In the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, the Azores islands are a paradise for lovers of wellness and healthy paths. There are, in fact, several pools and small natural cobalt blue lakes obtained from rock complexes which, together with a kaleidoscope of landscapes, contribute to form the magnificent views of the Azores.
The Azores Cruise allows you to enjoy a succession of spectacular views in the comfort of a ship, and make routes and excursions among vegetation, small craters, valleys and cities.
Below all the useful information and itineraries to better organize a Cruise to the Azores.
- When to go? The best time for a cruise to the Azores
- How much does a cruise to the Azores cost? Prices, tips and itinerary
- Cruise itinerary
- User questions and comments
When to go? The best time for a cruise to the Azores
- Best time: the summer one, in particular in July and August, which are the hottest and sunniest months; June is a bit cooler and cloudy, while September is hot and has more frequent rainfall.
- Period to avoid: from November to March, the coldest and rainiest months.
- Advice: The Azores cruise is perfect for families and nature lovers. Excursions should be booked in advance, it is not a suitable place for "do it yourself". If you want to save a little, consider traveling in May and September, you will find interesting offers.
If your itinerary includes a stop at several islands of the archipelago, have a spirit of adaptation and a good physical shape (given the type of nature trails) to fully enjoy an extraordinary natural reality.
Climate, Average Temperatures and Precipitation
The climate of the Azores is mild all year round. In winter, temperatures range from 11/12 ° C at night to 15/17 ° C during the day, while in summer from a minimum of 18/20 ° C to a maximum of 24/26 ° C. On winter nights, however, they rarely drop below 7/8 degrees.
As for rainfall, in the autumn and winter months they are frequent; in some north-western islands (such as Flores) particularly abundant. In the summer months, from June to August, they are rare and less consistent (5/7 days a month).
The amount of sunshine in the Azores is not ideal, especially between October and April; also there is no lack of wind storms between November and March.
Finally, to bathe, the ocean in the summer is quite cool, with temperatures of 22/23 ° C.
Here are the average temperatures and rainfall in Ponta Delgada.
How much does a cruise to the Azores cost? Prices, tips and itinerary
- Price: from a minimum of € 2.000 to a maximum of € 5.000, including intercontinental transfers, full board, cabin and any excursions
- Recommended duration: at least 10 days, the ideal is 15.
- Companies that organize cruises to the Azores islands: MSC, Royalcaribbean, Celebrity Cruises, Holland America, Azamara
There are different types of itineraries, and they generally also touch ports that fall within the circuit of the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean and African coasts, such as the Canaries, Madeira and Lisbon. The following is just one of the many cruise itineraries that include the Azores among their stops.
- Departure from Rome airport Fiumicino with a stopover in Amsterdam and expected arrival at Southampton airport (England) in 5 hours.
- Cruise accommodation and departure from the Port of Southampton - Navigation.
- Stop at Punta Delgada a lively city where you can see important monuments, such as the Forte de São Brás, or take an excursion to Lake Fournas. In the village of the Fournas valley, visitors are invited to drink the excellent thermal waters that make the site famous.
- Stop in Funchal, on the island of Madeira (Portugal), where you can visit the historic center with the Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, the sacred art museum, the Sao Lourenço palace and the Botanical Garden.
- Stop in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, a port city on the island of Tenerife, in the Canary Islands. Here you can visit the Museum of Nature and Man, essential to immerse yourself in the culture of the area, Plaza de España, which houses a splendid fountain and the Government Council building. In front of the square is the town hall of the island of Tenerife, with a richly decorated interior. Again, you can see Torres de Santa Cruz, the two largest towers of the Canary Islands and the castle of San Juan.
- Stop in Lisbon, the capital of Portugal. You can enjoy the country's culinary specialties in the many restaurants, visit the National Museum of Old Art, the imposing castle of São Jorge and the whole charming old town.
- Return to the port of Southampton to then organize return flights.
The Autonomous Region of the Azores is an archipelago of volcanic origin and is part of Portugal. The nine islands that make up the archipelago they stretch for more than 600 km in the heart of the Atlantic Ocean and are 1.360 km west of the coast of mainland Portugal and 1.925 km south-east of Newfoundland (Canada).
The Azores are divided into 19 municipalities and each municipality is further divided into 156 smaller territorial entities (freguesias). Being an Autonomous Portuguese Region, the executive section of the local authority is in Ponta Delgada, the legislative section in Horta and the judicial section in Angra do Heroísmo.
What to bring in your suitcase?
In winter, bring spring / autumn clothes, sweater, jacket, raincoat or umbrella as it often rains. A jacket is fine for those who suffer from the cold, because the wind can be annoying.
In the summer, pack light clothes, bathing suit, a sweatshirt or sweater for the evening, light jacket, hats and sunglasses, umbrella (rain can always occur suddenly).
A small travel pharmacy should never be missing, however, the islands do not present any health hazards.
Do not forget dress and elegant shoes for gala evenings on the ship and a backpack for excursions.
Travel informed: useful information
- Cities and islands concerned: the cities are Ponta Delgada, Angra, Horta, Ribeira Grande and Praia da Vitória.
The islands in descending order of surface are São Miguel, Pico, Terceira, São Jorge, Faial, Flores, Santa Maria, Graciosa and Corvo
- Languages: Portuguese
- Local currency: euro (€)
- Weather: mild and fresh for many months; pleasantly warm in the summer. Winter temperatures range from 11/12 ° C at night to 15/17 ° C during the day, summer temperatures from 18/20 ° C minimum to 24/26 ° C maximum.
- vaccinations: no vaccination required
- Entry requirements: valid identity card and valid for expatriation
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking