Mexico City is the fulcrum and capital of the homonymous country, center of Mexico and cradle of the lively Mexican daily life. This place can join the modernity typical of big old-fashioned cities Mayan culture it deserves a few days to visit at least once in a lifetime. Let's go and discover together what this incredible place has to offer.
- Travel informed: useful information
- Where it is
- When to go? Info on climate and best time
- 10 things to see: beaches and places of interest
- What to do in Mexico City: excursions and tours
- How much does a vacation in Mexico City cost? Prices, offers and advice
- User questions and comments
Travel informed: useful information
- Inhabitants: about 9 million
- Languages: Spanish (official language), Amerindo, Maya
- Local currency: Mexican peso (€ 1,00 = 0,046 MXN)
- Weather: the hot season lasts 2 months, from March to June, with temperatures over 26 ° C. The cool season runs from November to February with an average minimum temperature of 6 ° C and a maximum of 21 ° C
- Time zone: GMT-7 (-7h compared to Italy)
- vaccinations: there are no compulsory vaccinations but if you want to feel safe, consider the recommended antimalarial during the rainy period
- Entry requirements: passport with remaining validity of 6 months from the date of return. Visas are not required for tourist stays, simply fill in the entry sheet delivered by plane
- Travel / health insurance: recommended.
Where it is
Mexico City is the capital of the state of Mexico. It is located in the central area of the country at an altitude of 2.500 meters. Mexico borders the United States of America to the north and to Belize and Guatemala to the south.
How to reach us
- From Rome: there are direct flights operated by Interjet, with a flight duration of approximately 14 hours. Alternatively, there are flights with a stopover in Madrid, performed by Iberia and take about 17 hours - Compare flights from € 579,00 -
- From the main European capitals: the airlines that connect the main European cities to the capital of Mexico are many. For example, direct departures from Barcelona, Paris or Frankfurt can be convenient.
When to go? Info on climate and best time
- Weather: the climate is subtropical, mild and warm during the day but cool in the evening, very cold in winter. In summer the average temperatures are around 25 ° while in winter around 10 °.
- Best time: the best period is between April and May when the temperatures are not yet torrid but it is not yet within the rainy period that goes from June to September - more info on climate and best time
- Period to avoid: between late October and February as temperatures are very low. Also, if you plan to hike the Atlantic coast to the Gulf of Mexico, there is a risk of hurricanes.
- Advice: do not forget sunscreen in your luggage as during the day in summer the sun beats very strongly and, with the slight breeze due to the altitude, the risk of sunburn is very high. If possible, avoid carrying flashy backpacks, a small shoulder strap is preferable as unfortunately there are not few cases of snatching.
10 things to see: beaches and places of interest
- Plaza de la Costitución (Zócalo): is the main square of Mexico City and is one of the largest in the world. It is the hub of city life and here are the major buildings and monuments of the place.
- Torre Latinoamericana: it is a very high tower from which you have a wonderful 360 ° view over the city. Access is free and there is also the possibility of dining on the 41st floor.
- Palace of Fine Arts: symbol of the city and is recognized everywhere for its wonderful external facade and the golden dome that dominates it. Here are the most famous works of art of the state.
- Alameda Gardens: they are located next to the Bellas Artes museum and it is where citizens spend their afternoons immersed in greenery. Mingle among the Mexican people and enjoy relaxation surrounded by greenery.
- Frida Kahlo's birthplace: it is located in the Coyoacán district and has the name of Casa Azul for its bright blue walls. Symbol of the famous Mexican artist, both the villa and the gardens where she took inspiration can be visited.
- Coyoacán neighborhood: it is a picturesque neighborhood full of colors thanks to the stalls and food markets that populate it every day. Here you will be surrounded by music and colors until night.
- Guadalupe Basilica: it has been a pilgrimage basilica for years, a place of worship for Christians and one of the most revered in Mexico. The staircase will leave you speechless and you will have the opportunity to admire the landscape from its vantage point.
- Paseo de la Reforma: it is a huge 10-lane avenue that cuts across the city and where the richest buildings are located, including the United States embassy, the bank and very high skyscrapers.
- San Angel neighborhood: it is a wonderful district of artists and painters dominated by old houses with an epoque style. Walking through its cobbled streets will make you feel in another world and another time.
- Ruins of the Templo Mayor: the remains of a pyramid built around 1428 masters this once sacred place that refers to the time of the Aztecs. This is the perfect visit for those who want to relive Mexican history.
What to do in Mexico City: excursions and tours
How much does a vacation in Mexico City cost? Prices, offers and advice
Mexico City is a city relatively cheap. If we assume one full day for accommodation, meals, visits and transport the average cost per person is about € 90,00.
A medium quality meal costs around € 12,00 and some attractions are free; Local buses cost an average of € 0,37 (80 MXN) and the cheapest accommodations start at € 15,00.
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 30,00 per room -
- Low cost flights: starting from € 579,00 -
- Return flight + 7 days / 6 nights from € 750,00 per person -
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking