May appointments in Formentera
From music to popular festivals through sport. Formentera in May is not only a perfect island to start enjoying a taste of summer thanks to its beautiful sea and its wonderful beaches. Many events await tourists and locals eager to experience the most authentic atmosphere of the place. The patronal feasts, for example, are an excellent opportunity to breathe the traditional life and ancient culture of the island. Let's see in detail the main events of Formentera in May
1. 1/2 Popular Marathon Island of Formentera. The ninth edition of the Illa de Formentera Media Maraton is back on Saturday 13 May (together with the 8 km San Ferran-La Savina). Also this year more than 2500 runners from all over the world will be engaged in a journey through the truly unique natural scenery of the island. An event not to be missed for all running enthusiasts and Formentera, a unique opportunity to combine sport and nature, at a time of the year when the island offers itself in all its beauty. For more information, here is the event website: www.marato-formentera.com/.
2. Formentera Film Festival 2017. From 18 to 21 May the island is transformed into an open-air cinema. Now in its fifth edition, Formentera Film Festival places Formentera on the world map of short films, documentaries and video art as a festival of absolute cultural reference. Year after year, the event has been consolidating and growing both in terms of quality in programming but also in the ever-increasing number of participants. In this new edition, Formentera fixes its gaze on the production of the “neighboring” Balearic Islands, without forgetting national and international productions. The goal has always been to break down the frontiers of the audiovisual world itself and to include, through a series of workshops, young people and children of the island in the creation of short films and video clips.
3. Ninth edition NB Formentera to Run. It still runs on the island, this time over several days. From 28 to 4 June the NB Formentera to Run will take place, five days of running and training in the most spectacular places on the island. The event is within everyone's reach and allows you to discover little-known corners by those who frequent Formentera only for the sea and for fun. The route is divided into 5 sections, for a total of 63 km: 9 km, 10 km, 13 km, 10 km and the last day, June 3, 21 km. On June 4th there will be a breakfast and a farewell ceremony.
4. Patron Saint's Day of San Ferran de Ses Roques. The 30 May festival in San Ferran de ses Roques is also highly anticipated, a small town in the heart of Formentera, which comes alive all day with musical performances, dances, markets and games for children. In these weeks Formentera is really pleasant and welcoming with the colorful chiringuitos on the beaches and in the coves where it is possible to have aperitifs in complete tranquility before the summer bathers storm the island.
5. Formentera Jazz Festival. Even if it is not among the events in May, it is also worth mentioning in this list the Formentera Jazz Festival which, like every year, animates the island in the first days of June. In fact, from 1 to 4 June the best jazz musicians on the national and international scene will perform in large and evocative concerts. Located in a privileged corner of the Mediterranean, the island is the ideal place for a jazz festival, where every musical sound finds its perfect setting on a warm summer night.