Known for its art, Padua is a wonderful Venetian city.
Numerous attractions not to be missed: from the fourteenth-century Scrovegni Chapel, known for Giotto's frescoes, to the Basilica of Sant'Antonio, which is the protector of the city, without forgetting the elegant old town full of arcades and cafes.
Ma Padua is also a strategic base for visiting the rest of the Veneto. The surroundings of the city are full of places of interest to which we want to dedicate this article: here are the best day trips around Padua.
- Abano Terme
- Delta del Po
- Villa Barbarigo
- Riviera del Brenta
- User questions and comments
1 - Este
Located south of the Euganean Hills, Este is a Renaissance city very famous for the Carrarese Castle, majestic and elegant, whose interiors have now been used as public gardens.
Very interesting the Basilica of Santa Maria delle Grazie, built by the will of Taddeo d'Este, who had a fifteenth-century Byzantine icon inserted, considered miraculous. The seventeenth-century is beautiful Civic tower of the old gate and the Renaissance Arch of the Falconetto.
Este is also surrounded by charming and ancient villas (private or used as reception rooms). Among those that can be visited: Contarini degli Scrigni villa, built in 1600 by Giorgio Contarini, senator of the Republic of Venice.
- Range: 29,9 km
- Este is 29,9 km from Padua, which can be reached in about 40 minutes by car or public transport. We recommend Trenitalia, fares from € 2,00, or alternatively BusItalia Veneto E013, E008 E009, from Padova Hospital to Este, fares from € 3,00. Get directions
- Castle: 9: 00-17: 00 (winter months), 9: 00-20: 00 (summer months). Villa Contarini degli Scrigni can be visited by appointment: secretariat 049 / 8778272-73-74. Ticket office phone: 049/5590347. or e-mail: email@example.com
- for the Castle € 8,00 (full), € 3,00 (from 6 to 18 years old), Free (under 6 years old). Villa Contarini: € 7,00 (full price), € 5,00 (over 65, students, children aged 5 to 14 and families 2 adults + 2 children under 14), € 3,50 (groups of up to 20 people).
2 - Rovigo
A Venetian town to discover is Rovigo, with its numerous squares, churches, towers and doors.
Very ancient Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, very beautiful Piazza Garibaldi, in which stands a monument dedicated to the same, dating back to 1869.
The very impressive Rovigo Cathedral, dating back to before the year and inside which the "Risen Christ" by Palma il Giovane is kept. Still many other monuments to discover and admire, walking through the streets of the city. Also not to be missed is the Palazzo Roverella Museum, dating back to 1474, in which there are always new and interesting temporary art exhibitions.
- Range: 41,3 km
- It is 41,3 km from Padua and can be reached in about forty minutes by car or public transport. We recommend Trenitalia, fares from € 3,00, or alternatively BusItalia Veneto E016, from Padova Hospital to Rovigo, fares from € 4,00. Get directions
- Palazzo Roverella: 9: 00-19: 00.
- The price for the visit to Palazzo Roverella varies according to the exhibitions hosted inside.
3 - Abano Terme
Tourist destination focused on Wellness, Abano Terme is located in the Regional Park of the Euganean Hills, where natural springs of hot water with beneficial effects flow.
In addition to a relaxing stop at the spa, in Abano it will be interesting to visit the ancient one Roman aqueduct, in whose park there is also the Municipal art gallery which exhibits art exhibitions, the Church of the Beata Vergine della Salute, built in the late Middle Ages, following an apparition of the Madonna during a plague. Also very beautiful Cathedral of San Lorenzo and the lonely Monastery of San Daniele.
- Range: 9,9 km
- It is only 9,9 km from Padua and can be reached in about 15 minutes by car or by public transport. We recommend Trenitalia, fares from € 1,00, or alternatively BusItalia Veneto E015, from Padua Bus Station to Abano Terme Hotel, fares from € 4,00. Get directions
- Pinacoteca:10:00-12:00/16:30-19:30; Chiesa Beata Vergine della Salute: 9:00-12:00/15:30-19:00; Cattedrale: 8:30-10:30; Monastero: 10:00-12:00/15:10-18:00
- Free admission.
4 - Venice
A small pearl on a lagoon of the Adriatic sea: Venice.
Characteristic and unforgettable city, crossed by canals to go by Gondola: the most famous is the Grand Canal.
Elegantly enriched by Renaissance and Gothic palaces, it develops around St. Mark's Square, also known as the "living room of Europe", where a visit to the Basilica and the bell tower of San Marco: architectural symbols of the city, in Romanesque-Byzantine style.
- Range: 41,2 km
- Venice is 41,2 km from Padua and can be reached in about half an hour by car or public transport. We recommend Trenitalia, from Padua to Venice S. Lucia, fares from € 3,00, or alternatively BusItalia Veneto E015, fares from € 3,00. Get directions
- Basilica: 9: 45-17: 00 (from November to March / April); 14: 00-16: 00 (from March / April to November). On Sundays and public holidays the Basilica is open from 14:00 pm to 17:00 pm. Bell Tower: 9: 45-19: 00.
- Basilica: free admission; Campanile: € 8,00 (full), € 4,00 (under 18).
- St. Mark's Basilica: priority access and guided tour / Doge's Palace, Basilica and St. Mark's Square: complete tour
5 - Vicenza
Declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1994, Vicenza is a city of ancient and rare beauty. Adorned by the artistic mastery of Palladio's works, it is a riot of monuments to discover. Among the most important: the Chiericato Palace, also a UNESCO World Heritage Site, dating back to 1550, the Olympic Theatre: the oldest masonry covered temple in the world, the Gothic Temple of San Lorenzo, which dates back to 1280, i Giardini Salvi, The Loggia Valmarana, the Art Galleries of Palazzo Leone Montanari, the Church of Santa Corona.
A real little Venetian pearl.
- Range: 33,6 km
- It is 33,6 km from Padua and can be reached in about half an hour by car or 15 minutes by public transport. We recommend Trenitalia or Trenitalia arrows, from Padua to Vicenza, fares from € 2,00 or € 7,00, or alternatively BusItalia Veneto E080, fares from € 2,00, from Porta Savonarola to Vicenza Piazza Matteotti. Get directions
- It is advisable to visit the official sites of the various attractions.
- It is advisable to visit the official sites of the various attractions.
- Villa Valmarana and Tiepolo frescoes: entrance ticket
6 - Po Delta
Declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1999, this wonderful Park is one of the attractions not to be missed during a trip to Veneto. Made up of a set of river branches, it covers an area of 18.000 hectares.
Landscape of a thousand shades: from the countryside to the fossil dunes, from the floodplains to the fishing valleys, to the lagoons. The flora and fauna include over 400 different species, including mammals, fish, amphibians and reptiles.
Bird watching activities are very interesting: the site has in fact over 300 species of birds and is renowned for being one of the most famous ornithological areas in Europe.
- Range: 89,3 km
- The park is 89,3 km away and can be reached in about two hours by car. Get directions
- 10: 00-13: 00. Closed on Monday and Tuesday. (from November to February); 9: 30-12: 30/15: 00-18: 00. Closed on Mondays. (from March to October).
- € 2,00 (full); € 1,00 (reduced).
7 - Treviso
Another very elegant Venetian city, crossed by the Sile river, which makes it suggestive and romantic.
His is very famous Piazza dei Signori, in which the Palace of the three hundred: so called because in ancient times the municipal assemblies made up of three hundred members met there.
The visit to the Fish market (Seafood and raw fish): a small island on the river, where the traditional fish market takes place. Do not miss the Treviso Cathedral, inside which is kept "The Annunciation" by Titian. Finally, the most curious and famous Fountain of the Tits: a fountain embellished with a female sculpture, from whose breasts in ancient times, on the occasion of city celebrations, red and white wine flowed.
- Range: 47,3 km
- It is 47,3 km from Padua and can be reached in about an hour by car or by public transport. We recommend Trenitalia or Trenitalia arrows, from Padua to Treviso Centrale, fares from € 4,00 or € 8,00, or alternatively BusItalia Veneto E060-Z or Mobilita di Marca 101, fares from € 4,00, from Padua Stanga to Treviso. Get directions
- Palazzo dei trecento: Saturday and Sunday, from 14 pm to 30 pm; Fish Market (Fish Market): 18: 00-7: 30. Closed on Sunday and Monday; Duomo: 14: 00-7: 15/12: 00-15: 30 (weekdays), 18: 00-8: 00/13: 00-15: 30 (holidays).
- Palazzo dei trecento: € 5,00 (full), € 3,00 (reduced), Free (under 18); Duomo: ...
- Treviso: 2,5-hour private guided walking tour
8 - Marostica
A curious town in the province of Vicenza, which has become famous for the traditional game of chess with living characters, which takes place on the second weekend of September of even years, since 1923.
Very interesting the Lower Castle of Marostica, built in the '300 by the Scaligeri. Inside it there is a small museum that exhibits the costumes of the traditional chess game.
- Range: 44,4 km
- Marostica is 44,4 km from Padua and can be reached in about 50 minutes by car or public transport. We recommend Trenitalia to Bassano del Grappa, fares from € 3,00, from there Bus Svt 5,44 or 41 to Marostica, fares from € 1,00. Get directions
- Castello inferiore: 9:00-12:00/15:00-18:30
- Castle: € 5,00 (full), € 3,00 (over 65 and children from 6 to 11 years), Free (children up to 5 years).
9 - Villa Barbarigo
One of the most beautiful seventeenth-century villas in Veneto rises in Valsanzibio: Villa Barbarigo, commissioned by the nobleman Francesco Zuane Barbarigo, built between 1665 and 1696.
The Garden of the Villa is a real jewel: a wonderful complex of avenues, lakes, statues, plants and fountains. Of particular beauty: the Monumental Bath of Diana, the Labyrinth, the Island of rabbits, the water jokes of the entrance staircase.
The garden itself is now considered one of the largest (15 hectares) and most intact period gardens in the world. The Villa is instead used for events and stays.
- Range: 20,4 km
- The Villa is 20,4 km from Padua, which can be covered in about half an hour by car or public transport. We recommend BusItalia Veneto E006, from Padova Hospital to Valsanzibio, fares from € 3,00.
- € 11,00 (full price), € 9,00 (groups up to 20 people), € 6,50 (children up to 14 years and school groups).
10 - Riviera del Brenta
Ancient natural bed of the Brenta river, which flows into the Venice lagoon. In this area, with a very high historical and landscape value, some of the most beautiful patrician Venetian villas arise, which with their beauty, their art and their complex architecture recall ancient eras. On the Riviera it is possible to take boat cruises, admiring the postcard landscape, between luxuriant nature and ancient art.
- Range: 25,9 km
- It is 25,9 km from Padua, which can be covered in about half an hour by car.
- Always visitable.
- from € 109 per person. For more info: Cruise on the Brenta Riviera from Padua to Venice