Leipzig is a wonderful German city located in the eastern part of Germany. Always the cultural center of the country, with numerous museums, art galleries and concert halls, it is not subject to mass tourism.
But if you love history, architecture and art, this is the perfect city for you. And not only, its surroundings are absolutely worth a visit, among beautiful castles, big cities and natural wonders. To reach the cities you can rely on the efficient railway network, but to reach some castles the best solution is to rent a car. But now we will see everything better in detail.
Here are what they are the best day trips around Leipzig!
- Hubertusburg Castle
- Colditz Castle
- Moritzburg Castle
- Kriebstein Castle
- Markkleeberg and Cospuden
- User questions and comments
1 - Berlin
The German capital is located a little less than 200 kilometers away and by car it will take you about two hours and 10 minutes, traffic permitting. But the train is the best solution to reach the destination, thanks to the direct connection lasting 1 hour and 10 minutes.
The city is modern, but the tragic history it had to undergo is not forgotten. While you will see modern and forward-looking structures, in some areas you will be able to relive historical events of global significance such as the fall of the wall.
Obviously, there are so many things to see and we advise you to select and organize your itinerary well, based on the things you would most like to visit. Surely you can't miss a visit to the Reichstag, the city's parliament, and the Berlin Wall, or rather, what's left of it.
- Range: 190 km
- reachable in 2 hours and 10 minutes by car or by direct ICE train from Leipzig Hauptbahnhof station to Berlin Hauptbahnhof station, travel time 1 hour and 12 minutes, from € 22,00 - Get directions
- the city is always accessible; For timetables of the main attractions, see 10 things to see in Berlin
- for the costs of the main attractions, see 10 things to see in Berlin
- 24 or 48 hour bus tour ticket 3 hour bike tour of the main attractions walking tour of the 10 main attractions
2 - Dresden
It is located just 120 kilometers east of Leipzig, not far from the border with the Czech Republic. To reach it you have two options: by renting a car or, best solution, with the direct train IC or ICE which will take you to your destination in just 1 hour and 10 minutes.
The city is located on the banks of the Elbe river and, due to its beauty, is still known today as the "Florence of Elba". Of medieval origin, unfortunately 75% of the historic center was destroyed during the Second World War. But thanks to a lot of willpower, the city has returned to the beauty of the past.
Start your day walking through the streets of the historic center, and then visit it Zwinger, the city's major cultural and tourist attraction, an incredible Baroque architectural complex. Another incredible building is the Frauenkirche church, symbol of the destruction of Dresden due to the bombings of the Second World War.
- Range: 121 km
- reachable in 15 hour and 1 minutes by car or by direct IC / ICE train from Leipzig Hauptbahnhof station to Dresden Hauptbahnhof station, travel time 10 hour and 17,00 minutes, from € - Get directions
- the city is always accessible; the Zwinger is open from Tuesday to Sunday from 10:00 to 18:00, closed on Mondays; the Fraukirche is open every day from 10:00 to 12:00 and from 13:00 to 18:00
- admission to the Zwinger gardens is free, admission to the museum costs € 12,00; admission to the Fraukirche is free
- Semperoper visit and Old Town tour Dresden: Historical walking tour in Germany Dresden City Card
3 - Erfurt
It is a beautiful town, in the distant region of Thuringia about 150 kilometers west of Leipzig. Also in this case the options to reach it are always the same: in a journey of one hour and 30 minutes by car or, best solution, with the direct ICE train which will take you to your destination in just 40 minutes, very convenient!
Nowadays, the city has one of the best preserved medieval historical centers of Germany, this because fortunately it escaped the bombings that instead destroyed many of its neighbors, such as the aforementioned Dresden.
Your visit can only start from Fischmarkt, the main square and the real heart of the city. From here you can move in any direction, please don't forget to see the particular Krämerbrücke, in Italian Ponte dei Bottegai, and the Domberg, the Cathedral Hill, the symbol of Erfurt.
- Range: 150 km
- reachable in an hour and 30 minutes by car or by direct ICE train from Leipzig Hauptbahnhof station to Erfurt Hauptbahnhof station, journey time 41 minutes, from € 25,00 - Get directions
- the city is always accessible; the cathedral is open every day from 9:30 to 17:00
- admission to the cathedral is free
- Erfurt: Treasure hunt through the old town
4 - Hanover
The capital of Lower Saxony is about 265 kilometers away and 2 and a half hours by car or 2 hours and 47 minutes by direct train. But we assure you that it is really worth it and for one day the alarm may sound a little earlier than usual!
It is a city of other times, where past and tradition blend with future and modernity. Between streets of medieval origin, houses with typical German architecture, large parks and lakes, you will be pleasantly struck by this city, which you may have ignored until now.
We recommend that you start your visit from the historic center and from Marktplatz, the main square and the heart of the city. Here you can also climb the steeple of the Marktkirche and admire a wonderful panorama. But there is a "do it yourself route" that you can follow and that will lead you to discover all the main attractions: the red thread, a 4,5 km route to discover buildings and monuments in the center of Hanover. You can buy the brochure with the route for only € 3,00 at Hannover Tourist Information at the central train station, where the route also starts.
- Range: 265 km
- reachable in 2 hours and 35 minutes by car or by direct train from Leipzig Hauptbahnhof station to Hannover Hauptbahnhof station, travel time 2 hours and 47 minutes, from € 44,00 - Get directions
- the city is always accessible; Hannover Tourist Information is open every day from Monday to Friday from 9:00 to 18:00, Saturdays from 10:00 to 17:00 and Sunday from 10:00 to 15:00
- the brochure for the "Filo Rosso" itinerary costs € 3,00
- tickets for SEA LIFE Hannover
5 - Hubertusburg Castle
In the surroundings of Leipzig there are beautiful castles, including that of Hubertusburg, located just 60 kilometers away from the German city. The only way to reach it is by car, in a journey of 40 minutes.
If you want to take a tour of the different castles around Leipzig, we recommend that you rent a car.
This castle is not well known to the major tourist trade, but it is definitely worth a visit! It is in the Rococo style, was born as a hunting reserve of the princely house of the Wettins, as in this area Augustus the Strong, elector of Saxony and king of Poland, often came to hunt. Over the centuries it changed function several times and today it houses a museum.
- Range: 58,2 km
- reachable in 40 minutes by car, there are no alternatives by public transport - Get directions
- open Monday to Friday from 10:00 to 14:00
- full € 7,00, reduced € 5,00
6 - Colditz Castle
It is not very far from Leipzig, it is almost 60 kilometers away, and you can easily reach it by car in a journey of just under 50 minutes. Again, there are no connections to public transport.
The castle was built in the 1046th century, it is in fact mentioned for the first time in a historical document in . Over the centuries the structure has often changed its function, in addition to the fact of undergoing various changes and additions: first as a royal residence, then a hunting lodge, over the years a real zoo was also created inside, which was then transformed into a forest; in 1800 it became a hospice and later a workhouse, until it became a prison during the two world wars.
Today it is used as a stage for numerous events, such as concerts, cultural events and theatrical performances.
- Range: 58,8 km
- reachable in 48 minutes by car, there are no alternatives by public transport - Get directions
- open from April to October every day from 10:00 to 17:00, from November to March every day from 10:00 to 16:00; guided tours from April to October at 10:30 am, 13:00 pm and 15:00 pm, from November to March at 11:00 am and 14:00 pm
- full € 9,00, reduced € 7,50, you can pay only in cash
7 - Moritzburg Castle
It is located about 120 kilometers from Leipzig and 17 kilometers from Dresden. Indeed, you might think of combining a visit to the city and this beautiful castle in a single day. To reach it, you will have to take the direct train to Dresden and then from there take the 477 bus that will take you to your destination, for a total time of 2 hours. With the car you will be much faster and will arrive in just 1 hour and 15 minutes.
The castle it is considered the most spectacular royal residence in all of Saxony. It is completely surrounded by water, and with the perfect light beautiful reflections are created on the water. From the Baroque style, it was built between 1723 and 1733 at the behest of Augustus the Strong. Today inside, in addition to the magnificent rooms, you can admire some permanent exhibitions and every year the Moritzburg Festival, an annual chamber music festival.
- Range: 120 km
- reachable in 1 hour and 15 minutes by car or by direct IC / ICE train from Leipzig Hauptbahnhof station to Dresden-Neustadt station (from € 17,00), and from Dresden take bus 477 to Moritzburg Schloss stop, travel time 2 hours - Get directions
- open Tuesday to Sunday from 10:00 to 17:00, closed on Mondays; guided tours from March to November at 10:30, 12:00, 14:00 and 15:30
- full € 8,00, reduced € 6,50, for the guided tour supplement of € 3,40
8 - Kriebstein Castle
It is located almost 90 kilometers from Leipzig and, again, the only way to reach it is the car. Unfortunately, there are no public transport connections from the city. But being a short distance from Colditz Castle, about 25 kilometers, you might think you will see them both in one day.
Let yourself be amazed by this castle, its position is very particular: it is located on a huge rocky outcrop overlooking the Zschopau River, giving a postcard landscape. The construction of this castle began at the behest of the Beerwalde family in 1384, who wanted it as a residential and royal seat. It then passed from family to family and each owner made different modifications and different styles to the castle. Today the castle is only open on Saturdays and Sundays and hosts numerous events for all tastes, from classical music concerts to mysterious tours, from thematic programs for children to dinners of historical knights.
- Range: 89,4 km
- reachable in an hour minutes by car, there are no alternatives by public transport - Get directions
- open only Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 to 16:00
- full € 6,00, reduced € 5,00
9 - Markkleeberg and Cospuden
We want to offer you an excursion into nature, a few kilometers from Leipzig. We are talking about the so-called New Lakes area, where the localities of Markkleeberg and Cospuden are located.
These two towns also give their names to the two lakes that surround them, the Markkleeberger See and the Cospudener See. To reach this area the most convenient way is the S-Bahn which from the center of Leipzig will take you directly to Markkleeberg in just 15 minutes.
This area is popular especially among the inhabitants of the area, who come here to relax and get back in touch with nature, detaching from the chaos of the city. A nice way to explore this area would be to rent a bike in Leipzig, and then follow the numerous cycle paths along the shores of the lakes.
- Range: 10 km
- reachable in 15 minutes by car or by S-Bahn 5, 5X and 6 to Markkleeberg station, journey time 15 minutes - Get directions
- always accessible
- free; average cost of bike rental € 5,00 for up to 5 hours, € 10,00 up to 24 hours
10 - Belantis
We want to offer you a perfect activity to do if you are traveling with your family, but even if you just want to have fun! We are talking about the Belantis, the amusement park near Leipzig, which is only 18 kilometers away, and among the aforementioned lakes. To get there you can use the car or comfortably take the S-Bahn to and then bus 105 which will take you to the front of the park.
In this theme park you will find rides, shows and attractions to spend a beautiful day full of fun! Between pirate islands, water games, the prairie of the Indians, the island of the knights and the castle of Belantis, there is something for everyone. There is also a "Paw Patrols & CO" area dedicated to children.
- Range: 18 km
- reachable in 20 minutes by car or by S-Bahn 5, 5X and 6 to Markkleeberg and from Markkleeberg station by bus 105 to your destination - Get directions
- the park is generally open from 10:00 to 17:00, in July and August from 10:00 to 18:00 and on some special occasions until 20:00; before leaving, consult the precise timetables on the official website
- if purchased at the ticket office full € 37,50 and reduced € 32,50; if purchased online a single ticket from € 25,90
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking