Are you looking for a perfect destination for a weekend getaway in Italy? Tuscany is full of small villages and beautiful villages. One of these is Camaiore, a small town in the province of Lucca with a wonderful landscape that it goes from the Apuan Alps to the Tyrrhenian Sea, where the Lido di Camaiore is located. It is part of Versilia, place of fun and sea, famous throughout Italy.
But let's find out together everything you need to know about Camaiore: what to see, where to eat and what to do in the evening!
- 10 things to see in Camaiore in a weekend
- What to see in Camaiore in one day: recommended itinerary
- Where to eat in Camaiore: the best restaurants
- What to do in the evening: the nightlife areas and the best clubs in Camaiore
- Plan your stay in Camaiore: info and useful tips
- User questions and comments
10 things to see in Camaiore in a weekend
1 - Gate of St. Peter
Walking through the streets of Camaiore means taking a step back in time and discovering its medieval soul. In fact, in the distant 1374 Lucca decided to transform the city into a fortified castle and he had an imposing city wall built. The walls had 13 towers and 4 different city gates.
L'only door still standing is the Porta di San Pietro, also called Porta Lombricese, which is located at the intersection between via Tabarrani and via Sterni, in the historic center. Even the walls are now largely lost, the only part of the defensive structure left is a small stretch still near the door.
- it is located in the historic center, on the intersection between Via Tabarrani and Via Sterpi - Get directions
- always accessible
2 - Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Assunta
It is one of the main attractions, as well as the main place of worship. It is located right in the city center, it is a real landmark and also the perfect starting point to develop an itinerary to discover the historic center.
Built in 1278, it is in Romanesque style and inside it houses beautiful frescoes, such as the Coronation of the Virgin by Benedetto Brandimarte, painted on the dome, and the Communion of the Apostles by Piero Dandini. Outside the church is the imposing bell tower which was built later, in 1365.
- Via XX Settembre, 63; in the center, easily accessible from anywhere in the city - Get directions
- Monday to Friday 7: 30-18: 00, Saturday and Sunday 7: 30-19: 30
3 - Church of San Michele Arcangelo
From the Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Assunta, walk just 2 minutes along via IV Novembre and you will arrive at this little treasure located right in the center of the pedestrian area.
It is one of the oldest churches, dating back to 1180. Unfortunately it was badly damaged during the bombing of the Second World War, so what you will see today is largely a reconstruction.
- Piazza Armando Diaz, 210 meters from Collegiata di Santa Maria Assunta (2 min walk) - Get directions
- always accessible
4 - Museum of Sacred Art
In front of the church of San Michele Arcangelo is the Brotherhood of the Blessed Sacrament which houses this museum. It was established in 1936 with the aim of being a place of collection and storage of sacred objects, such as furnishings, paintings and sacred furnishings.
All the works exhibited in the museum, such as paintings, sculptures and sacred furnishings, they come directly from the territory of Camaiore and surroundings and are dated to a period ranging from the fourteenth to the eighteenth century. Among the most interesting works there are certainly a Flemish tapestry of 1615 depicting scenes from the Passion of Christ and the statue of the Virgin Annunciata by Matteo Civitali.
- Via IV Novembre, 71; in front of the Church of San Michele, easily reachable on foot from the Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Assunta - Get directions
- from 1 October to 31 May from Thursday to Saturday 15: 30-18: 00, from 1 June to 30 September Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday 16: 00-19: 30, Sunday visits by reservation only
5 - Archaeological Museum
Near the Church of San Michele Arcangelo there is another important museum, the Civic Archaeological Museum of Camaiore. The area where the city now stands has been inhabited for millennia, i first settlements date back to prehistoric times, and here you can retrace all this history.
The museum reopened in 2016 after a long period of refurbishment and is aimed at enhance the archaeological evidence of the area. The route develops through 13 rooms with finds ranging from Prehistory, through the Middle Ages and up to the Proto-industrial era.
- Palazzo Tori in Piazza Francigena; close to the Church of San Michele and the Museum of Sacred Art, within easy walking distance - Get directions
- from 1 May to 30 September from Tuesday to Friday 9: 00-12: 30 and Saturday and Sunday 10: 00-13: 00 and 17: 00-20: 00; from 1 October to 30 April from Tuesday to Friday 9: 00-12: 30 and Saturday and Sunday 10: 00-13: 00 and 15: 00-18: 00
- full € 4,00 - reduced € 2,00 - groups with more than 8 people € 3,00
6 - Abbey of San Pietro
It is located near the cemetery, about 10 minutes walk from the center, this very old church, which is mentioned in documents dated in 761. The current building, however, the one we can still see today, dates back to the th century, when it reached its maximum splendor.
Built by the Benedictine monks in the th century, the Abbey of San Pietro acquired importance as a result it is located on the Via Francigena, the famous historical route that from the north of Europe led to Rome. It was therefore a point of passage for the numerous pilgrims who went to the Eternal City.
- in via Badia; easily reachable on foot, it is located 550 meters from the Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Assunta (7 min walk) - Get directions
- always open
7 - Lido di Camaiore
And if you are here for the weekend you absolutely cannot miss the coastal part. Here you can enjoy a few hours of relaxation after visiting the city and its surroundings! Not only that, here nightlife is concentrated, with numerous clubs, beach clubs and discos!
You will find ample golden sandy beaches with shallow waters also perfect for families with children. Plus the waterfront is full of bathing establishments with all services, such as umbrella rental, cabins, toilets and bars and clubs, to make sure your customers do not miss anything.
- Via Fossa dell'Abate, on the seafront; 9,5 km from Camaiore, easily reachable in 15 minutes by car, by bus with the E2 or E27 line (28 min, € 2,00) or by taxi (average cost € 20,00) - Get directions
- always accessible; bathing establishments generally open 8: 00-19: 30
- free; services of the bathing establishments for a fee, for example umbrella + sun bed rental service from € 30,00 per day
8 - Candalla waterfall
But not only sea and history, you can also dedicate yourself to the splendid nature of the surroundings! Not very far from the city in fact, there is a beautiful hiking trail which will take you to the waterfall. If you are staying in the center, you can start the excursion on foot from there, as it is only 4,4 km from the historic center.
The waterfall is located in the valley of the Candalla stream, on the slopes of the mountains that surround the area. IS' a very simple journey, suitable for everyone and perfect for looking for a little cool during the hot summer days. Here is also one climbing wall, much loved by those who love this sport! Surely you can spend a different afternoon, in the beauty of nature.
- 4,4 km from the center of Camaiore; reachable on foot in 50 min or by car in 10 min; only on summer weekends there is a free shuttle service (hours 9: 30-14: 00 and 16: 00-18: 30) - Get directions
- always accessible
9 - Monteggiori
If you have a whole weekend at your disposal, then we recommend that you also dedicate a few hours to the wonderful surroundings of Camaiore. Just 4,5 km away is Monteggiori, which means small mountain, is a wonderful village. It is in fact located on a hill, at the base of Mount Gabberi, and from here you can enjoy a wonderful view of the whole area! You can reach it on foot with a walk of about an hour, or by bus E28.
Who time seems to have stopped and the best way to enjoy this atmosphere is to stroll through the narrow streets of the small historic center. Here the castle and the ancient church of Santo Stefano Protomartire stand out. Maybe stop for lunch in the restaurant of the town which enjoys a beautiful view thanks to the panoramic terrace.
- 4,5 km from Camaiore; reachable on foot (1 h), by car (10 min), by taxi (10 min, ride from € 10,00 to € 15,00) or by bus E28 (20 min, € 2,00 each way) - Get directions
- always accessible
10 - Greppolungo
It is another very characteristic village, about 5,5 km from Camaiore. The small village was (and is) in a strategic position, which allows you to see the sea on clear days, for this reason the castle of the Corvaia nobles was built here in the 1219th century, then passed in co-ownership to the nobles of Vallecchia in .
But that's not all: this is the ideal place for climbing lovers! If you love this sport you should definitely go here: the village is in fact located on a rocky spur and the whole area is full of climbing walls. However, they are not easy to reach for a person who goes here for the first time, we recommend that you rely on someone from the place or a guide.
- 5,5 km from Camaiore; reachable on foot (1 h), by car (10 min), by taxi (10 min, ride from € 14,00 to € 17,00) or by bus E33 (20 min, € 2,00 each way) - Get directions
- always accessible
What to see in Camaiore in one day: recommended itinerary
Start your morning with breakfast at Caffè Celero (€ 3,00), which is located in front of the first attraction of the day, the Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Assunta. Admire the splendid church and then walk along via IV Novembre to arrive at the Church of San Michele Arcangelo. Here you then visit the archaeological Museum, which will allow you to learn about the history of the area!
Then stroll through the historic center reaching the Abbey of San Pietro, one of the oldest churches in the city, in the past known for the Via Francigena.
Then return to the center and have lunch at Osteria Cicca (€ 30,00).
Then take the E2 or E27 bus from the Via Oberdan 10 stop (200 m from the restaurant) and get off at the stop in Piazza Matteotti in Lido di Camaiore (30 min, € 2,00). Here you will find yourself in maritime part of Camaiore. Relax on the long town beach and enjoy a few hours of sunshine and a swim in the crystal clear water. You can also enjoy an aperitif at sunset in one of the many kiosks on the seafront.
This is also the area where you are concentrates the nightlife in the evening! Enjoy one of the best pizzas in town at Pizzeria Flaminio (€ 10,00) and enjoy the rest of the evening!
One day itinerary at a glance
- Breakfast at Caffè Celero
- Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Assunta (7: 30-18: 00, Sat and Sun 7: 30-19: 30)
- Church of St. Michael the Archangel
- Archaeological Museum of Camaiore (from 1 May to 30 September 9: 00-12: 30 and Sat and Sun 10: 00-13: 00 and 17: 00-20: 00; from 1 October to 30 April 9: 00-12: 30: 10 and Sat and Sun 00: 13-00: 15 and 00: 18-00: 4,00, full price € 2,00 reduced € )
- Abbey of San Pietro
- Lunch at Osteria Cicca
- Lido di Camaiore: umbrella + sun bed from € 30,00
- Dinner at Pizzeria Flaminio
Where to eat in Camaiore: the best restaurants
- Salvia and Tremarino: in the historic center, open only in the evening; suitable for aperitifs and long apericina, with excellent cutting boards
Average price per person: € 30,00
Address and contacts: Piazza del Rivellino, 7 (Get directions) / tel: 3939638859
- Osteria Cicca: in the historic center, specialized in fish dishes
Average price per person: € 30,00
Address and contacts: Via Vittorio Emanuele, 50 (Get directions) / tel: 3286840979
- Pizzeria Flaminio: one of the best pizzerias in the area, Neapolitan pizza and fried pizza
Average price per person: € 10,00
Address and contacts: Viale Cristoforo Colombo, 136 (Get directions) / tel: 0584617030
What to do in the evening: the nightlife areas and the best clubs in Camaiore
All the nightlife is located in Lido di Camaiore, which is the coastal part of the city, where you will find the trendiest beaches and clubs, ideal for partying all night! You can easily reach this area with the bus lines E2 and E27.
The best clubs can be found both in the center and on the seafront and there are really all kinds of them: beach bars, lounge bars and beach clubs, for a simple aperitif at sunset or to stay up late with the numerous DJ sets or theme parties that are organized on weekends.
The best pubs, clubs and discos
- Mojito Bar: one of the most popular places, on the beach, great for aperitifs, organizes happy hours and evenings with DJ sets / Address: Viale Cristoforo Colombo, 257 (Get directions)
- Tucano Beach Club: one of the most famous and most exclusive nightclubs, organizes evenings with national and international artists and celebrities / Address: Viale Cristoforo Colombo, 666 (Get directions)
- Cosmopolitan: restaurant on the seafront, perfect for an aperitif, organizes numerous DJ sets and theme nights (one of the most famous is the Vanity evening) / Address: Viale Cristoforo Colombo, 16 (Get directions)
Plan your stay in Camaiore: info and useful tips
- by train to Lucca station and from there take the E15 bus to Camaiore (1 h). Given the central location, they recommend reaching it by car: from Milan 265 km (3 h), Venice 332 km (3 h 30 min), Rome 377 km (4 h 10 min)
- Getting around: in the center on foot, the attractions are all close together. For the Lido or nearby areas use the E2 or E27 bus (30 min, € 2,00). By taxi (average cost for one thing from € 15,00 to € 20,00)
- Where to park: there are three main car parks, in Piazzale Carignoni, in via Oberdan and in via dello Stadio. You will find free parking with white lines and paid parking with blue lines (€ 1,50 / hour or daily from € 6,00 to € 10,00 depending on the area)
- in small but characteristic b & bs, to better immerse yourself in the atmosphere of the area. Obviously there are also hotels and apartments, especially in the Lido di Camaiore area
Hotel and b & b starting from € 50,00 per room -
- What to see in the surroundings: Viareggio, Forte dei Marmi, Lecciona beach