Those who are planning a trip to Europe will probably think that travel insurance is not strictly necessary.
However, some eventualities should not be underestimated, so adequate insurance proves to be the best choice.
For example, from a medical point of view, thanks to health insurance card the treatment, for injuries or conditions of minor infirmity, are free, even if in some European countries for many visits it is necessary to pay a ticket (with different percentages), and in cases in which repatriation is necessary it is good to be covered by a insurance, which can cover the costs of a new return trip.
Lost or stolen luggage and the likelihood of the trip being canceled are other criteria that are worth considering when planning a trip to Europe.
- Allianz Global Assistance
- Frontier Travel Insurance
- Columbus Insurance
- Axa - Travel Insurance
- Price comparison
- Is travel insurance in Europe compulsory?
- Why do health insurance: risks and dangers
- How to choose travel insurance
- User questions and comments
You can take out travel insurance in Europe that covers medical expenses up to 1 million euros, with reimbursement for urgent dental expenses up to € 500,00, early return up to 2 thousand euros is possible baggage damage coverage in case of theft, fire or assault, or caused by the carrier, up to € 1,000.
Also you can download an app to receive 24 hour telephone assistance.
Each policy also includes the possibility of adding the Deductible (obtaining a discount of € 7,00).
There are three policies:
- Travel Tranquility: it is the basic policy, with which you can enjoy telephone advice 24 hours a day, medical expenses coverage up to € 1 million, dental expenses coverage up to € 150,00, early return up to € 1,000.
- Travel Top: in addition to 24-hour telephone consultation, medical expenses coverage up to € 1 million, dental expenses coverage up to € 300,00, early return up to € 1,500, the policy also guarantees coverage for damage or loss of luggage, up to € 500 .
- Premium travel: it is the most complete policy, which provides 24-hour telephone assistance, medical expenses coverage up to € 1 million, dental expenses coverage up to € 500,00, early return up to € 2,000, coverage for damage or loss of luggage up to for € 1,000 and trip cancellation, which includes 11 causes, up to € 1,500.
Allianz Global Assistance
All the policies offered by this agency include thehealth care h24, possibility of a have a interpret and direct payment at medical expenses. In more complex cases, where necessary, the insurance also provides for the return to Italy.
In addition, it is possible to add other coverage, such as the one on the theft of baggage, compensation in the event of any flight delays and for damage to smartphones, tablets or cameras. The policies include:
- Travel Care: is the insurance suitable for travel up to 45 days, which guarantees 24-hour telephone assistance, direct payment of medical expenses up to € 150,000 and repatriation. Additional optional guarantees concern baggage, flight delay, stay extension, coverage on multimedia devices and Civil Liability
- Annual Travel Care: designed for frequent travelers with an annual and operational duration up to 35 consecutive days. It includes 24-hour telephone assistance, direct payment of medical expenses up to € 300,000, immediate repatriation and home and family assistance at home. Additional optional warranties cover baggage, Third Party Liability, missed or delayed departure, coverage on multimedia devices and travel accident.
- Travel Student: designed for students under 30 traveling for study purposes, the insurance provides two different solutions: Single Trip and Multi Trip, Both guarantee the direct payment of medical expenses with a customizable ceiling and offer the Civil Liability guarantee. Optional additional warranties on baggage and multimedia devices.
- Travel Business: the insurance valid all year round, ideal for business trips and which provides 24-hour telephone assistance, medical expenses coverage up to € 100,000 and flight accident up to € 500,000. Additional optional guarantees include baggage, flight delay, extended stay, home and family assistance at home and coverage on multimedia devices.
Frontier Travel Insurance
This Italian insurance company is specialized in the travel sector. All the policies offered include travel assistance, coverage of medical expenses in Europe up to 1 million euros, direct payment for hospitalization, emergency repatriation, telephone assistance in Italian and then it is possible to add reimbursement in case of baggage theft and in case of trip cancellation up to € 2,000. Find various solutions, including thesingle trip insurance thereHoneymoon insurance, Business / Business travel insurance o Study trip all can be chosen in 3 different formulas:
- Base: medical expenses up to 1 million euros, repatriation, 24-hour telephone assistance and assistance at home.
- Smart: which adds up to € 1 million to the previous medical expenses and luggage coverage of up to € 1,500.
- Top: All Inclusive formula, which adds to the previous one the cancellation and the interruption of travel up to € 2,000, accidents up to 1 million euros and the delay of departure up to € 100,00.
Travel insurance from this agency includes cover for medical expenses unlimited, the24 hour telephone assistance, early return, in addition it is possible to add the theft of baggage andtrip cancellation up to € 2,000 and the legal fees up to € 10,000.
There are insurances designed for those traveling alone, for couples, for groups and include unlimited medical expenses, 24-hour telephone assistance, repatriation. It is possible to choose between 3 different options:
- Help: coverage for medical expenses only
- Assistance / Baggage: which includes medical expenses and damage and loss of baggage and Civil Liability
- Assistance / Baggage / Cancellation: the most complete, All Inclusive formula
Axa - Travel Insurance
Guarantees a24 hour telephone assistance, any medical advice telephone, direct payment for medical expenses up to 3 million euros, the reimbursement fortrip cancellation, the possibility of coverage for the loss of baggage up to € 1,000 and legal assistance abroad.
- Basic Protection: ideal for short trips in Europe, it is the low cost insurance that includes telephone assistance 24 hours a day, reimbursement of medical expenses with direct payment up to € 100 and optional travel reimbursement in case of cancellation for serious reasons.
- Medium Protection: Recommended for travel to countries with high medical expenses, guarantees reimbursement of medical expenses up to € 500,000, reimbursement on loss and damage to luggage up to € 750,00 and health care for relatives at home. Travel refund in case of cancellation is optional.
- Total Screen: valid for up to 100 days, suitable for travelers traveling anywhere in the world, it is the All Inclusive insurance, with reimbursement of medical expenses up to 3 million euros, third party liability insurance included (up to € 150,000), insurance luggage (up to € 1,000), travel and / or flight accident coverage (up to € 100,000), assistance to relatives left at home.
Below is a comparative table of prices for the stipulation of travel policies.
NB: Prices are intended for an adult basic policy without previous illnesses
Is travel insurance in Europe compulsory?
Travel insurance for Europe is not mandatory, but it is recommended. Especially if you intend to make rather long trips, which involve several trips by land by car or public transport.
Why do health insurance: risks and dangers
The Health Card, which all Italian citizens are equipped with, guarantees free treatment in all European countries, however it does not cover some more serious cases, such as those where early return and rescue is required.
In addition, medical examinations may be heavily taxed in some countries.
- Dangers of food poisoning
- Danger of theft and pickpocketing
- Danger of terrorist attacks (in all European countries the authorities have intensified checks, especially in large capitals and in areas deemed at risk, such as airports and train and subway stations)
- Danger of accidents
How to choose travel insurance
To choose adequate travel insurance in Europe it is best to keep some criteria in mind, such as direct payment of medical expenses (in some cases there is a refund), coverage for the early return trip in the event of an accident / illness and coverage on loss or damage to baggage.
- Direct payment of medical expenses
- Cover theft, loss or damage to luggage
- Expenses coverage for early return
- Liability coverage (expenses or compensation in the event of damage to third parties)
- Presence or not of compensation Delays: delays in the departure and / or arrival of means of transport, and / or loss of means
- Presence of any reimbursement for unused holidays
- Compensation for the rescue of people