Naples is one of the most beautiful cities in Italy, and a corollary of extraordinary attractions revolve around it. Not only, therefore, monuments and places of interest not to be missed in the city borders, but also pearls of exceptional beauty within walking distance.
So here are the best day trips from Naples: the most interesting things to see around the Neapolitan capital.
- The Phlegraean Fields
- The ruins of Pompeii and Herculaneum
- The Vesuvius Park
- Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast
- The islands of the gulf: Capri, Ischia and Procida
- The Royal Palace of Caserta
- User questions and comments
1 - The Phlegraean Fields
Not far from the center, it is an area with frequent volcanic phenomena, a lunar landscape made of craters, lakes and fumaroles. The Campi Flegrei Regional Park is made up of 40 craters, among which the most active is that of the solfatara in Pozzuoli.
Also in this area there are archaeological sites of enormous value, such as the Neronian Flavian amphitheater, the Temple of Serapis, the Anto della Sibilla and the Castle of Baia, home to the Archaeological Museum of the Phlegraean Fields.
Finally, there is also a submerged archaeological area, which can be visited by boat and then diving or snorkeling. In addition, several fantastic thematic excursions agencies in the area in full Italian style, for example tours on a Vespa or Fiat 500.
- Range: 21 km
- by metro, line 2 Barra-Pozzuoli, Campi Flegrei stop. Cost of the ride € 1,50, about 25 minutes
- it depends on the areas and museums you want to visit or the organized tours chosen
- Tour to the Phlegraean Fields by Fiat 500 or Vespa
2 - The ruins of Pompeii and Herculaneum
An unmissable stop for those visiting Naples, Pompeii and Herculaneum are the two cities buried by the eruption of 79 AD, crystallizing houses, streets, even people in an almost surreal way. The excavation area is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Discovered in the eighteenth century almost by chance by a prince who carried out excavations in his villa in Portici, today only a small part of the ancient urban area has been brought to light.
The excavations of Pompeii are, together with the Colosseum, the most visited archaeological site in Italy. If you don't want to wait hours at the entrance, we recommend booking a skip-the-line tour with a private guide
- Range: 23,9 km
- Circumvesuviana Naples-Sorrento, route cost € 3,60 for a 30-40 minute journey. Get off at the Pompei Scavi - Villa dei Misteri stop (250 meters from the Porta Marina entrance). By car, about 27 km, reachable in 23 minutes via the A3 Napoli-Salerno motorway (Pompei exit) - Get directions
- Herculaneum € 11,00 / Pompeii € 15,00 - buy online
3 - The Vesuvius Park
Vesuvius is the symbol of Campania together with Naples and the Amalfi Coast. A natural park with nine paths, 54 km, 1.200 meters above sea level, excursions of all kinds, craters, observatories, and a truly unique flora and fauna.
The most popular excursion is the one that reaches the "Gran Cono", the extinct crater, a route suitable for everyone.
A slightly more demanding excursion is the one through the "Valle dell'Inferno", a path that mostly unravels on a solidified lava bed through a pine forest.
In general, if you plan to visit the park, do not intend to spend less than 4 hours. More yes.
The excursions start from 1.000 meters high in the upper square, where you can buy a ticket (€ 10,00). At the top is the Vesuvian Observatory, the oldest volcanological observatory in the world.
- Range: 22 km
- by car A3 motorway, Torre Del Greco exit and then follow the signs to the parking lot. The cost of parking is € 5,00 for the whole day, from there a shuttle (€ 2,00) leaves to the ticket office. By public transport, bus to Pompeii and then tram to the ticket office square (tram cost € 10,00 for children and € 15,00 for adults)
- € 10,00 full price, including mountain guide, reduced € 8,00, free for children under 120 cm and accompanied disabled people
- Recommended tours: tour with wine tasting and lunch included, or combined tour Pompeii + Vesuvius, more info
4 - Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast
14 places of unrivaled beauty, a few kilometers from Naples, on a panoramic road that the whole world envies us: the Amalfi coast, from Positano to Vietri, passing through Amalfi, Ravello, the Emerald Grotto.
Along the way there are villages with houses perched in the rock and overlooking the sea, full of colors and surrounded by the sea.
The Path of the Gods, from Agerola to Positano, is about 10 km long, and will give you decidedly breathtaking views, winding between the Amalfi Coast and the Sorrento Coast, all along the Lattari Mountains.
The Sorrento coast extends from Castellammare di Stabia to Punta Campanella. Sorrento, the flagship of this route but of the whole Campania, is a maze of narrow streets full of artisan shops. And do we want to talk about food? Limoncelli, sweets, a true concentrate of sun and Campania.
- Range: 44,7 km
- Amalfi is connected to Naples by SITA buses (about 2 hours). By car A3 motorway, Vietri sul Mare exit, then SS163 coastal road. For Sorrento, Circumvesuviana from Naples (about € 3,50), by car on the A3 motorway towards the Sorrentine Peninsula, exit at Castellammare di Stabia then state road to Sorrento
- Amalfi Coast: all inclusive tour from Naples Sorrento: 2 hour walking tour
5 - The islands of the gulf: Capri, Ischia and Procida
Capri, Ischia and Procida are small truly enchanting islands, ideal for boat trips or dream weekends.
Capri can be reached from Naples or Sorrento in about 45 minutes by hydrofoil. Once at the port of Marina Grande, you can decide to take part in organized tours or take a solo walk among the beauties of the islet.
Absolutely not to be missed are the caves of Capri: Grotta del Corallo, Grotta Bianca, Grotta Verde, and of course the famous Blue Grotto.
Ischia is the largest in the gulf, connected by Naples or Pozzuoli. Here you can enjoy the beaches, take a boat ride in the caves, visit the Aragonese Castle and of course relax at the famous thermal springs.
Finally Procida is the wildest and also the smallest. Also connected from Naples or Pozzuoli, it is a real fishing village, with a medieval center known as "Terra Murata", accessible only through a panoramic road overlooking the sea. In Procida it is possible to visit an island within the island: Vivara is in fact an islet connected by a small bridge, today a natural park that can be visited by appointment, but originally a hunting reserve of Charles III.
- Range: 38,1 km
- Capri and Ischia can be reached in about 1 hour by hydrofoil from Naples (cost about € 20,00), Procida in half an hour by hydrofoil (cost about € 13,00)
- Island of Capri: full-day tour from Naples Ischia: half-day panoramic coach tour
6 - The Royal Palace of Caserta
Just 26 km from Naples and well connected by public transport, you cannot go to the Neapolitan capital and not make a trip to the Versailles of Italy.
The Royal Palace of Caserta is in fact the palace wanted by Charles of Bourbon to flaunt his power, and today it is one of the most beautiful royal residences in Europe.
Masterpiece of the architect Luigi Vanvitelli, it has 1.200 rooms between royal apartments, luxurious rooms, opulent salons. There is no shortage, according to the customs of the time, the private chapel and the court theater.
Ma the real highlight are the gardens, rich in works of art, fountains, ponds, waterfalls. They are divided into two spaces, namely the Italian garden and the English garden.
- Range: 26,8 km
- by bus or train from Naples in about 35-40 minutes - ticket cost about € 3,00
- full € 12,00 (including palace and gardens), or € 9,00 (palace only)
- the historic apartments are open from 8:30 am to 19:30 pm, although the ticket offices close at 18:45 pm and the last entry is allowed at 19:00 pm. As for the gardens, however, the entry / closing times vary from month to month (we recommend consulting the official website). Tuesday is the ordinary closing day
- Private tour to the Royal Palace of Caserta
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking