The true serial traveler, suffering from acute wanderlust syndrome, is the one who starts planning the next trip before he even returned home from the last ... If you also belong to this category, you are probably already dreaming of the place to spend next Christmas.
If this year you want to treat yourself to a happy and carefree Christmas, between parties, colored lights and smiles, then the ideal destination for you is undoubtedly Madrid!
Here is a guide for better organize your holiday, get ready to spend a real Madrileño Christmas!
- Plan your Christmas in Madrid: Flights, Hotels and All Inclusive Packages
- Tickets, tours and bookable activities
- What to do: events and activities
- What to see in Madrid at Christmas
- Climate and useful info
- User questions and comments
Covid-19 emergency: events, concerts and demonstrations could undergo last-minute changes due to the Coronavirus pandemic. We recommend that you inform yourself well about the situation of the destination you intend to visit before departure. If you are planning a trip, follow government guidelines and make sure you are in line with safety measures.
Plan your Christmas in Madrid: Flights, Hotels and All Inclusive Packages
Madrid is one of the most visited cities in the world. For this reason, find a good hotel at an affordable price it may not be an easy feat. Fortunately, we'll take care of offering you some good solutions at the right price! Here attractive offers for Flight + Hotel.
Christmas Offers in Madrid: Flight + 4 nights in Hotel
- Return flight Rome - Madrid from € 79,00 -
- 4 nights in Hotel from € 326,00 per room -
- Flight + hotel package:
Return flight + 4 nights / 5 days in 3/4 star hotel from 23 to 27 December - from € 484,00 per person - see the offer
Tickets, tours and bookable activities
We propose some activities and tours to do in Madrid. Click on the tour you are interested in for more information or to book.
What to do: events and activities
1 - Enjoy the "Walk of Lights"
All the central streets of the city are embellished by the characteristic lights. But the best thing is that you can make a real one "guided" walk from Calle Goya to Plaza Mayor, crossing the Gran Via (crossroads full of shops, theaters, etc.) and admiring some iconic places such as Puerta de Alcalá, Plaza de Cibeles and Puerta del Sol. Once you arrive at Plaza Mayor you can visit the most beautiful Christmas market in Madrid. The journey takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
2 - Visit the Christmas markets and the craft fair
Even though i Madrid Christmas markets they are not exactly like those of Central European countries, however they are particularly fun places to explore. There are several throughout the city, but as mentioned, the largest is located in Plaza Mayor (Get directions). It is called Mercado de Navidad and is full of Christmas decorations, souvenirs and other products perfect for small gifts (scarves and jewelry). Other markets and fairs of interest are:
- Mercado de Artisania Fair
Plaza de Espana - Get directions
- Navidad en Oriente
Plaza de Oriente - Get directions
3 - Have fun on a skating rink
Like many other cities in the world, Madrid offers dozens of outdoor ice skating rinks in several squares in the center. They usually open early in the morning (around 10am) and close late (between 00pm and midnight). Here are some of the tracks available:
- Galería de Cristal, inside the CentroCentro located in Plaza de Cibeles (Get directions)
- Pista de hielo Javier Fernández, located in Plaza de Azca (Get directions)
- Pista de hielo Villa de Vallecas on Paseo Federico García Lorca (Villa de Vallecas Metro Station - Get Directions)
- Palacio de Hielo Dreams on Calle Silvano, 77 (Canillas Metro Station - Get Directions).
What to see in Madrid at Christmas
Visit Madrid and being able to see and do all that such a large city has to offer is certainly not an easy task. From great museums to restaurants, majestic architecture and characteristic streets, each corner hides unique and unusual wonders. To make your choice a little easier, we wanted to offer you a focus on attractions not to be missed!
- Parque del Retiro
- Almudena Cathedral
- Royal Palace
- Santiago Bernabeu Stadium
- Find out more about what to see in Madrid
Climate and useful info
- Weather: The climate is basically rainy and temperatures range between 3 ° C (Min) and 11 ° C (Max)
- Barajas International Airport is about 18 km from the center of Madrid (about 20/40 minutes), and is connected with direct flights to the main European and Italian cities. The direct Rome-Madrid flight lasts 2 hours and 35 minutes.
- Getting around: The metro is one of the most effective means of transport for getting around. The single ticket costs € 1,50, the 10-ticket booklet costs € 12,20. The purchase of tourist passes is highly recommended (€ 8,40 for 1 day, € 14,20 for 2 days, € 18,40 for 3 days, € 26,80 for 5 days, € 35,40 for 7 days)
- Useful passes and cards: to save on admission tickets to museums, on bike and scooter rental and on meals, we recommend purchasing the Madrid iVenture Card.
- Average cost of Christmas dinner: from € 50,00 / 70,00 per person (NB: on Christmas Eve the restaurants close around 19: 00/20: 00)