Small tropical paradise in the Bahamas, the archipelago of the Exumas islands consists of 365 islands which form the Exumas Cays or Cayos.
Great Exuma, the largest and where the capital of the George Town district is located, is connected to Little Exuma by a bridge.
All the islands are characterized by wonderful beaches, clear waters ideal for swimming and snorkeling and perfect for those seeking relaxation and tranquility.
If you are thinking of organizing a trip to the Bahamas, here are some tips for you Exumas Islands, where they are, when to go and what to see.
- Travel informed: useful information
- Where are
- When to go? Info on climate and best time
- Which island to go to?
- 10 things to see: beaches and places of interest
- How much does a holiday in the Exumas Islands cost? Prices, offers and advice
- User questions and comments
Travel informed: useful information
- Inhabitants: 319.000
- Capital: Nassau
- Languages: English
- Local currency: Bahamian Dollar (BSD) / € 1,00 = 1,1 BSD
- Weather: tropical, with a sultry and rainy season from May to October, with highs throughout the archipelago of 28 °, and a cooler one from November to April; to avoid the months from August to October as the period of maximum hurricane activity; the sea water is warm all year round and temperatures vary from 24 ° to 29 ° as you move towards the southern islands.
- vaccinations: none
- Entry requirements: passport with residual validity of 6 months; visa not required for citizens of the European Community for stays of less than 8 months.
The archipelago of the Bahamas is made up of about 700 islands and islets, some totally uninhabited, others full of resorts, nestled in the Atlantic Ocean, east of Florida in the Caribbean Sea.
Le 365 islands that form the Exumas are located southeast of the archipelago and they wind to form a chain of 209 kilometers occupying a total area of 187 square kilometers.
They are 488 kilometers from Miami and 298 kilometers from Cuba, but they belong to the Commonwealth, whose sovereignty is of the current Queen of England Elizabeth II.
How to reach us
- From the main European capitals: from London, British Airways has a direct connection with Nassau (duration 9 hours and 20 minutes), capital of the Bahamas. From here you can reach George Town, the capital of the Exumas by another flight in 40 minutes (connections operated by Bahamasair); from the main European capitals, on the other hand, direct flights depart for Miami with Lufthansa (from Frankfurt), KLM (from Amsterdam) and Airfrance (from Paris) and from here take the plane to George Town (1 hour and 30) - Compare flights to George Town - from € 583,00
When to go? Info on climate and best time
- Weather: The climate of the Exumas islands is typical of the savannah characterized by the absence of winter and two seasons: a dry one (from November to May) and a rainy one (from June to October); the average temperatures are between 23 ° minimum recorded in January and 29 ° maximum recorded in July and August; the sea temperature, on the other hand, is more or less constant and around 27/28 °
- Best time: from February to April, when rainfall is low and temperatures are ideal for a beach holiday
- Period to avoid: From June to October the Bahamas can be crossed by strong hurricanes, which have the period of maximum activity between August and October, therefore a trip is not recommended during this period.
- Advice: bring light linen and cotton clothing, swimwear and sunscreen in your suitcase; a sweatshirt for the evening and a light k-way and an umbrella in case of rain
Which island to go to?
The Exuma Islands are more than 350, but only three are inhabited and have accommodation facilities for tourists as well and they are Great Exuma, Little Exuma and Stocking Island. All the others, on the other hand, are uninhabited strips of sand or private islets with luxurious villas.
- Great Exuma: this is the largest island of the archipelago where the capital George Town is also located, characterized by a single road and a bridge that connects it to Little Exuma; Great Exuma has several hotels, colorful houses, a few bars and restaurants and its highlight are the heavenly beaches and crystal clear sea.
- Little Exuma: this island, connected by a bridge to Great Exuma, has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world; in addition to this it is possible to visit an ancient pirate fort, the Cotton House and a salt pan; on the island there are some restaurants and accommodations for those who decide to spend their holidays here.
- Stocking island: the latter island, long and narrow, is located not far from Great Exuma and can be reached by taxi boat from George Town; here in addition to some beautiful beaches is the famous Chat'N Chill where you can eat the best "Salad Conch" of the place.
10 things to see: beaches and places of interest
- Cocoplum Beach it is located north east of Great Exuma, 30 km from George Town and is a beach with no facilities; during low tide some sandbanks emerge from the clear waters and create a wonderful landscape; the seabed slopes gently and is also perfect for those who are afraid of swimming.
- Hoopers Bay it is the half-moon-shaped beach not far from George Town characterized by fine white sand, by a sea that is always calm; swimming towards the northern side it is easy to spot groups of sea turtles.
- Tropic Beach it is the most famous of Little Exuma and despite its notoriety it is often deserted thanks to its size. Characterized by a long strip of white sand, low vegetation and a turquoise sea.
- Swimming Pig It is located on Big Major Cay, one of the many sandbanks of the Cays, the group of private islands 2 hours by speedboat from George Town. In particular, this beach is famous because it is inhabited by some swimming pigs who party to tourists as soon as they spot a boat.
- Sampson Cay it is another private island of the Cays group, but to access it it is sufficient to pay a fee of $ 10. Usually we stop during a boat excursion because harmless sharks of 2 meters gather in this bay and it is possible to swim with them.
- Jolly Hall, not far from George Town, it is the perfect beach on windy days because it is protected within a bay. It is not equipped but at the back there are several trees that provide shade. The sand is clear, the sea calm and clear and at low tide you reach an islet with tropical palm trees.
- Starfish Bay it is located on the northwestern side of the island of Stocking Island, facing Great Exuma and can be reached by taxi boat. The beach is wild, characterized by fine white sand, a blue sea where you can see hundreds of huge starfish.
- Exuma Point, on the north eastern side of Great Exuma, is considered the most suggestive and photogenic place of the Exumas islands. During low tide, numerous tongues of sand are formed that contrast the blue of the sea making it a more scenic place than a real beach where you can swim and lie in the sun.
- Santanna's Grill Exuma is a kiosk on the sea run by a nice woman who cooks excellent lobsters, prawns, snapper accompanied by rice and salads. It is located in the southern tip of the island and can be reached by car or boat.
- Chat'N Chill is the famous place that serves the typical "Salad Conch" which is located on the western side of Stocking Island. Nearby after having refreshed you will also find a beach where you can spot many manta rays
How much does a holiday in the Exumas Islands cost? Prices, offers and advice
The Exumas Islands are very expensive also because the accommodation availability is low and the rather select clientele. To eat in the various stalls, however, you spend around € 20,00 and even the accommodations are quite expensive because they are often located in luxurious resorts.
If you want to save a little, the ideal is to rent a house with a kitchen so as to be able to contain costs.
Those staying in Great Exuma will then have to rent a car to get around this island, reach Little Exumas (crossing a bridge) and discover the numerous beaches.
Finally, consider that the boat trips to visit the other private islands and sandbanks are quite expensive and the prices are around € 100,00.
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 130,00 per room -
- starting from € 600,00 -
- Return flight + 8 days / 7 nights from € 1.650,00 per person
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking