Sicily is a land where the Mediterranean it offers very intense scents, scents and flavors and unspoiled nature. The villages silhouetted on its coasts have different stories and beauties, but they share what makes them unforgettable to the tourist: the sea. Named so because the famous paladin Orlando, directed to the Holy Land, stayed there for a short period, Capo D'Orlando is a small village on the sea that opens to those who visit it, quiet and relaxed, full of that simple and seafaring atmosphere, typical of Sicilian towns.
The beautiful marina, recently inaugurated, is the flagship of this millennium, but also history and culture can be breathed while walking through the streets of the center, with the backdrop of a spectacular sea that offers glimpses of postcard landscapes. Vacationing in Capo D'Orlando means relaxing on its splendid beaches, confused in the colors of the sky and the sea or lost among the most fashionable clubs.
- 10 things to see in Capo d'Orlando in a weekend
- What to see in Capo d'Orlando in one day: recommended itinerary
- Where to eat in Capo d'Orlando: the best restaurants
- What to do in the evening: the nightlife areas and the best clubs in Capo d'Orlando
- Plan your stay in Capo d'Orlando: info and useful tips
- User questions and comments
10 things to see in Capo d'Orlando in a weekend
1 - Bastion Castle
Erected to protect the plantations from pirate raids, it remained the property of noble families until modern times. Today is a multipurpose center, includes a beautiful garden and hosts exhibitions and artistic, cultural and theatrical performances.
- reachable from the train station in about 15 minutes by car. Get directions
- every day from 8:30 to 12:30 and from 16:00 to 20:00
2 - Small Villa
On the hills of the hamlet, this private villa is now a cultural center very respectable and a museum which also includes a very rich library. The park in which the building is immersed is also beautiful, full of different varieties of plants and flowers.
- reachable from the train station in about 10 minutes by car. Get directions
- visits are allowed by reservation only (contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
- full € 7,00 - reduced € 4,00
3 - "Agatirnide" Municipal Antiquarium
Small museum located under the cultural center of the city (Municipal Library), in the structure are exposed finds from the Bronze Age, which testify to the millenary history of the area. The exhibition space is divided into different thematic areas and in relation to the typology and dating of the finds, accompanied by exhaustive illustrative panels.
- a 10 minute walk from the train station is recommended. Get directions
- from 8: 00 to 14: 00 and the 16: 00 to 19: 00
4 - Roman Baths of Bagnoli
Le Baths of Bagnoli are an archaeological area in Capo d'Orlando, in the Bagnoli district. These magnificent thermal baths, of Roman origin, were found in 1987 during excavations and are thought to have been part of a Roman villa from the III-IV century. AD They are composed of eight rooms, divided into three different environments and the signposted route guides you through all the areas that can be visited.
- you can reach the archaeological complex in less than 10 minutes by car or by bus line n ° 1 from the railway station. Get directions
- every day from 8: 00 to 19: 00
5 - San Gregorio beach
Very long coast, full of ravines and rocky coves that follow one another for several kilometers. The beach has a pebbly beach and the easy access to the sea makes it suitable for families with children. Many services, with bars, restaurants and beaches for renting sunbeds. In this part of the coast the sea is particularly transparent and suitable for snorkeling, even if its exposure makes it, at times, a little moved.
- from the railway station it takes about 5 minutes by car or by bus line n ° 1. Get directions
- always accessible
6 - Sanctuary of Maria Santissima and Belvedere
Erected on the top of the Capo D'Orlando mountain, this sanctuary was recently renovated and consists of the church of 1600 and the remains of an ancient castle. The inlaid wooden ceiling is beautiful, while in the main chapel there is a copy of the statue of the Madonnina, because the original one was stolen in 1925. The Sanctuary is the most important place of worship in the city, but the nearby Belvedere deserves a visit. allows you to admire a splendid panorama.
- starting from the train station, we recommend a walk through the center to arrive in about 20 minutes on foot. Directions to the Sanctuary - Directions to the Belvedere
- always accessible
7 - Marina
This marina was inaugurated in 2015 and was designed not only for boat moorings, but also to make the area accessible to the whole city. You can find bars, restaurants and shops and you can spend a few hours here in total relaxation, contemplating the blue sea, even if you don't own a boat. From here, boats can be rented for day trips.
- if you leave from the train station, you will arrive in less than 5 minutes by car. Buses of line n ° 1 also leave from the station. Get directions
- always accessible
8 - The Lighthouse
One of the best preserved and beautiful lighthouses of the whole Italian peninsula, it represents one of the symbols of the city of Capo D'Orlando. The structure dates back to 1900, and is composed of a square plan of intense pink color adjacent to another building, always with a square plan and at a single level of yellow color.
- from the railway station you arrive in two bus stops with line n ° 2 or n ° 3 or 10 minutes on foot. Get directions
- always accessible
9 - Scafa Park
The Scafa park is an area equipped for walks, on foot or by bike, where you can spend a few hours admiring the view that stretches out over the sea. There are play areas for children, bars and the remains of a small Greek-Roman amphitheater that can be visited
- reachable by car in 10 minutes from the train station. Get directions
- every day from 8: 00 to 20: 00
10 - Goletta Trail
Accessible only on foot, this old mule track, about 1,2 km long and 1 m wide, was once the only link between the village of San Gregorio and the center of Capo D'Orlando. Over time it has been made safe to make it accessible to those who want to take a walk admiring suggestive views in the silence of a path rich in flora and fauna.
- from the railway station you can arrive with line n ° 2 or n ° 3 in about 10 minutes. Get directions
- every day from 8: 00 to 20: 00
What to see in Capo d'Orlando in one day: recommended itinerary
Bastion Castle it is the first stop of a hypothetical daily tour, both because it is one of the symbols of the city, and because it is the most distant site from the center and it is preferable to visit it when it opens, so that you can have the rest of the day at your disposal. In the morning you avoid the queues, especially if it hosts some event of strong appeal, and it is also possible to visit the beautiful internal garden. From here we return to the center, passing through the seafront and admiring the old lighthouse, and then climb the viewpoint and visit the Sanctuary of Maria Santissima.
After lunch we continue with the ascent of the Goletta trail to enjoy the view from above and the luxuriant nature of the old mule track. Not far from there, the Roman Baths of Bagnoli they deserve a visit for the historical and cultural value they represent and for the beauty of the mosaics present in the archaeological site. The itinerary continues towards Marina, the ideal place to rest a stone's throw from the water, admiring the splendid boats and the strolls of yachtsmen. If you have time and the period allows it, the beach of San Gregorio offers itself with its colors, the clarity of the water and the beauty of its seabed. At sunset the show is certainly impressive.
For dinner you can decide to stay in the area, and then eventually return to the center, where you can stay up late in a pub or club.
One day itinerary at a glance
- Breakfast at the Bar Pasticceria Vicino (Get directions), on the road that leads to the castle and where you can taste both the homemade pastry and sandwiches.
- Bastione Castle - every day from 8:30 to 12:30 and from 16:00 to 20:00 - ticket price: free
- Sanctuary of Maria Santissima - always accessible - ticket price: free
- Lunch at Ristorante i Carusi (Get directions), a nice restaurant with high quality cuisine and excellent service.
- Goletta Trail - opening hours: every day from 8:00 to 20:00 - ticket price: free
- Roman Baths - opening hours: every day from 8:00 to 19:00 - ticket price: free
- Marina - opening hours: always accessible - ticket price: free
- Dinner at Gugliotta restaurant (Get directions), returning from a long day for excellent fish dishes in a very suggestive setting.
Where to eat in Capo d'Orlando: the best restaurants
- Gugliotta: informal environment but high quality cuisine, which offers fish dishes and local products. Excellent wine list.
Average price per person: € 40,00
Address and contacts: Porto di Marina, snc Get directions tel: (0039) 0941964510
- The Carusi: elegant restaurant in the city center offering revisited and contemporary seafood cuisine. Homemade pasta specialties with seafood and excellent desserts.
Average price per person: € 50,00
Address and contacts: via Doria, 22 Get directions tel: (0039) 0941914141
- From Leone: simple and typically Sicilian cuisine in a friendly and nice environment. Beautiful location that offers a very suggestive panorama. excellent value for money
Average price per person: € 20,00
Address and contacts: SP150, 130 Get directions tel: (0039) 3287967965
What to do in the evening: the nightlife areas and the best clubs in Capo d'Orlando
It is not difficult to stay late at night if you are of the right age and the desire to be together. Capo D'Orlando is lively and bubbly, crowded with tourists and locals who in the summer, after a day at the beach, meet in many parts of the city to socialize. In the center also the shops remain open after dinner and there are many pubs and clubs that offer live music, especially on the coasts and in the Marina area. Very popular are the discos, which are still the most popular here and offer very varied evenings.
The best pubs, clubs and discos
- Coconut: disco famous throughout the area for the proposal of Techno and Garage music. Very popular and with selection at the entrance. Address: via Contrada San Filadelfio, snc (Get directions) - Facebook page
- XL Club: disco famous for the very successful themed parties and live concerts. Address: Via del Commercio, 12 (Get directions)
- 147 Club: summer club on the beach of San Gregorio, offers aperitifs and after dinner with music until late at night. Very popular with locals too. Address: SP147, 48 San Gregorio (Get directions) - Facebook page
Plan your stay in Capo d'Orlando: info and useful tips
- Palermo airport is about 160 km away (2 hours by car), Catania airport is 193 km away (about 2 hours and 15 minutes by car). For those arriving by sea, the reference port city is Messina, about 78 km away (1 hour and 10 by car).
- Getting around: surely the car is the best way to get around the whole area, but it is still possible to travel by bus by consulting the timetables on the municipal tourist site
- Where to park: if you are coming from the south, it is advisable to park in the Marina area. From the north, you may prefer the public parking in via Capuana.
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 55,00 per room -
- What to see in the surroundings: following the coast, Cefalù can be reached in just over 1 hour along the SP113 and will certainly be a pleasant destination for its beautiful beaches and crystal clear sea. Also not to be missed is the area of Tindari, where you can visit the complex archaeological area that extends over 27 hectares and includes a splendid Greek theater, the Baroque-style sanctuary and the nearby Marinello lakes of the La Oriented Nature Reserve. Tindari is just 40 minutes by car along the SS 113 towards the east.
Most Interesting Articles
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking