Vienna is one of the most fascinating European capitals. Rich in history, art and culture, it is beautiful in any season. During the Christmas period it is filled with lights and markets, giving it even more charm. And, not least, are the neighboring areas. From cities like Salzburg, Hallstatt and Linz, to natural beauties like the Wachau Valley. Its strategic position will also allow you to reach other European cities, such as Bratislava, Prague and Budapest.
Here are some tips on best day trips around Vienna.
- Wachau Valley
- Liechtenstein Castle
- Viennese Forest and Mayerling
- Mauthausen Concentration Camp
- User questions and comments
1 - Wachau Valley
The Wachau Valley was formed along the Danube River and is one of the main tourist destinations in Austria. It is located about 100 kilometers from Vienna and, to visit it well, we recommend that you rent a car or take part in a tour. Moving by public transport it will be difficult for you to visit the different characteristic villages.
This area is best known for its white wines and you will find numerous wineries and cellars who organize visits with tasting of their wines.
The most frequent stops on a trip to this valley, whether it is one or more days, are the towns of Dürnstein, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Melk, famous mainly for its monastery, Krems, a historic town, and Spitz, from where several cruises on the Danube depart and will take you up the river to Melk.
Among the different tours, we recommend a 1-day tour in the Wachau Valley with wine tasting, which includes a visit to Dürnstein, Weissenkirchen, Spitz and Melk together with a wine expert.
- Range: 110 km
- about 110 kilometers away from Vienna, reachable in just over an hour by car, the best way to visit this area (Get directions); in case of joining the tour, this includes hotel pick-up
- always accessible. In case of joining the proposed tour, this has a duration of about 9 hours with departure at 9:00
- tour starting from € 125,00 per person - book online
- 1 day tour with wine tasting Cruise with bus transfer from Vienna
2 - Hallstatt
Hallstatt is a charming little town that it is almost 300 kilometers away from Vienna, about 3 and a half hours by car. The distance is long, but if you are in Vienna and you don't plan to travel for two or more days to other Austrian cities, we definitely recommend that you consider a visit to this location.
Hallstatt is located on the Hallstatter See lake and is a quaint town that attracts many tourists every year. UNESCO World Heritage Site, it is beautiful both in summer and in winter, when the snow turns everything white. Between the reflections on the lake, the sixteenth-century style of the buildings and the bell tower that rises above everything, you will feel like you have ended up in a fairytale country.
Among the different tours we recommend the one in the Austrian Alps with a panoramic tour from Vienna to Hallstatt, which also includes a visit to the Admont Abbey and which will take you along a panoramic road through the heart of the Alps.
- Range: 395 km
- 395 kilometers from Vienna, reachable in 3 and a half hours by car, the best way to reach this area (Get directions); in case of joining the tour, the meeting point is the Tourist Information Office, Albertinaplatz 1 in Vienna (Get directions)
- always accessible. In case of joining the proposed tour, this has a duration of about 13 hours with departure at 8:00
- starting from € 119,00 per person - book online
- Austrian Alps: Vienna to Hallstatt Sightseeing Tour From Vienna: Private Tour to Melk, Hallstatt and Salzburg
3 - Salzburg
Salzburg is an Austrian city almost 300 kilometers from Vienna, reachable in about 3 hours by car. It is located near the German border and 70 kilometers from Hallstatt. Therefore, the best solution would be to be able to combine the two destinations together in a one-day tour (risking, however, to sacrifice time) or two days.
This city is a truly unique one. UNESCO World Heritage Site, Mozart's hometown and shooting location for the film "All together passionately", here coexist architecture, art and music, tradition and modernity. Not by chance it is called the capital of classical music. A city within everyone's reach, it is perfect for any type of traveler and, with its numerous events, it has something to offer at any time of the year.
Among the different tours we recommend the Salzburg and Alpine Lakes Tour from Vienna, which includes a visit to the city and the Salzkammergut lake region.
- Range: 312 km
- 312 kilometers from Vienna, reachable in just over 3 hours by car or by direct train "RJX 62 München Hbf" from Vienna Central Station to the Salzburg Hbf stop (Get directions); in case of joining the tour, the meeting point is the Tourist Information Office, Albertinaplatz 1 in Vienna (Get directions)
- always accessible. In case of joining the proposed tour, this has a duration of about 12 hours with departure at 8:00
- tour starting from € 109,00 per person - book online
- Salzburg and Alpine Lakes Tour from Vienna From Vienna: Austrian Lakes and Salzburg Private Tour
4 - Liechtenstein Castle
It is located just 20 kilometers from Vienna, between 20 and 30 minutes by car. It is also possible to reach it by public transport, combining the train and the bus, for a journey time of about one hour, maximum one and a half hours.
The castle is not yet a popular destination among tourists, so it is perfect to get away from the city for a few hours and enjoy a nice visit in tranquility.
Originally built in the 1529th century, it was destroyed by the Ottomans in 1683 and 1884. For decades it remained in a state of disrepair, until its reconstruction in . One of the strong points of the castle is undoubtedly its unique and particular position, which has inspired many artists for centuries: it is located on a hill, overlooking the entire surrounding valley.
It can only be visited by taking part in a guided tour, which vary from month to month. Between July and September a visit departs every hour from 10:00 to 16:00. You can find all the detailed information on the official website
- Range: 20,1 km
- from Vienna Meidling train station take the train to Mödling (departures every 10 minutes); get off at Mödling, take bus 262 to the Siedlungsstraße stop and walk 6 minutes to Liechtenstein Castle - Get directions
- from July and September you can take part in a visit every hour from 10:00 to 16:00; we advise you to consult the official website
- full € 10,00; reduced € 8,00
5 - Linz
It is an Austrian city almost 188 kilometers from Vienna, reachable in just over 2 hours by car or by direct train, and not far from the border with Germany and the Czech Republic.
Linz, the capital of the Federal State of Upper Austria, has been part of the network since 2014 Creative City of UNESCO as a City of Media Arts. In this city you absolutely must take a walk along the Donaulaende, the meadow that runs along the Danube and which has become a real park, you can climb the Pöstlingberg, a hill from which you can admire the whole of Linz from above. Obviously, take a few hours to discover the beautiful old town and, why not, do some shopping in Landstrasse, one of the most famous streets in the city and in Austria. And finally, eat a good slice of Linzer Torte, the famous Linz cake.
- Range: 188 km
- 188 kilometers from Vienna, reachable in just over 2 hours by car or by direct train from Vienna Central Station to the Linz Hbf stop - Get directions
- always accessible
6 - Vienna Woods and Mayerling
This is a geographical region west of Vienna, characterized by the presence of one mountain range belonging to the North-Eastern Alps. Mayerling is one of the best known towns in this area and is located 48 kilometers from the capital, reachable in 40 minutes by car. You can also reach it by public transport, but it will take double the time due to some changes and it would be impractical to explore the area well.
Mayerling is famous above all for the so-called Facts of Mayerling, or the series of events that in 1889 led to the death of Archduke Rudolph of Habsburg-Lorraine and his young lover, Baroness Maria Vetsera, just 17 years old. In the city you can visit the former hunting pavilion and learn about the various sides of this history which, at the time, shook an entire empire.
One of the tours that we recommend is that of the Vienna Woods and Mayerling, which will take you to discover this beautiful area and, in addition to Mayerling, also includes a visit to the Cistercian Abbey of Heiligenkreuz.
- Range: 48 km
- it is located 48 kilometers from Vienna, reachable in 40 minutes by car (Get directions); in case of joining the tour the meeting point is at Operngasse 8, next to the Staatsoper, in Vienna (Get directions)
- always accessible. In case of joining the proposed tour, this has a duration of about 4 hours with departure at 9:15
- starting from € 57,00 per person - book online
- Vienna Woods and Mayerling: tour from Vienna
7 - Mauthausen Concentration Camp
Before the Second World War, Mauthausen was a much loved tourist destination, an ideal holiday destination, thanks also to the presence of the lake at the foot of the city. But, due to the proximity to a large granite mine, the area was chosen as the base for the concentration camp. It all began with the annexation of Austria to the Third Reich in 1938 and after only 5 months from the start of construction, the first deportees from the Dachau camp were transferred. Until 1943, mainly political opponents were interned here. The conditions were so inhuman that the death rate was among the highest in the Nazi concentration camps.
Today, the central part of what remains of the camp has been transformed into Mauthausen Memorial.
- Range: 202 km
- reachable in just over 2 hours by car or by direct train from Vienna Central Station to the Linz Huptbahnhof stop, from here take bus 361 and get off at Mauthausen OÖ Bahnhof (Vorplatz) with this solution it will take 2 hours and 40 minutes - Get directions
- from 1st March to 31st October every day from 9:00 to 17:30; from 1 November to 28 February from Tuesday to Sunday from 9:00 to 15:45, closed on Mondays
- free entry; audio guide cost € 3,00; guided tours € 5,00
- Vienna: Mauthausen Concentration Camp Memorial Site From Vienna: Mauthausen Memorial Private Day Trip
8 - Bratislava
Being close to the border, from Vienna it is very easy to reach Bratislava. They are in fact only 57 kilometers away, an hour by car. Many people therefore take the opportunity to visit this beautiful city as well.
In recent years, Bratislava has made its way into the world of tourism, thanks also to the fact that it is one low-cost destination. It lends itself perfectly to being shot in one day.
Among the attractions to see, you absolutely cannot miss the Bratislava Castle, which overlooks the whole city, the Cathedral of San Martino and the Bronze Statues, which you will meet here and there as you walk through the streets of the historic center.
Among the different tours we recommend the Bus and boat tour from Vienna to Bratislava, which includes the outward journey to Bratislava by bus and the return to Vienna by boat, up the Danube.
- Range: 57,6 km
- 57,6 kilometers from Vienna, reachable in just over an hour by car or by direct train from Vienna Central Station to Bratislava Petržalka station, where you will have to take bus 93 which will take you to the center of Bratislava ( Get directions); in case of joining the tour, the meeting point is the Vienna State Opera (Get directions)
- always accessible. In case of joining the proposed tour, this has a duration of about 9 hours with departure at 8:30
- guided tours from € 69,00 per person - book online
- Bus and boat tour between Vienna to Bratislava Bratislava Private tour from Vienna
9 - Budapest
Budapest, the capital of Hungary, is located just under 257 kilometers from Vienna and can be reached from Vienna in about 3 hours by car or by one of the direct trains that connect the two capitals.
This city, also called the Pearl of the Danube, is of unique beauty and is becoming more and more popular among European tourist destinations. The Danube divides it into two parts: Buda and Pest, connected by several bridges and the most famous is the Chain Bridge. In one day we recommend that you dedicate, for example, the morning to a walk in Buda, where the Buda Castle and the Fishermen's Bastion are located, from which you can admire a beautiful view of the Parliament and the whole city. In the afternoon, get lost in the streets of Pest, admire the Parliament up close and enter the beautiful Church of Santo Stefano. And, during the day, don't forget to indulge in a lunch of traditional hungarian dishes and try Kurtos, the oldest dessert in Hungary.
- Range: 257 km
- 257 kilometers from Vienna; reachable 3 hours by car or by direct train from Vienna Central Station to Budapest-Keleti Railway Terminal in just 2 hours and 40 minutes - Get directions
- always accessible
- From Vienna: Private Full-Day Budapest Tour Budapest: Full-Day Tour from Vienna
10 - Prague
Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic, is located 368 kilometers from Vienna and can be reached from Vienna in less than 4 hours by car or by direct train that connects the two capitals.
Prague is one of the most popular European capitals, especially among young people, thanks also to its own nightlife and its very cheap costs. Rich in history and culture, yours historic center is a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1992. Admire the beauty of Staré Město (literally Old Town) and stop in the main square to admire the astronomical clock, built in the Middle Ages and the only one in the world to have represented the European, Babylonian and astronomical calendars, placed on the Town Hall Tower. Do not miss the Malà Strana district, the Prague Castle and don't forget to take a photo in front of the famous Dancing House.
- Range: 368 km
- 368 kilometers from Vienna; reachable 3 hours and 42 minutes by car or by direct train from Vienna Central Station to Praha Hl.N in just under 4 hours - Get directions
- always accessible
- Vienna: Full-Day Prague Tour Private Full-Day Trip from Vienna to Prague
Most Interesting Articles
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking