The Hawaiian Islands are an archipelago made up of 7 main islands and many smaller islets. They are surrounded by the Pacific Ocean and are very far from the rest of the mainland, for this reason they can be considered the islands that everyone dreams of, paradisiacal, tropical, and in the middle of nowhere! But since reaching Hawaii is not very simple and fast, it is worth visiting them all, or at least several islands instead of staying on just one! How to do? With a nice cruise! We have put together a series of for you below useful information for going on a cruise to Hawaii!
- When to go? The Best Time for a Hawaii Cruise
- How much does a Hawaii cruise cost? Prices, tips and itinerary
- Cruise itinerary
- User questions and comments
When to go? The Best Time for a Hawaii Cruise
- Best time: May and June, because it is still out of the cyclone season and the temperatures are neither too high in the summer months nor the cooler ones in the winter months. Winter can also be a good time, but you have to take into account lower temperatures and cool nights.
- Period to avoid: from July to September, because they are the hottest and humid months and it is the period of greatest hurricane alert, therefore often the sea could be very rough.
- Advice: a cruise to the Hawaiian Islands can be a journey of relaxation on wonderful beaches or discovering various and beautiful landscapes, which is why it is suitable for everyone, whether you are a lover of the sea or the hills. Young people, couples, families, children and seniors, no one will be disappointed with such an interesting journey!
Climate, Average Temperatures and Precipitation
The climate in the Hawaiian Islands is tropical with a warm season from June to October, while December to March is the slightly cooler season. The climate is strongly influenced by the trade winds that characterize it based on exposure, for example even the rains depend a lot on the winds, for this reason the landscapes are a mixture of forests and desert areas just a few kilometers away from each other. other. However, the trend of the rains follows a normal rhythm, they are distributed throughout the year but are neither too frequent nor completely absent.
However these islands lie in the path of tropical cyclones, although they have rarely been hit by strong hurricanes. The alert period, however, runs from June to November, but the months of greatest risk are August and September.
As for the amount of sunshine and the sea temperature, you can rest easy all year round. Indeed, the Hawaiian Islands always enjoy good sunshine and the sea water is always warm, between 24 and 27 ° C.
In the following table we have taken the capital Honolulu as an example.
How much does a Hawaii cruise cost? Prices, tips and itinerary
- Price: prices have a very high range. In high season it ranges from € 900,00 to € 2.500 per person for a cruise that varies from 7 to 13 days. The price refers to a double outside cabin with full board, but does not include drinks, excursions and return flights to the port of embarkation, which is usually Vancouver or Honolulu. The excursions can be purchased on board from € 50,00 each per person, while for the flights you have to do it yourself because they are not usually provided by the shipping companies that travel to Hawaii. Unfortunately, it must be taken into account that flights also have very high prices, so they will further increase the price of your trip.
- Recommended duration: the cruises that depart from Vancouver provide about 5 days of navigation to the Hawaiian Islands, in this case we recommend a duration of 13 days to be able to visit more islands. For cruises that depart from Honolulu, therefore directly from Hawaii, even 7 days may be enough to land on the main islands.
- Companies that organize cruises to Hawaii: Norwegian Cruise, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises and Holland America
There are different types of itineraries, and they generally also touch ports that are part of the Pacific Ocean circuit, such as Papeete, Bora Bora or the coasts of the Western United States (Los Angeles, San Francisco, Acapulco). The following is just one of the many cruise itineraries that include the Hawaiian Islands among their stops.
- Departure from Rome or Milan airport with a stopover at the airport in Toronto and expected arrival in Vancouver in 16 hours;
- Cruise accommodation and departure from the port of Vancouver. There are 5 days of navigation during which you can relax in the pool, pamper yourself in the spa, participate in the various activities offered by the animation, practice jogging, basketball and golf, and have fun on the ship's premises.
- After a long navigation, the first stop is Lahaina, on the Island of Maui. Here you can spend a day on the beach directly at Lahaina Beach or move a little further north to Kaanapali Beach, alternatively you can buy an excursion to watch whales or dolphins. Visit the city during the afternoon and evening and don't miss the bustling Front Street.
- Stop of 15 hours, departure for Nawiliwili, on Kauai Island, where you can relax at Lydgate Beach or surf at Kalapaki Beach. You can also move north and hike to Nāpali Coast park and then go to nearby Hanalei Bay beach.
- Stop of 8 hours, departure for Hilo, on Hawaii Island, where to make an excursion to Rainbow Falls. Another interesting excursion is on Coconut Island. Instead for beach lovers we suggest Hilo Bay, Onomea Bay and Honoli'i Beach Park.
- Stop of 10 hours, departure for Nawiliwili, on Kauai Island. Here, having already been there, you can take the opportunity to relax a little longer on the beach or to make another interesting excursion. For this day we propose the animal reserve of Kilauea Point, perched on a sheer cliff, from which you can observe the monk seals, humpback whales, dolphins and much more. Next, head to the Limahuli Garden, an ancient Hawaiian site rich in biodiversity that is home to endemic plants and birds.
- Stop of 10 hours, departure for Honolulu, on Oahu Island, where your cruise ends. Here you can visit the city in the morning and in the afternoon enjoy another beautiful beach such as Hanauma Bay or Makapuʻu Beach. Alternatively you can choose to visit the beautiful Manoa Falls.
- 1 day stop in Honolulu, then return to Italy with flight to Rome or Milan airport, with at least one stopover, usually in Toronto.
The Hawaiian Islands are an archipelago of tropical islands in the middle of the North Pacific Ocean. They are located very far from the coast of the American continent, but their territory belongs politically to the United States.
What to bring in your suitcase?
First of all, all the necessary for the sea, then swimsuit, towel, sunglasses and sunscreen. The latter is absolutely necessary given the high temperatures! Summer clothing is definitely what you will need the most, but don't forget a summer jacket and a light scarf to protect you from the sea breeze. Another inevitable accessory is the umbrella, remember that you might find some rainy days!
Travel informed: useful information
- Inhabitants: 1.431.603
- Capital: Honolulu
- Languages: English and Hawaiian
- Local currency: Hawaiian dollar (€ 1,00 = $ 1,14)
- Weather: tropical climate, average temperatures 22/30 ° C
- vaccinations: No mandatory vaccination required
- Entry requirements: Passport with residual validity of at least 6 months beyond the duration of the stay is required. The visa is no longer mandatory for stays of up to 90 days.