Cervia is a town in the province of Ravenna. With its 9 km of beach on the Adriatic Sea it is one of the favorite summer destinations for Italians and from Romagna in particular.
The history of the city is linked to salt production, and today there are many tourist attractions that testify to it, starting with the beautiful Borgo dei Salinari to continue to Salt Museum. Do you think that one of the most famous celebrations is the festival called Sapore di Sale which takes place on the second weekend of September, on Saturday afternoon the "burchiella", the boat used to transport salt, reaches the port for the distribution of 'white gold to all present.
On the streets you will come across squares, fountains and really characteristic churches, the beauty is that all the places of greatest interest are concentrated in the Old Town and therefore it is really difficult to think of getting lost.
In this article you will find one guide on what to see, where to eat and what to do in the evening in Cervia!
- What to see in Cervia in a weekend
- What to see in Cervia in one day: recommended itinerary
- Where to eat in Cervia: the best restaurants
- What to do in the evening: the nightlife areas and the best clubs in Cervia
- Plan your stay in Cervia: info and useful tips
- User questions and comments
What to see in Cervia in a weekend
1 - Pisacane Square
It is one of the main squares of the historic center and is also called Piazza delle Erbe. History says that according to the initial project this space was to have been part of the internal courtyard of the Palazzo Comunale, but in the end it became a square for exchanges and businesses. The restaurant present today in the square has taken the place of the ancient and historic fish market, active until a few decades ago. Furthermore, here you can see the "stone of measurements", a table from 1636 containing the units of measurement to which the inhabitants of Cervia and foreigners had to comply, among these the "step", a kind of meter for fabrics and the "square" , the tile used for the construction of the floors.
- it is located in the center, between the Municipality and the Parish of the city - Get directions
- always accessible
2 - Church of Santa Maria Assunta
The cathedral has a facade very simple which almost seems incomplete and recalls the Romanesque churches of central Italy. It overlooks Piazza Garibaldi and on the left side the Grazia Deledda Garden. Inside it is possible to count six chapels, in which there are paintings by important painters including Procaccini and Simone Cantarini.
You can also see the canvas depicting the patron saint of the city S. Paterniano, the work of an anonymous, a baptismal font that dates back to the eighteenth century and the two statues of the Madonna del Fuoco holding the Child and that of San Lorenzo, another relevant figure of the religiosity of Cervia. A few steps was added in 1750 the Bell Tower.
- the church can be reached from Piazza Pisacane in 2 minutes on foot - Get directions
- every day from 8: 00 to 19: 00
3 - Torre San Michele
This tower was built by order of Michelangelo Maffei with thedefense objective of the Cervia office, the tower was in fact equipped with two cannons and a bell to announce the attacks of Turkish pirates. Today it is one of the fundamental tourist attractions, it is majestic thanks also to its dominant position along the harbor channel.
In the evening it is also illuminated making it even more beautiful and evocative. Also on its south side, the one that overlooks Piazza Andrea Costa, there is the Statue of Thalàtta, representing the female figure who identifies with the sea. Inside the tower is the headquarters of theInformation Office and Tourist Reception, and there is also a panoramic room.
- can be reached on foot in 5 minutes from Piazza Pisacane - Get directions
- the panoramic room on the top floor is only accessible for exhibitions or organized initiatives
4 - Salt Museum
The MUSA preserves an important slice of Cervia history that the Civiltà Salinara cultural group wanted to keep alive by collecting in this museum documents, tools and photos that testify the environment and the production of salt. In fact, the salt of Cervia is recognized Slow Food Presidium since 2004. Inside the museum, the "burchiella" stands out among many relics, the iron boat used until the end of the s for transporting salt.
- the museum can be reached on foot in 5 minutes from Piazza Pisacane - Get directions
- Sept-Dec Sat-Sun 14: 30-19: 00, Dec-Jan 14: 30-19: 00, Jan-May / Sept-Dec Sat-Sun 14: 30-19: 00, Jun-Sep 20: 30- 24:00
- € 2,00 inside, € 1,00 reduced
5 - Houses of the Salinari
They were designed by the architect Francesco Fontana and today are located in the historical Borgo dei Salinari, located within the walls of Cervia Vecchia.
It is a place with a history that will make you understand the strong importance of the figure of the salt workers. Along the quadrilateral, which today forms the perimeter of Cervia Nuova, they were built 48 homes, each consisted of eight rooms, almost always divided by four families. The appearance of the city from the outside looked like that of a fortress, no doors were built in the external walls but only windows with solid railings. But in 1790 the houses of the salt workers along the quadrilateral were not enough for all families, and therefore the Borgo dei Salinari was born, consisting of eight houses, four on each side of the road, for a total of 96 rooms and 48 lodgings.
- just reach Via Borgo Aurelio Saffi, reachable on foot in 5 minutes from Piazza Pisacane - Get directions
- always accessible
6 - Bridge of the gates
It is also called Ponte Nuovo or Ponte della Torre, given its proximity to the San Michele Tower. It was built in 1862 and was then destroyed by German mines in 1944. The present one was rebuilt in December 2000 and is a huge movable bridge arrived in Cervia by sea aboard a barge. The bridge is also great panoramic point on the Cervia Canal.
- it is along the Cervia Canal near Viale Nazario Sauro, reachable on foot in 5 minutes from Piazza Pisacane - Get directions
- always accessible
7 - Angelika, the fountain of love
The fountain of love it was recently inaugurated, in May 2008, and was born from a particularly suggestive and moving story. Two Germans from Nuremberg, Angelika and Helmut, arrived by chance in the seaside town of Romagna, living unforgettable days for them, and from that moment they returned every year. When Angelika died prematurely, Helmut decided to donate this fountain to the city in memory of those days spent in their "beautiful Cervia". The structure is the work ofartist Daniel Prapone which took about 400 hours of work to make it and depicts a mermaid holding a fish in her hand.
- is located in Viale Roma in the very center, a few steps from the Municipality, 1 minute from Piazza Pisacane - Get directions
- always accessible
8 - The Suspended Carpet
In another point of the Cervia Canal, in Piazzale dei Salinari, this is located fountain made by the artist Marco Bravura. It really represents a flying carpet in marble with two dunes of salt also made of marble and crystal, which symbolize the history of the city of salt, the flight of the carpet instead represents the will that the city has towards growth and evolution.
- located in Piazzale dei Salinari, it is easy to reach it on foot from Piazza Pisacane in 5 minutes - Get directions
- always accessible
9 - Piazza Garibaldi
This is the square that it symbolizes the heart of Cervia Nuova, presents political power and spiritual power together, here you will see the Town Hall and cathedral facing each other. The Town Hall, born as Palazzo Priorale, was built between 1702 and 1712 with a simple and unadorned style by Francesco Fontana, son of the great architect Carlo Fontana.
- can be reached on foot in 2 minutes from the nearby Piazza Pisacane - Get directions
- always accessible
10 - Church of Sant'Antonio da Padova
The church it is dedicated to Sant'Antonio da Padova and is located on the edge of the historic center, inside it is possible to see the statue of S. Antonio of the eighteenth century and the depiction of the Madonna Child and S. Anna, the work of Giuseppe Milani. At the entrance there are many ex-votos that testify the devotion of the citizens of Cervia to the church, in the past frequented by the poorest classes of the city such as fishermen, sailors and salt workers.
- it can be reached on foot in 3 minutes from Piazza Pisacane crossing the Cervia Canal - Get directions
- every day from 7: 30 to 20: 00
11 - Milano Marittima
It is only 3 km from Cervia, and is definitely worth a visit during your weekend. It is in fact a fraction of the municipality of Cervia and is particularly known for the alto tourism that is registered in the summer, for the nightlife more than lively and the beaches that look like those of Californian films with luxury hotels and panoramic swimming pools.
A trip to Milano Marittima among golden coasts, sunny beaches and lots of activities to choose from is what anyone should do while in the most coveted and loved area of the Adriatic coast. One of the destinations to see is definitely there Pinarella pine forest e Cut, a huge green lung where in summer you can stop in the shadows of the secular pines and dedicate a moment of relaxation.
- reachable from Cervia in 5 minutes by car along Viale Due Giugno (Get directions). Alternatively, you can take the local Start Romagna bus that from the stop near the Municipal Library arrives at your destination in 15 minutes (Get directions)
- always accessible
12 - House of Butterflies
It is located between Cervia and Milano Marittima, it is a large tropical forest that rises in one greenhouse of over 500 square meters where you can admire hundreds of spectacularly colored butterflies from all over the world. For those who love nature it is aunique experience and unforgettable to do, inside both the climate and the environment of the rainforests are reproduced, the temperature is around 30 degrees and the humidity is around 70%. Here live and reproduce butterflies native to tropical regions such as those of Africa, Asia, America and Australia. It is possible to observe them closely, placed on the flowers or on the large leaves of banana trees.
- can be reached by car in less than 10 minutes (Get directions). Otherwise you can take the Start Romagna bus that from the stop near the Municipal Library arrives in Milano Marittima in 15 minutes, then walk to the Casa delle Farfalle
- March, October and November Tue-Fri 9: 30-12: 30 and 14: 00-17: 00 Sat-Sun 9: 30-17: 00. April, May and from 16 to 30 September Tue-Fri 9: 30-12: 30 and 14: 30-18: 00 Sat-Sun 9: 30-18: 00. From June to September 15 every day 9: 30-19: 00
- € 11,00 full, € 9,50 reduced
13 - Terme di Cervia
Il spa it is located adjacent to the millenary pine forest of 27 hectares and allows complete care and wellness treatments, with state-of-the-art equipment and equipment and a medical staff made up of experienced and qualified specialists. For various treatments comes used the Acqua Madre that is born in the salt pans. It is the ideal place for those who want to recharge their batteries and leave everyday life behind.
The structure is very accurate, is characterized by the particular interior design and external solutions such as the colored glass parts. It was built between 1960 and 1961 in a moment of great importance for tourism in Cervia by the architect Carlo Viganò. Inside it is fully equipped, from the wi-fi area to the points of sale, to the entertainment spaces for children and adults.
- you can use the Start Romagna bus that from the stop near the Municipal Library arrives at the Spa in 15 minutes (Get directions)
- Mon-Sat May: thermal baths 7: 30-12: 00 and 16: 30-18: 00 thermal pool 7: 30-18: 00. From June to August: thermal baths 6: 30-13: 00 and 16: 00-18: 30 thermal pool 6: 30-18: 30. From September to November: thermal baths 7: 30-12: 00 and 16: 00-18: 30 thermal pool 7: 30-18: 30
- the cost varies from the treatments chosen
What to see in Cervia in one day: recommended itinerary
In the morning you can start by visiting the cathedral to then enter the city center and reach the Borgo dei Salinari, where you can see the houses built for families in Cervia, and the beautiful and romantic Angelika fountain.
After having lunch at the Osteria Settecento, visit the MUSA, the museum with historical relics of the history of salt located along the harbor channel. A few steps away, the fountain is also worth a souvenir photo The Suspended Carpet, truly unique and of strong significance for the town. Before evening comes, visit the Sant'Antonio Church of Padua.
Spend the late afternoon in peno relaxation at spa, and then dine at Osteria del Gran Fritto, a fish restaurant and homemade desserts with a sea view.
One day itinerary at a glance
- Breakfast at Vaniglia Cafè
- Church of Santa Maria Assunta (8: 00-19: 00, free)
- Borgo dei Salinari
- Angelika, the fountain of love
- Lunch at Osteria Settecento
- Salt Museum (Sept-Dec Sat-Sun 14: 30-19: 00, Dec-Jan 14: 30-19: 00, Jan-May / Sept-Dec Sat-Sun 14: 30-19: 00, Jun-Sep 20: 30-24: 00, € 2,00)
- Fontana The Suspended Carpet
- Church of Sant'Antonio da Padova (7: 30-20: 00, free)
- Thermal baths (Mon-Sat 7: 30-18: 30, variable cost according to the treatment)
- Dinner at Osteria del Gran Fritto
Where to eat in Cervia: the best restaurants
- Eighteenth century tavern: menu of tortellini, fish and typical Emilian dishes with organic ingredients. Average price per person: € 25,00 Address and contacts: Via XX Settembre, 37 (Get directions) / tel: +39 393 979 4484
- Osteria del Gran Fritto: fried fish restaurant and homemade desserts in a simple room and terrace overlooking the sea. Average price per person: € 25,00 Address and contacts: Via Arrigo Boito, 28 (Get directions) / tel: +39 0544 974348
- La Pantofla Restaurant Circolo Pescatori: offers fish and seafood; place overlooking the canal. Average price per person: € 20,00 Address and contacts: Viale Nazario Sauro, 1 (Get directions) / tel: +39 339 723 0318
- Osteria delle Mura: restaurant with specialties of ravioli and cappelletti and game. Average price per person: € 20,00 Address and contacts: Via Girolamo Savonarola, 13 (Get directions) / tel: +39 0544 970136
What to do in the evening: the nightlife areas and the best clubs in Cervia
The Romagna Riviera is also known thanks to its nightlife, it is true, it is one of the favorite destinations of young people for this reason. To find the best clubs and pubs for nightlife, however, it is better move towards Milano Marittima, certainly much cooler and more fashionable, in Cervia most of the clubs are concentrated along the canal and some also on the seafront, here we recommend three of the most popular.
The best pubs, clubs and discos
- Just: restaurant located on the seafront that organizes happy hours, dj-sets, is one of the most popular / Address: Lungomare Grazia Deledda, 98 (Get directions)
- Tamarindo Bistrot: located along the canal of the port, it is a place open until dawn where you can spend a perfect evening / Address: Viale Nazario Sauro, 10 (Get directions)
- Fantini Club: an important club for the nightlife of Cervia, it is a bathing establishment and offers every possible comfort / Address: Lungomare Grazia Deledda, 182 (Get directions)
Plan your stay in Cervia: info and useful tips
- by car from Ravenna in about 30 minutes along the SS16 towards Lidi Sud. The city is served by regional trains of Trenitalia and TPER that connect it to the main towns such as Ravenna or Rimini
- Getting around: quietly and comfortably on foot, or if you have the possibility and the desire by renting a bicycle
- Where to park: Via Milazzo - corner Via Teano, it is suitable for reaching both the center and the beach, there is also a free bicycle service by showing the parking ticket (h24, € 5,00) - Get directions
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 30,00 per room -
- What to see in the surroundings: Cesenatico (11 km), Bellaria-Igea Marina (20 km), Cesena (22 km), Ravenna (22 km)
Most Interesting Articles
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see