- How to get there by plane: nearest airports
- How to get around on foot
- Con i mezzi pubblici
- User questions and comments
The best way to enjoy the island is by boat! Do not miss the boat tour with a stop at the Blue Grotto, with excursions that also depart from Naples, Sorrento and Amalfi.
Buses and funicular are perfect for reaching the various towns. Use the bus above all to move from the center of Capri to that of Anacapri: the first develops around the Piazzetta, while Anacapri is located higher up, right on the slopes of Monte Solaro. Finally, the other inhabited center is Marina Grande, where the port is located.
To move in the centers it is obviously recommended to move on foot, to visit the attractions and go shopping, then choose among the numerous places where you can have excellent meals typical of the Campania tradition. If you want to know all the narrow streets and highlights of the island, we recommend a guided tour of Capri and Anacapri, which also includes a cruise along the coast and limoncello tasting!
Traveling by car in Capri is prohibited for all non-residents during the summer and the Christmas period; if you need to use a taxi, you would spend around € 20,00 from the port to the town center.
- Recommended solutions and means: by boat, on foot, bus, funicular
- Solutions and means not recommended: car, taxi
- City cards and season tickets recommended: daily public transport ticket (from € 6,00)
How to arrive by sea
From Naples, from Molo Beverello, hydrofoils leave for Capri, while ferries and fast ships depart from Calata di Massa which can also transport motor vehicles. From the port of Sorrento instead ferries and hydrofoils leave.
Le companies that make these connections they are Caremar, Snav and NLG; the ferry takes about 80 minutes, the hydrofoil about 50 minutes and the fast ship about 60 minutes. The frequencies of connections increase considerably during the summer months, the period in which the island of Capri is most visited.
- From Naples / Calata di Massa: Caremar company, 60 min, return ticket from € 38,30
- From Naples / Molo Beverello: NLG company, 50 min, return ticket from € 41,00
- From Naples / Molo Beverello: SNAV company, 50 min, return ticket from € 42,90
- From the Port of Sorrento: SNAV company, 50 minutes, return ticket from € 39,70
- From the Port of Sorrento: NLG company, 50 minutes, return ticket from € 40,86
How to get there by plane: nearest airports
The nearest airport is Naples; from here you can opt for the Alibus which departs from the Terminal 1 exit and makes direct connections to both Calata di Massa and the Beverello pier. Tickets can be purchased directly on board the bus (40 min, € 5,00). Alternatively, take a taxi, the journey will cost you around € 20,00.
From Naples Capodichino to Capri
- Distance from Capri: about 7 km / travel time: 18 min by car;
- Alibus company bus from the airport to the port of Naples (40 min, from € 5,00). From the port of your interest, ferry or hydrofoil of one of the companies (Caremar, Snav and NLG) to the island (from 50 to 60 min)
How to get around on foot
The best option to visit the small island towns is to explore them by walking through the narrow streets, an extremely pleasant choice in summer, especially when the lines for buses are kilometers long. To get an idea of the distances between the various attractions, Marina Grande is about 15 minutes on foot from Capri, using the road that starts from the Piazzetta behind the bell tower, then following the signs for the port. While from Capri to Anacapri it will take about 45 minutes uphill, so if you are not used to hikes of this kind, opt for the means.
If you want to know all the narrow streets and highlights of the island, we recommend a guided tour of Capri and Anacapri, which also includes a cruise along the coast and limoncello tasting!
For others itineraries on foot, download our Smart Guide for visiting Capri for free.
Con i mezzi pubblici
Using public transport in Capri is the perfect solution to move from one town to another, from Capri to Anacapri or from Marina Grande to Anacapri. You can take the bus as a means of land and the funicular to move from one end to the other, enjoying spectacular views of nature. You can also use the Monte Solaro chairlift to reach the highest point of the whole island; let's analyze in detail the options available.
But the best way to enjoy the island is by boat! Do not miss the boat tour with a stop at the Blue Grotto, with excursions that also depart from Naples, Sorrento and Amalfi. If you then want live an exclusive experience, creating a romantic atmosphere on your own, then we recommend a private gozzo tour of the island!
The bus network comes managed by 2 different companies (Bus Staiano and ATC bus), they work really well and perfectly cover the distances between the various inhabited centers. It is possible to carry only one piece of luggage per person, up to 10 kg with dimensions 23x30x50 and for the relative transport you will have to pay a separate ticket (€ 1,80). The ticket offices are located at the Marina Grande terminus, at the Capri terminus in Piazza Martiri d'Ungheria, while in Anacapri in Piazza della Pace; also there are some newsstands where you can buy them.
- Downloadable map: official site
- 06:00AM - 23:45PM
- Ticket / single ride cost: € 2,00
The funicular is a vehicle offered by the island of Capri that takes you in just 5 minutes from the port of Marina Grande to the Piazzetta of Capri; there are departures every 15 minutes, while the frequencies of the races increase considerably during the busiest periods. The ticket office is located to the right of the pier. The funicular is active from early morning until 22:00, after which a replacement bus service is activated. The funicular is then closed for maintenance in January and February.
- 6:00AM - 22:00PM
- Ticket / single ride cost: € 2,00
The highest point of the island can be reached thanks to the Anacapri chairlift: the route takes about 12 min and will give you the opportunity to admire the historic center from a unique perspective. The chairlift can be reached by taking the stairs that start from Piazza Vittoria in Anacapri and will take you to about 590 meters above sea level.
- from May to October 9: 30-17: 00, from November to February 10: 30-15: 30, from March to April 9: 30-16: 00
- Ticket / single ride cost: € 9,00
Most Interesting Articles
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see