Sleeping in Formentera: tips to find the accommodation that best suits your needs
A holiday in Formentera it means absolute freedom: this small patch of land that lies on the Mediterranean offers unspoiled nature, Caribbean beaches and a unique sea. The smallest of the Balearics boasts 69km of coastline, dotted with coves, coves, bays and corners of wild scenic beauty, but always welcoming.
So get ready to spend a holiday dedicated to absolute relaxation, where your days will be marked only by the sound of the sea. Formentera can be visited even in the less crowded months and hot, like May and October, during which you can alternate nature excursions and scenic walks with beach life.
Whatever the period of your holiday, below you will find all the information and useful tips for choosing where to stay in Formentera, also depending on the type of trip you want to do and the period.
We tried to answer the most common questions that arises who is planning a holiday on the island: "Where can I stay in a rented house in Formentera?" "What is the best place to stay in Formentera?" "Where to stay in Formentera in half board?", Trying to please even those who ask for the moon and that is: "How to find a cheaper accommodation in Formentera?".Index
- The best places to stay in Formentera
- Cala Saona: ideal for families with children
- The best accommodations in Cala Saona
- It's Caló de San Agustín: per le coppie ei romantici
- Recommended accommodations in Es Caló
- Es Pujols: ideal for families, groups of young people and friends
- The best accommodations in Es Pujol
- Migjorn, for nature lovers and naturists
- Best accommodations in Migjorn
- La Savina, quiet and less expensive
- The best accommodations in La Savina
- Sant Francesc Xavier, to have everything at your fingertips
- Recommended accommodations in San Francesc Xavier
The best places to stay in Formentera
Excluding La Mola, which is an area far from everything, there is no better area to stay in Formentera, or rather: it really depends on the type of trip you have planned. In fact, despite being a very small island, it does exist a fairly wide variety of accommodation in Formentera: apartments, hotels, hostals, all inclusive, resorts, villas, farmhouses, etc.
Certainly the more isolated solutions, although distances are always minimal, are ideal for relaxing holidays, where you can find your own rhythms, while for those who want nightlife however, it is better to be close to built-up areas, perhaps in an apartment a Es Pujols.
If you in family, then it will certainly be convenient for you to be in the vicinity of an equipped beach (so exclude a large part of Migjorn e prefer the urban center of Es Pujols, which offers everything you need to stay in Formentera with children). If you travel in pairs, It's Calò it certainly offers much more intimacy and a lot of magic.
First of all, a dispassionate tip: if you want to rent an apartment in Formentera in July or August, book as soon as possible, even 6 months in advance! Ditto if you want to book hotels by the sea (there are very few). But let's see specifically what are the best areas to stay in Formentera and all their characteristics!
Cala Saona: ideal for families with children
Saône Cove it is a beautiful fine white sand beach, with an amazing sea. Being very wide and wide (about 150 meters wide) and having shallow water for a long stretch, it is perfect as a place to stay with the family in Formentera, also because it is a well-equipped beach: there are umbrellas, sunbeds, several bars and restaurants within easy reach.
Furthermore, from here you can enjoy a splendid sunset. For this reason, Cala Saona also satisfies those looking for relaxation and lounge atmospheres (there is an elegant resort right on the beach).
|Geographical position: east of Formentera|
|Reference target: families with children|
|Best time to stay there: during all the summer months, until the end of September. After that, the activities that offer services on the beach close|
|Types of accommodation: apartment, villa or resort|
The best accommodations in Cala Saona
- Hotel Cala Saona & Spa: exclusive beachfront resort with private pool, lounge terrace and air-conditioned rooms with designer furnishings. Recommended for those looking for charm and relaxation.
- Punta Rasa Formentera Apartments: 400 meters from Cala Saona beach, this apartment complex has a private outdoor pool and great sea views. It offers different types of houses, from a studio apartment for 2 to an apartment for 2 adults and 2 children.
- Cala Saona Cabin: despite being small in size, it has a double bedroom and a double sofa bed in the living room. Located 3 minutes from the beach of Cala Saona, this house is ideal for a family who still seeks silence and privacy.
It's Caló de San Agustín: per le coppie ei romantici
In the southeastern part of the island you will find this small and characteristic fishing village, one of the first inhabited centers of the island, also called simply It's Caló.
Here tourism arrived early, thanks also to the splendid beach that stretches out to the sea and the pine forest as a backdrop. It seems to be inside a painting: for this reason it is a particularly romantic place, where there is no nightlife in the evening, but only the sound of the sea, even in summer. So if you are wondering where sleep in Formentera in July away from the crowds, now you know where to go!
Faced with this scenario, the writer Montserrat Roig found inspiration for her novels. The same where today it is possible to relax on the terrace of the bar, a few meters from a turquoise sea. From Es Caló the Way of Sa Pujada, a paved path with enchanting views.
|Geographical position: northwest of Formentera|
|Reference target: couples|
|Best time to stay there: the activities of the village (3 restaurants, a bar and a supermarket) are open from May to mid-October, so this is certainly the best time to take accommodation in the area|
|Types of accommodation: apartment or hotel|
Recommended accommodations in Es Caló
- Astbury Apartments Ses Platgetes: among the recommended hotels in Formentera, this complex could not be missing, with rooms offering one of the most beautiful views of the island just 70 meters from the beach.
- Seagull: these small apartments are located a few meters from the village (about 70), and are equipped with everything you need to cook at home. Here, too, the view is breathtaking: we are right in the heart of one of the best areas to stay in Formentera, as long as you are looking for peace and relaxation.
- Es Pas Agrotourism: if you are looking for a romantic accommodation, with refined furnishings, with private swimming pool and apartments built with natural materials, 100 meters from Es Caló, towards the interior, there is this chic farmhouse, which offers privacy and relaxation just a stone's throw away from the sea.
Es Pujols: ideal for families, groups of young people and friends
Most of the tourists who visit Formentera want accommodation in Es Pujols, the most important tourist center. Actually, this location offers many things all together, with its great offering of residences, restaurants, clubs and shops and last but not least, the beach: that of Es Pujols is one of the most beautiful and well-known beaches of Formentera, with the white sand formed by two separate bays, bathed by the intense blue of the Mediterranean.
For these reasons, if you want to be sure to go to Formentera and stay in Es Pujols, it is advisable to book well in advance. In fact, despite the fact that most of the accommodations in Formentera are concentrated here, the demand is very high, and if you arrive at the last minute it is likely that you will no longer find a place.
You may also be interested in → Why are there no campsites in Formentera?
There are so many apartments and , but also most of the hotels of Formentera. In the part towards Sa Roqueta (the final part of Es Pujols beach) there are also different ones resort in the last few years.
We also point out, in case you find it sold out (as often happens), where to stay in Formentera near Es Pujols: the nearest locality is Saint Ferran. Inland (about 1 km), there are not many hotels, but between Es Pujols and this small village there are many apartments for rent, scattered in the countryside. Also in the area of Punta Prima you will be very close to Es Pujols (2 km).
|Geographical position: north of Formentera|
|Reference target: groups of friends, but also couples and families|
|Best time to stay there: from June to September, when the activities reopen, otherwise it is really deserted|
|Types of accommodation: apartment, hotel, hostal or resort|
The best accommodations in Es Pujol
- Castavi Apartments: elegant apartments in the center of Es Pujols, with equipped kitchen, balcony and swimming pool, 100 meters from the beach. Possibility of half board and room cleaning included. Various types, up to 4 people.
- Hostel Capri: one of the oldest structures in Formentera, in the center of the town, with simple but clean and comfortable rooms. Spanish cuisine restaurant and a few steps from the beach. A great choice for those looking for accommodation in the center of Es Pujols.
- White Hotel: is part of the new luxury hotels in Formentera, built in Es Pujols, and is located in one of the most popular areas, close to other resorts, renowned restaurants and a few meters from the sea. It has double bedrooms and an amazing breakfast service.
- Hotel Sa Volta: a classic family-run hotel in the center of Es Pujols, very comfortable and with large rooms. There is also a swimming pool and bar (the latter is also excellent for light lunches). The beach is 200 meters away and the supermarket 100 meters.
Migjorn, for nature lovers and naturists
Playa Migjorn is the longest beach on the island: 6km of coastline, which alternates white and golden beaches with rocky bays. This huge strip of sand, which also includes Es Arenals, extends from Ca Marí to the small beach called Caló Des Morts. It is a wild beach, surrounded by dunes and with a wonderful sea, here naturism is practiced everywhereand (although in Formentera it is quite common also in other areas).
The solutions to lodge in Migjorn are quite expensive, being houses surrounded by nature a few meters from a spectacular sea. In general therefore, it is the ideal area for those seeking relaxation and somewhat wild beach life (in Migjorn many sections are devoid of services, bars, toilets, etc.).
But there is also good news for those looking for a hotel where to stay with children, without giving up a bit of wild relaxation: in Migjorn there are also all inclusive resorts, with all the comforts and services available for guests, both in the Es Arenals and Ca Marì area.
|Geographical position: south of Formentera|
|Reference target: couples or families (all inclusive)|
|Best time to stay there: from June to September|
|Types of accommodation: all-inclusive apartment or resort|
Best accommodations in Migjorn
- La Mola River: in front of the beautiful Migjorn beach, it is a very large complex equipped with everything. Between swimming pools, bars and restaurants, this 4-star hotel is ideal for a week with the family with everything close at hand, to enjoy the wonderful sea of the island without worries.
- Apartment Meridium: offers simple (but very cute) studios for 2 people on the beach. They are ideal structures to stay in Formentera as a couple and enjoy the peace of the beach dunes, falling asleep to the sound of the sea.
- Hostal Es Pi: it is a comfortable, simple accommodation and 150 meters from Migjorn beach. It has a small swimming pool and guaranteed silence, buffet breakfast and mini bar. Ideal for those looking for a simple and cheap accommodation in Formentera compared to the rest.
La Savina, quiet and less expensive
The only port on the island, the Savina it was once a separate islet from Formentera, to which it was joined with the construction of the port. The La Savina area has now become a small one tourist center with residences, restaurants, clubs and shops, and lussuosi yacht during the summer period.
Let's say that it is not exactly the ideal area to stay if you want to experience the nightlife of the island, while it is instead perfect if you are looking for an accommodation a bit isolated and quiet in the evening, and maybe even cheaper compared to those of "Formentera vip". We therefore recommend that you take a look at this area if you are planning a low cost stay in Formentera.
|Geographical position: west of Formentera|
|Reference target: adult couples|
|Best time to stay there: from June to September, otherwise you risk finding almost everything closed|
|Types of accommodation: apartment or hostal|
The best accommodations in La Savina
- Hostal La Savina: it was the first hotel on the island, now refurbished. It offers its guests a private beach in front of the Estany de Peix, the lake where small boats are moored. Panoramic and well furnished rooms and a renowned restaurant.
- Sabina Beach Apartments: Air-conditioned apartments with kitchenette and fridge, private balcony, reception, small swimming pool and views of the Estany de Peix.
Sant Francesc Xavier, to have everything at your fingertips
Sant Francesc it is located in the center of the island, a few kilometers from the natural area of Estany Pudent and the most beautiful coasts of Formentera. IS the largest inhabited center of Formentera and the capital, and develops around the church of the Plaza de la Costitución.
The town of Sant Francesc Xavier is sparkling, full of cafes, shops, restaurants and bars and equipped with the best-stocked supermarkets. To get to the nearest beach you have to go to Es Pujols or Migjorn (10 to 15 min drive).
|Geographical position: in the center of Formentera|
|Reference target: couples and families|
|Best time to stay there: all year round, as the life of the islanders takes place here even in winter|
|Types of accommodation: apartment or hotel (some with Spa)|
Recommended accommodations in San Francesc Xavier
- It's Seas: this splendid hotel with design Spa, located a few steps from the main square, is ideal for enjoying the island at your own pace and surrounded by every comfort, Spa included.
- House Beja: comfortable and pleasant accommodation can also be found in the area around Sant Francesc, such as this apartment overlooking the garden. Ideal for a group of friends or a large family (sleeps 6).
At this point, it is quite clear that to choose where to stay in Formentera you will have to consider several factors. You will have to be clear what you are looking for (relaxation, comfort, silence, fun, etc.), also because there are many different types of structures: you go in fact from the most basic hostals to 5-star hotels frequented by VIPs.
We have therefore tried to provide you with a complete picture, to orient yourself according to the needs of each one. And since you now know everything, you can easily book accommodation for your dream vacation. Just remember that, to find a place to sleep in Formentera on a budget, the secret remains to book well in advance.