Liguria, it is now known, is a region of undisputed charm with its famous promontories that drop sheer to the sea and small beaches of sand and gravel. Without forgetting its ancient soul made up of churches, basilicas, narrow streets dating back to the 500th century and squares where in the past merchants from all over the world sold their products and therefore made cities like Genoa the undisputed protagonists of maritime trade. From the latter it is possible to reach interesting sites and cities not to be missed, that's why we propose you the best day trips around Genoa, the regional capital of Liguria.
- Bogliasco, Pieve Ligure and Sori
- Camogli and Recco
- La Spezia
- Antola Regional Natural Park
- Cinque Terre
- Natural Park of the Capanne di Marcarolo
- User questions and comments
1 - Bogliasco, Pieve Ligure and Sori
These three pretty villages they arise along the ancient Roman road known as Via Aurelia: walking it will be a unique and enchanting experience, as you will cross curves overlooking the sea, among pines, steep rocks and views that will leave you breathless. They were born anciently as small seaside villages unique for their simplicity, you will also observe elegant villas overlooking the sea, particular restaurants both on the heights and overhanging the sea where you can taste the best fish in the area.
Bogliasco offers both sandy and pebble beaches, both of which are really clean and worth seeing. Pieve Ligure is divided into Pieve Bassa and Pieve Alta; recommended the panoramic itinerary, called "of the Mysteries", which leads to the summit of Monte Santa Croce and is linked to the Marian cult. A few kilometers from the latter rises Sori and among its treasures we must include the Church of Santa Margherita, the Piazzetta di Sant'Erasmo, and finally, but not least, the famous free beaches on which high cliffs adorned with nature rise. unspoiled.
- Range: 11 km
- How to get to Bogliasco: from Genoa they are about 20 minutes by car and the cost will be around € 5,00; by public transport it will take 20 minutes using the REG23703 train towards Sestri Levante, getting off at the Bogliasco stop, which will cost no less than € 2,50 each way - Get directions
- How to get to Pieve Ligure and Sori: from Genoa they are about 30 minutes by car and it will cost you about € 5,00; by public transport it will take you about 25 minutes using the REG23703 train towards Sestri Levante getting off at Pieve Ligure at € 2,50 each way. From Bogliasco it is 4 minutes by car, by public transport you will arrive there in just 15 minutes using the REG23703 train at € 2,50 each way. If you then want to go to Sori from Pieve Ligure, you can reach it in just 3 minutes by car through the Aurelia, by public transport you could use the bus 70 towards Recco getting off at the Via Aurelia F. 5 Bivio For Sori Station, the ticket will cost € 2,00 - Get directions
- always accessible
2 - Camogli and Recco
Recco is considered a small jewel characterized by mountains overlooking the sea and sandy beaches and by a historic center with the Marian sanctuary dedicated to the Madonna del Suffragio, erected towards the middle of the XVIII century, the Church of Santi Giovanni Battista and Giovanni Bono.
Also known with the nickname "City of a thousand white sailing ships", Camogli is a village characterized by the typical figurative art of the houses with elements of the "trompe l'oeil" style. The most interesting part is definitely the ancient medieval island dominated by the Basilica of Santa Maria Assunta, also worthy of note is the small port, with its wooden goiters and pleasure boats. Do not miss the famous Ligurian focaccia with anchovies.
Interesting the Dragonara Castle which was built in medieval times to defend the village and the coast, subsequently used to house the Tyrrhenian Aquarium, therefore it was equipped with tanks with sea water where specimens of marine fauna were housed. Camogli is the perfect place for nature and trekking lovers thanks to its numerous scenic routes.
- Range: 19,6 km
- How to get to Recco: from Genoa by car it is about 30 minutes and the cost will be about € 6,00; by public transport it will take 30 minutes using the REG23703 train towards Sestri Levante, getting off at the Recco stop, which will cost no less than € 2,50 each way - Get directions
- How to get to Camogli: from Genoa it is about 35 minutes by car and the cost will be about € 6,00; by public transport it will take 35 minutes using the REG23703 train towards Sestri Levante, getting off at the Camogli stop, which will cost no less than € 2,50 each way. Recco is just 4 minutes by car from Camogli and 3 minutes by public transport (REG23703) - Get directions
- always accessible
- the tour we propose costs € 57,00 per person
- Camogli: walking tour with traditional food tasting
3 - Sanremo
The city of Sanremo is located west of Genoa towards the French border and is famous all over the world for the well-known Sanremo Festival, singing competition that sees the greatest artists of Italian music compete. Among other things, Sanremo is also famous for its Casino where there is also the Teatro del Casino where the Italian Song Festival was originally born in 1951, moved to the Ariston Theater in '76.
The most famous street is certainly Via Matteotti, the undisputed place for shopping, but also home to the Ariston Theater, the Matuziana Museum and Art Gallery and the Borea d'Olmo Palace.
The historic center is a flagship of the Ligurian city, but the famous are not to be underestimated Belvedere and Piazza Bresca, the real center of nightlife located near the old port, able to offer a wide choice of places for all tastes.
For sports lovers we recommend the cycle path of the Coastal park of the Riviera dei Fiori and numerous routes to be made by mountain bike, without forgetting that there are all the right prerogatives to practice for example fishing, diving, horseback riding etc.
- Range: 146 km
- from Genoa it is about 2 hours and 50 minutes by car and the cost will be about € 40,00; by public transport it will take you 2 hours and 15 minutes using the RV11352 train to Ventimiglia, getting off at the Sanremo stop, which will cost no less than € 5,00 each way - Get directions
- always accessible
4 - La Spezia
La Spezia overlooks the famous Gulf of Poets and a pretty town located at the extreme eastern tip of Genoa.
Do not miss Via del Prione, full of shops, and the Amedeo Lia Civic Museum, full of precious medieval pieces, Limoges ceramics, portraits and sculptures. The covered market in Piazza Cavour is renowned with its stalls of fresh fish and fruit.
The Archaeological Museum of the San Giorgio Castle and the Naval Technical Museum are also worth a visit.
One of the most suggestive places it is certainly the long route that goes from Porto Mirabello, full of luxury yachts and boats of all kinds, to the famous Morin promenade.
- Range: 103 km
- from Genoa it is about 2 hours and 50 minutes by car and the cost will be about € 25,00; by public transport it will take you 1 hour and 10 minutes using the Trenitalia lines for example towards Rome or Grosseto, getting off at the Stazione La Spezia Centrale stop, which will cost no less than € 5,00 each way - Get directions
- always accessible
- the tour we propose costs € 270,00 per group
- La Spezia: 2,5 hour private guided tour with local guide
5 - Antola Regional Natural Park
A perfect destination for sports lovers and not only is certainly the Antola Park: located in the Genoese hinterland and on part of the Ligurian Apennines, the territory includes two valleys, Valli Scrivia and Trebbia, which are characterized by different environments that include rock formations (conglomerate of Savignone), slopes of the marly limestone of Antola, but also extensive valleys, panoramic peaks, hidden groves and even basins rich in water.
These valleys are perfect for lovers of sports thanks to the presence of numerous hiking trails with 270 km of trails: you could for example climb or mountaineering on the Rocche del Reopasso, or rowing along the waterways of the Val Trebbia and Valle Scrivia. This place also offers ways to practice mountain biking and cycling, paragliding, hang gliding and sport fishing.
- Range: 36,2 km
- from Genoa it is about 1 hour and 5 minutes by car via the A 12 Genova - Rosignano motorway (Genova Est exit) and the cost will be approximately € 6,00; by public transport it will take 1 hours and 10 minutes using the Trenitalia lines direct along the Genoa-Arquata Scrivia line and with the Genoa-Casella railway, the stretch will cost no less than € 5,00 - Get directions
- the territory is always accessible, while the various sites included therein follow opening hours and days that may vary. For more info consult the official website http://www.parcoantola.it/
6 - Cinque Terre
This spectacular Ligurian area includes five villages famous for the terraced hills with vineyards, the hidden paths on the hills and the colorful houses overlooking a paradisiacal and crystalline sea and is became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 97.
The villages that make it are Monterosso, Corniglia, Vernazza, Manarola and Riomaggiore.
Monterosso is composed of an old village, where inside it sees medieval churches, and then the new village, full of bathing establishments, where the statue of the Giant Neptune also stands.
Then we have Corniglia, a village further away from the sea that has remained almost stationary in time and famous for Vernaccia, the well-known wine also sung by Boccaccio in his Decameron.
Vernazza, on the other hand, has a characteristic small beach full of boats.
Manarola is a jewel and known worldwide for its colorful houses and balconies that offer spectacular panoramic views.
Finally Riomaggiore with the famous Via dell'Amore, the Castle of Cerricò, the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Montenerola and the Church of San Giovanni Battista. To join these magnificent places there are numerous paths and the best known is certainly the Blue Trail.
- Range: 73 km
- from Genoa it is about 1 hour and 30 minutes by car and the cost will be about € 20,00; by public transport it will take you about 2 hours using the REG24531 train getting off at the Sestri Levante stop, then take the REG24463 towards La Spezia Centrale getting off at the Monterosso stop, the stretch will cost no less than € 10,00. To move around the Cinque Terre Park you can use the efficient regional trains directed to La Spezia - Get directions
- always accessible
- the tour we propose costs € 145,00 per person
- Cinque Terre: sunset boat tour
7 - Savona
Savona is located on the western side of Liguria and is known for its clean sea and excellent quality of life.
It includes several sites not to be missed such as the Priamar Fortress, an ancient military complex dating back to 1542 which today is used as a cultural center and seat of the archaeological museum. A short distance from it there is the Old Dock, which extends up to the imposing Leon Pancaldo Tower. The Ceramics Museum and the works kept inside the Civic Art Gallery are interesting. The Cathedral, also known as the Cathedral of the Assumption, boasts a particular Baroque style and is enriched with frescoes dating back to the th century and also preserves the famous relics of St. Valentine. Among the symbolic monuments of the city there is the Torre del Brandale.
- Range: 50,1 km
- from Genoa it is about 53 minutes by car via the A10 / E80 and the cost will be about € 20,00; by public transport it will take 1 hour using for example the 23734 train directed to Albenga getting off at the Savona stop, the stretch will cost no less than € 10,00 - Get directions
- always accessible
- the tour we propose costs € 75,00 per person
- Savona: traditional food tour
8 - Cuneo
Cuneo rises inside the evocative and particular area where the Alps stand out, in correspondence of the Gesso stream with the Stura river.
The city center is certainly located in Piazza Galimberti, primary road axis, characterized by its medieval arcades and home to the beautiful market every Tuesday. Via Roma has also become important for the inhabitants of Cuneo: here tourists can also stroll or have an excellent aperitif in one of the numerous bars.
Da do not miss the ancient Jewish ghetto, or Contrada Mondovì: it is a pedestrian area where it is possible to find the Diocesan Museum and various typical shops; The monumental Gothic complex of the former Piedmontese church of San Francesco is also worthy of importance, inside which there is the Civic Museum and important cultural events. And then, for lovers of good food (and especially sweets), we invite you to taste the famous Cuneesi al Rhum, chocolate desserts also famous for being loved by the famous Hemingway.
- Range: 142 km
- from Genoa it is about 1 hour and 53 minutes by car via the A10 / E80 and A6 / E717 and the cost will be around € 35,00; by public transport it will take about 3 hours and 30 minutes using the RV2514 train directed towards Turin Porta Nuova getting off at the Torino Lingotto stop, then with the RV10117 train for Ventimiglia you will arrive in Fossano, here use the REG22977 towards Limone getting off at Cuneo, the stretch will cost about € 12,00 - Get directions
- always accessible
9 - Turin
Turin is one of the best known and most beautiful cities in Italy, the Piedmontese nerve center behind which the beautiful Alpine peaks rise.
One of the most beautiful places is certainly Piazza Castello, full of bars and wine bars and home to the ancient Turin lounge. But you will also find numerous palaces that were the site of Turin's sumptuous past, in particular of the kingdom of Savoy: we are talking about the Royal Palace, Palazzo Carignano and Palazzo Madama. Do not miss the religious buildings such as the Cathedral, where the Holy Shroud is supposed to be kept, the Basilica of Superga, the Gran Madre, the Consolata, the Crocetta, masterpieces that narrate the history of Turin and represent the best testimonies of great architects such as Juvarra or Guarini.
Other essential stops are then the famous "Collegio dei Nobili", home to the Museum of Egyptian antiquities where there is a collection of about 5.000 artifacts, the Gallery of Modern Art and the RiFlights Castle, the Mole Antonelliana (symbol of Turin in the world) and the famous National Cinema Museum, emblematic of the film industry.
- Range: 161 km
- from Genoa it is about 2 hours by car via E25 and E70 and the cost will be about € 20,00; by public transport it will take 1 hour using for example the 2RV2522 train towards Turin Porta Nuova, the stretch will cost no less than € 12,00 - Get directions
- For timetables of the main attractions, see 10 things to see in Turin
- for the costs of the main attractions, see 10 things to see in Turin
- Half day bike tour to discover Turin
10 - Natural Park of the Capanne di Marcarolo
Located between Liguria and Piedmont, this park it preserves an important and unique ecosystem in the context of Northern Italy! its visitors will have the opportunity to discover its wonders through the various naturalistic itineraries, or by climbing the slopes of the Tobbio, or along the banks that line the (artificial) lakes of Lavagnina, all enriched by wonderful views overlooking the beautiful Ligurian Sea .
The faunal variety includes numerous reptiles and amphibians, including for example 8 different species of snakes or the Italian newt. Then there are the brown trout and the freshwater shrimp that live in streams such as streams or streams. The park is destination of numerous birds in the migratory period: for example, you can admire the biancone, an eagle, at risk of extinction, which nests in this park and for this reason has become the emblem of the protected area.
- Range: 37,5 km
- from Genoa it is about 1 hour and 20 minutes by car via E25 and the cost will be about € 10,00; the destination is not served by public transport - Get directions
- always accessible