The arrival of Christmas, Boże Narodzenie in Polish (literally "birth of God"), is truly felt both in Warsaw and throughout Poland.
While waiting for Santa Claus and the other gift-bearers, the men of the Star or Gwiador, we always enjoy a truly traditional Christmas Eve dinner. Once the courses had to be thirteen and the seats even as one had to be left blank for the possible arrival of a friend or family member. The menu on the other hand should not include meat but well twelve vegetarian dishes, a form of wish for the next twelve months.
Here are some advice on Christmas in Varvasia! And between fun on the ice rinks, walks among the spectacular lights in the historic center and good food, we just have to wish you Wesołych Świąt!
- Plan your trip: flights, hotels and All Inclusive packages
- Tickets, tours and bookable activities
- What to do: events and activities
- What to see in Warsaw at Christmas
- Climate and useful info
- User questions and comments
Covid-19 emergency: events, concerts and demonstrations could undergo last-minute changes due to the Coronavirus pandemic. We recommend that you inform yourself well about the situation of the destination you intend to visit before departure. If you are planning a trip, follow government guidelines and make sure you are in line with safety measures.
Plan your trip: flights, hotels and All Inclusive packages
For a perfect vacation the best area to stay, even at a good price, is the historic center, with the main attractions very close by, for example the Palace of Culture and Science, the Museum of the Warsaw Uprising, the University of Warsaw, the National Museum and the Presidential Palace.
To save on transport costs we recommend that you buy the Warsaw Pass for discounts and special offers based on the length of your stay.
Christmas Offers in Warsaw: Flight + 4 nights in hotel
- starting from € 46,00 -
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 45,00 per room -
- Flight + hotel package: Return flight + 5 days / 4 nights from € 258,00 per person -
Tickets, tours and bookable activities
We suggest some activities and tours to do in Warsaw. Click on the tour you are interested in for more information or to book.
What to do: events and activities
1 - Tour of the Christmas markets
Longo via Podwale a beautiful market is set up every year, the main one in the city.
Enjoy an unmissable stroll among the various stalls displaying souvenirs, local handicrafts, typical porcelain and, of course, sweets and products of traditional Polish cuisine. Many other markets are set up in other districts of the city.
It is open to the public from around late November / early December, the exact date changes every year, and ends on January 6. Generally, they are open from Sunday to Thursday from 10:00 to 21:00 and on Friday and Saturday from 11:00 to 21:30. Admission to the markets is free.
2 - "Zimowy Narodowy", the winter town
"Zimowy Narodowy" is there beautiful winter town that is set up inside the National Stadium of the city, in al. Księcia Józefa Poniatowskiego 1 (Get directions). It features ice rinks and an 11-meter-high ice mountain, perfect for having fun sliding, curling and using the skatepark. There is also a food court and two ice bars. The area is also used for sporting and musical events.
The "Zimowy Narodowy" is open from the end of November until March. Prices vary according to the day of the week and the activities you want to participate in, but in general it starts from a basic ticket of 14,00 PLN (about € 3,20) up to 60,00 PLN (about € 13,70 , ); for more information you can consult the official website.
3 - Walk through the lights and Christmas tree
Don't miss the wonderful light show, thousands to be exact, the largest light installation in Poland and Europe. They extend for over 20 km near the Royal Section, from Castle Square (plac Zamkowy), passing by Krakowskie Przedmiescie, Nowy Swiat, Trzech Krzyzy Square and Aleje Ujazdowskie, up to the Belvedere Residence, where they end.
In front of the Royal Castle instead you can admire the beautiful Christmas tree, 27 meters high. The lights are generally activated in early December.
A 2-hour guided walking tour of the city will allow you to enjoy the Christmas atmosphere and at the same time savor the historical and cultural aspect of the Polish capital.
With a Hop-on Hop-off panoramic bus tour you can enjoy the show and above all stop whenever you want, with stops between shopping centers or Christmas markets, and then go back up and continue the tour.
4 - Ice skating
The ice skating rinks are in between the funniest and most popular attractions for Warsaw residents and tourists. There are both indoor and outdoor ones and are generally open in early December.
Le best known are that of the Central Square of the Old Town, near the statue of the Little Mermaid, the symbol of the city, and that of the Palace of Culture and Science. The rinks are both and the possibility to rent skates is also given. A truly unmissable experience in the heart of Warsaw.
5 - Chopin concert
If you are in Warsaw, you absolutely cannot miss it the Chopin concert held every day in the historic center. Chopin is one of the most important Polish musicians ever, his music is studied all over the world. A pianist will play for you in a concert of about 50 minutes in the building where the composer performed at the age of only 13.
Concerts are held every day in the late afternoon, at 18pm or 00pm at Chopin Point Warsaw, at Krakowskie Przedmieście, 19. Reservations are highly recommended, especially on weekends and public holidays, as seats they sell out quickly (book online here). Entrance costs 00 PLN (approximately € 62).
What to see in Warsaw at Christmas
Warsaw during the Christmas period is filled with a unique atmosphere. It is a truly exciting period and full of attractions set up just to celebrate as a couple, with friends or with the whole family.
There are so many activities to do: from shopping in the classic markets to the fun ice rinks, without forgetting the real Christmas cities set up to immerse yourself even more in the climate of the most beautiful time of the year!
- Christmas markets along Podwale Street
- "Zimowy Narodowy", the winter town inside the National Stadium
- Walk among the illuminations and Christmas tree
- Ice rinks, indoor and outdoor like the one in the Old Town Central Square
- Find out more about what to see in Warsaw
Climate and useful info
- Weather: very cold and rainy, with maximum temperatures around 3 ° and minimum temperatures of 1 °, but they can also drop below zero; on average 8 rainy days are expected - more info on climate and temperatures in Warsaw
- Warsaw Chopin Airport is located in the Okecie district, where direct flights arrive from Rome and Milan in about 2 and a half hours (with a stopover from 4 to 5 hours); 10 km from the center of Warsaw, reachable with the SKM S2 and S3 train lines (ticket at 3,40 PLN, about € 0,80), with buses 175, 188, 148, 331 and N32 (ticket starting from 4,40 PLN, around € 1,00) or by taxi (average cost 40 PLN, around € 9,20)
Compare flights to Warsaw - from € 46,00
- Getting around: best way on foot or by bicycle; as far as public transport is concerned you will find underground, buses and trams, for which you must always indicate the reference area and the duration of the journey: the cost varies from PLN 3,40 for 20 minutes (about € 0,80) to 7,00, 90 PLN for 1,60 minutes (approx € ) - more info on how to get around Warsaw
- Useful passes and cards: you can also buy day passes with unlimited rides from PLN 15,00 (about € 3,45); The Warsaw Pass is the official tourist card of Warsaw, which includes visits to the most important museums and unlimited use of the hop on hop off bus, plus discounts and special offers for 24, 28 or 72 hours, from 119,00 PLN (€ 27,35) to 139,00 PLN (€ 32,00)
- Average cost of Christmas dinner: around € 60,00 per person for a good restaurant
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking