I travel they are a fabulous experience, why not share it with our four-legged friend? Let it be a dog or cat, a little companion in adventures can only make our holiday even more special! Unfortunately, however, it is not always possible to choose a practical means of transport such as the car; sometimes the only way to reach a certain destination is by plane. Here's everything you need to know about transport of animals by plane: the regulation, companies that accept animals on board and the cost of a plane ticket for a dog or a cat.
- Which airlines accept cats and dogs?
- Regulations for the international transport of pets
- Dimensions and weight of the pet carrier: In the hold or in the cabin?
- How much does it cost to take a dog or cat on the plane?
- User questions and comments
Which airlines accept cats and dogs?
Ryanair DOES NOT ALLOW ANIMALS ON BOARD, So Easyjet and most of low cost airlines.
One of the few inexpensive companies that allow small pets is Volotea, which only allows the transport of dogs or cats (pets). Below we list the main ones companies that transport animals on their own aircraft:
Regulations for the international transport of pets
To be able to transport in total safety it is necessary to follow a regulation specific that can vary significantly between one company and another.
On board the plane are not allowed:
- Animals that are pregnant or in heat;
- Puppies less than 3 months old.
Every animal must:
- Own a legible tattoo or a transponder;
- Be accompanied by adequate health documentation (European passport issued by the veterinarian), which provides the personal and identification data of the animal and which at the same time certifies the health conditions and the state of vaccinations;
- Be contained within a rigid carrier or a waterproof bag.
NB: In some countries such as the UK, Ireland, Malta and Switzerland, they apply prohibitions or restrictions on the introduction of animal species.
Dimensions and weight of the pet carrier: In the hold or in the cabin?
Your dog or cat will be able to travel in the cabin or in the hold according to your own weight.
Usually to be able to travel with your owner in cabin, the animal must have a weight less than 10 kg total (weight of container included). Also this parameter can vary according to the chosen company (for some the maximum limit allowed is 6 Kg).
Le standard dimensions of the pet carrier allowed in the cabin are: 46 x 25 x 31 cm.
If the weight exceeds i 6 / 10 Kg l'animal will be put in the hold.
NB: Animals whose weight exceeds 75 Kg, they can be transported only by cargo.
How much does it cost to take a dog or cat on the plane?
Of course, every little traveler must be equipped with regular ticket. This cannot be purchased online, rather you have to pay a lump sum at the airport or go to a travel agency to plan well in advance. The cost of a cat or dog flight ticket varies between 20 and € 70. Generally the travel in the hold costs more than traveling in the cabin.