Salerno seems to be the ideal starting point for splendid excursions and day trips, as it is surrounded not only by splendid sea views, but also by places rich in history and culture. Not only the Amalfi Coast and the Sorrento Peninsula, but also the wonderful Cilento and the archaeological areas of Paestum are within reach of a day trip starting right from the city of Campania. So here it is the best day trips around Salerno.
- Amalfi Coast: Vietri sul Mare, Amalfi, Ravello and Positano
- Archaeological Park of Paestum and Velia
- Palace of Caserta
- Pompeii and Herculaneum
- Vesuvius Park
- User questions and comments
1 - Amalfi Coast: Vietri sul Mare, Amalfi, Ravello and Positano
Salerno overlooks the Amalfi Coast, that stretch of coast that includes as many as 14 locations, famous throughout the world for its breathtaking views, good food, and for the villages and towns perched overlooking the sea.
Overlooking the Tyrrhenian Sea, the Amalfi Coast is one of the 55 Italian sites listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site: Amalfi, Ravello, Vietri sul Mare and Positano are just some of the most famous names that characterize this natural "balcony", suspended between the Lattari Mountains and the sea. Not only sea and sun but also culture, history and splendid historical monuments have fascinated travelers from all over the world practically forever. You can appreciate all this and much more through one of the many organized tours available, during which you can also taste a delicious granita made with typical lemons or a glass of full-bodied limoncello from Campania.
- Range: 3,2 km from Vietri sul Mare, 43 km from Positano.
- Vietri sul Mare, the first town on the Amalfi Coast, is connected to Salerno by SITA buses (about 1 hour and 15 minutes, new "Costierasita" ticket valid for 24 hours, € 12,00), or by train (about 10 minutes, € 1,20). By car with the Statale Panoramica 163, which winds along all the approximately 50 km of the coast and allows you to reach every location; by ferry from the port of Salerno to Amalfi (35 min, € 9,00)
2 - Archaeological Park of Paestum and Velia
The Archaeological Park of Paestum is one of the most fascinating and magical places in Cilento. It is a very extensive archaeological area, surrounded by the original walls that stretch for almost 5 km. Of the ancient Poseidonia (name given by the ancient Greeks in honor of the god of the sea) remain to be visited three temples, an amphitheater, a forum with comitium, as well as sanctuaries and necropolis. In Paestum, one of the most famous tombs in the world, the Tomb of the Diver, was also unearthed. Starting from February 2020 the Archaeological Park of Paestum has been joined to the Excavations of Velia, to date both sites form what is the Archaeological Park of Cilento.
- Range: 42,3 km
- A3 Salerno - Reggio Calabria motorway, exit at Battipaglia (23 km); from state road 18 exit at Capaccio Scalo and reach via Laura di Paestum; by train from Salerno (in about 30 min, € 2,90) - Get directions
- every day 9:00 - 19:30, the opening / closing times of the doors change according to the period, visit the official website
- ticket valid for 3 days with access to the Archaeological Area, the Museum of Paestum and the Archaeological Area of Velia. From December to February full € 6, reduced (from 18 to 25 years) € 2; from March to November full € 12, reduced € 2
3 - Cilento
A beautiful area of Campania, hidden just around the corner! Not too far from Salerno, nor from the Amalfi Coast, it presents itself with spectacular mountainous areas but also with some of the most beautiful unspoiled beaches in Italy. Rich in history and centuries-old ruins, the Cilento area extends from the city of Paestum to the Gulf of Policastro, near Sapri. For the day trip you can choose to stop in Santa Maria di Castellabate and Acciaroli, or admire Palinuro, Marina di Camerota, Vallo della Lucania and Agropoli.
- Range: 42,6 km
- by train with Frecciabianca from Salerno to Vallo della Lucania (about 40 min, € 18,50); by car A3 Salerno-Reggio Calabria up to Battipaglia, then along the SS 18 - Tirrena Inferiore, following the signs for Capaccio-Paestum-Agropoli
4 - Sorrento
Sorrento was the home of the great Torquato Tasso and is a millenary city which has undergone, in the course of its history, the influence of different cultures: Greeks, Romans, Normans and Aragonese, each civilization has left its mark still present today.
The atmosphere is quite different from other tourist resorts in Campania, with a little less folklore but with its own unique atmosphere. Do not miss Piazza Tasso and Corso Italia, the heart of the city, the Villa Comunale and the Cloister of San Francesco, the characteristic Vallone dei Mulini and the Duomo.
- Range: 47,4 km
- bus Salerno - Amalfi line (1 hour and 15 min) and then Amalfi-Positano-Sorrento (1 hour and 40 min, € 4,90), Single Amalfi Sita ticket 24 hours € 6,80; train from Salerno to Napoli Centrale (38 min) then Circumvesuviana (1 hour and 10 min, € 3,00); by car A3 Napoli - Pompei - Sorrento motorway, exit at Castellammare di Stabia and continue straight on following the signs for "Sorrento".
5 - Royal Palace of Caserta
About 75 km from Salerno, it is worth taking a day to visit the Royal Palace of Caserta. Also known as the Versailles of Italy, it is a majestic construction built at the behest of Charles of Bourbon to demonstrate his power and the pomp of his family.
It was designed by the architect Luigi Vanvitelli and is one of the most visited places in Italy, thanks to its 1.200 luxurious rooms and gardens (Italian and English) further embellished with water features and works of art. To make the most of this wonderful attraction, we recommend that you book one of the many tours with a guided tour.
- Range: 75,9 km
- A30 motorway, Caserta Sud-Marcianise exit, continue towards the SS87 up to Viale Vittorio Veneto; by train arrive first in Napoli Centrale, then train to Caserta (about 50 min, € 3,40) - Get directions
- historic apartments every day 9:30 to 19:30, for the park and gardens the opening hours vary from month to month (we recommend consulting the official website); closing day Tuesday
- Entire Park + Apartments € 14,00; whole park € 9,00; whole apartments € 10,00; reduced Park + Apartments (18-24 years) € 2,00; free for under 18s
6 - Capri
Located in the Gulf of Naples, the island of Capri is the most popular and the one we recommend you choose for a day trip from Salerno. Its very famous Faraglioni are one of the most requested attractions by tourists from all over the world, in addition to the splendid Blue Grotto and the mythical Piazzetta, not to mention the fantastic beaches.
We recommend that you include in your trip a suggestive boat tour to admire the stacks and caves even up close, or you can make an entire tour of the island from the privileged point of view of the sea.
- Range: 90,3 km
- by ferry from the Port of Salerno, Molo Manfredi, in about 2 hours, € 24,40
7 - Pompeii and Herculaneum
Those who visit the Campania capital usually cannot ignore the archaeological sites of Pompeii and Herculaneum, which are also easily accessible from Salerno. The two cities were entirely covered by ash and debris from Vesuvius during its eruption in 79 AD, stopping time. UNESCO World Heritage Site, the excavations are a continuous discovery thanks to the works that still continue today and bring to light new and exciting testimonies of the life of the time.
To save time at the entrance to the Pompeii ruins, we recommend purchasing a priority entrance ticket.
- Range: 26,6 km
- Circumvesuviana Naples-Sorrento, in about 35 min, cost € 3,60, Pompei Scavi - Villa dei Misteri stop (250 meters from the entrance of Porta Marina). By car, A3 Napoli-Salerno motorway, Pompei exit
- Tuesday to Sunday 9:00 - 19:00, last admission 17:30
- Pompeii: tickets booked in the range 9: 00-16: 30 full € 16,00, reduced € 2,00; tickets booked between 16: 30-17: 30 full € 10: 00, reduced € 2,00. Herculaneum: full € 13,00, reduced € 2,00
8 - Naples
The Campania capital is only 48,3 km from Salerno and is the perfect destination not only for a day trip, but to get to know two nearby but quite different Campania realities. Of a unique and particular beauty, Naples is known not only for its artistic and cultural attractions, but also for its gastronomic "treasures", such as pizza and delicious desserts.
Not to be missed, among other things, the Spaccanapoli district, Piazza del Plebiscito, the Toledo metro station, the Duomo, the Maschio Angioino and the fascinating museums of the Sansevero Chapel (with the famous Veiled Christ) and Capodimonte (with important works belonging to the Farnese Collection).
The best way to visit Naples in one day is by booking a fantastic tour of the center, which will make you discover all the most iconic must-sees of the city.
- Range: 48,3 km
- by train, Salerno-Naples line (travel time about 1 hour and 25 min, cost € 4,70 each way). By car, A3 Napoli-Salerno motorway, exit towards via Galileo Ferraris
9 - Vesuvius Park
One of the most visited attractions in Campania is, without a doubt, the Vesuvius volcano. Not far from Salerno, it represents an excellent idea for an outdoor trip, especially for lovers of trekking and scenic landscapes. The Vesuvius park includes nine trails for a total of 54 km, along which it is possible not only to climb up to 1.200 meters, but to observe various naturalistic attractions. Obviously the most popular path (also because it is suitable for everyone) is the one that leads to the extinct crater of the volcano, called "Gran Cono".
- Range: 55,7 km
- A3 motorway, Torre Del Greco exit, follow the signs to the car park (€ 5,00 for the whole day, take the shuttle to the ticket office, cost € 2,00). By public transport, Circumvesuviana Naples-Sorrento to Pompei Scavi - Villa dei Misteri, then tram to the ticket office square (full € 15,00, reduced € 10,00)
- for visits to the crater Jan-Feb-Nov-Dec 9: 00-15: 00; Tue-Oct 9: 00-16: 00; Apr-May-Jun-Sep 9: 00-17: 00; Jul-Aug 9: 00-18: 00
- guided tour of the Gran Cono del Vesuvio full € 11,68, reduced € 9,55
Most Interesting Articles
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see