Well known for their beautiful beaches, both rocky and sandy, bathed by an equally beautiful sea and for their exceptional climate, warm all year round with very little rain, the Canary Islands are the favorite destination of many tourists looking for relaxation and beautiful landscapes. Their archipelago is made up of 7 large islands plus some smaller islets and if you don't want to take the classic holiday having to choose just one island out of all, the best alternative is a nice cruise tour that will allow you to land on almost all of them! Therefore here is some useful information on climate, prices and itinerary for a cruise to the Canaries!
- When to go? The best time for a cruise to the Canaries
- How much does a cruise to the Canary Islands cost? Prices, tips and itinerary
- Cruise itinerary
- User questions and comments
When to go? The best time for a cruise to the Canaries
- Best time: from May to October the climate is perfect for beach life and also allows for excursions to the central areas of the islands.
- Period to avoid: the winter season, although never cold, is ideal for excursions but not for days at sea, which would be a real shame to go to the Canaries and miss the beaches, which are one of the reasons why you usually choose to visit this destination.
- Advice: to visit more islands it is advisable to choose the Spanish company Pullmantur Cruises which leaves directly from the Canaries on an itinerary including 4 islands, rather than starting from an Italian port and stopping in various ports including only 2 stops in the Canaries. This type of trip is ideal especially for families, for couples and for the elderly, or at least for all those looking for relaxation and tranquility. The Canaries are also the ideal destination for lovers of surfing and hiking in the midst of nature.
Climate, Average Temperatures and Precipitation
The climate of the Canary Islands is sub-tropical, influenced by the location near the Tropic and exposure to the Mediterranean Sea. This makes that the archipelago enjoys an ideal climate, not excessively hot, never too cold, and with the right amount of rain, scarce but not entirely absent. Temperatures are moderately high and depend mainly on the winds that blow from Africa, while rainfall comes from the Mediterranean Sea. Since the Canary Islands are arranged in different positions, we can make some distinctions. For example Lanzarote and Fuerteventura are the hottest islands but also the windiestWhile El Hierro and La Palma are the coolest, Gran Canaria is the least rainy of all. As for the sea temperature, we can say that it is always very high, in fact it is around 20 ° C all year round, reaching 23 ° C during the hottest months!
How much does a cruise to the Canary Islands cost? Prices, tips and itinerary
- Price: a cruise to the Canary Islands with Pullmantur Cruises has an average cost of € 900,00 per person in a high season such as May or June. The price refers to an external cabin with full board and drinks included. Usually the company includes in this price also the round trip flight from Italy to Tenerife or Gran Canaria, since its cruises depart from these two islands, but the addition of the flight is optional, in fact if you want you can only buy the cruise for about € 150,00 less and do it yourself for the flights. Excursions are not included, however, but they can be purchased on board individually at a price ranging from € 25,00 to € 70,00 or choose a package including several excursions for around € 170,00.
- Recommended duration: if you buy a cruise that starts from Italy, the recommended duration is at least 10 days given the navigation necessary to reach the islands. If, on the other hand, the cruise leaves directly from a port in the Canary Islands or from nearby Morocco, then you can opt for a 6-day cruise so you can visit the main islands and take part in various excursions to discover the beautiful places of the Canary Islands.
- Companies that organize cruises to the Canary Islands: Pullmantur Cruises, Costa Cruises, MSC
There are different types of itineraries, and generally also touch ports that are part of the Mediterranean and Atlantic circuit, such as Funchal, Lisbon or Vigo. The following is just one of the many cruise itineraries that include the Canary Islands among their stops.
- Departure from Milan or Rome airport and expected arrival on the island of Tenerife at Santa Cruz de Tenerife airport in 4 hours;
- Cruise accommodation and departure from the port of Santa Cruz de Tenerife with the first stop on the island of La Palma, where you can relax on the beach on the first day and enjoy a day at sea, for example in Playa de los Cancayos, and on the second day have a city tour Santa Cruz de la Palma or take an excursion to the Caldera de Taburiente National Park.
- 2-day stop, departure for Agadir, where you can spend another day at the beach on the Plage d'Agadir, or visit the city and stroll in the Jardin d'Olhao, or take an excursion to the Souss-Massa National Park.
- Stop of 12 hours, departure for the island of Lanzarote, where you can surf, for example in the cove of Famara, or relax on the beach at Playa de Matagorda. The visits not to be missed are the one to the city Arrecife, the Timanfaya National Park and the Graciosa Island.
- Stop of 7 hours, departure for the island of Gran Canaria, where you can visit the city of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and the Caldera de Bandama or go to the sea in different beaches, for example one in the morning and one in the afternoon. The beaches that we recommend are the dune beaches of Maspalomas and its nearby Playa del Inglés with its golden sand.
- Stop of 13 hours, return to the island of Tenerife, where your cruise ends. Here you can spend a few more hours before returning to Italy and visiting the city of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, or take an excursion to the Teide National Park, or choose one of the many beaches to spend another day at the beach. The best beaches in Tenerife are Playa de Las Américas, Playa las Teresitas, Playa de las Vistas.
- Stop for 1 day in Tenerife and then leave from Santa Cruz de Tenerife airport and return to Italy at Milan or Rome airport.
The Canary Islands are located geographically off the coast of Africa, in correspondence with Morocco, just above the Tropic of Cancer, but their territory belongs to Spain. The Canary Islands can still be considered tropical islands as they are practically at the same latitude as Hawaii and the Caribbean.
What to bring in your suitcase?
Certainly beachwear and respective accessories must not be missing such as swimsuit, beach towel, glasses and sunscreen, without forgetting a hat that always comes in handy for the high summer temperatures! As for general clothing obviously prefer shorts, t-shirts and tank tops, but don't forget long trousers, some long-sleeved shirts and a sweatshirt or a summer jacket, useful for stages in windy areas and during navigation!
Travel informed: useful information
- Cities and islands concerned: the islands are Tenerife, Fuerteventura, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, La Palma, La Gomera and El Hierro, and the respective cities are Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Puerto del Rosario, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Arrecife, Santa Cruza de la Palma, San Sebastian de la Gomera and Valverde.
- Languages: Spanish
- Local currency: EUR
- Weather: mild climate, average temperatures 15/25 ° C
- vaccinations: no vaccination required
- Entry requirements: a valid identity card or passport is required
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking