The summer is now upon us and with it the classic, bittersweet question: where to go on vacation? Enjoying a period of relaxation by the sea, in the mountains or admiring a lake is not always easy. One of the main dilemmas for Italian families and not only is linked to the possibility of being able to stay in a splendid Italian destination without necessarily having to spend a capital.
It is the web that helps us and, in particular, the Holidu portal. It is a simple, intuitive and complete search engine, which provides the user with the possibility to compare prices and dates of over eight million holiday homes in Italy and beyond by drawing on the data of the most important booking platforms.
The young startup (Holidu was established in 2014) conducted an important study whose data, collected last January, provide us an ideal map of the must see places of our beautiful country in the summer at a more than favorable price, taking into account the low and high season, region by region. The indicative weeks taken into consideration range from 4 to 11 August 2018 (high season) and from 15 to 22 September 2018 (low season). The median price of the research was taken into consideration by calculating the cost per night, for a family of 4 people on average.
See the study results in Holidu's infographics: Italian regions price map - price chart by region
- Sant'Antioco, Sardinia
- Pesaro - Urbino, Marche
- Naples, Campania
- Lignano Sabbiadoro, Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Tropea, Calabria
- Vieste, Puglia
- Termoli, Molise
- Trasimeno lake, Umbria
- Val Pusteria, Trentino Alto Adige
- Cilento, Campania
- User questions and comments
1 - Sant'Antioco, Sardinia
Main municipality of the homonymous island, Sant'Antioco is a real Sardinian gem. It stands on the remains of the ancient city of Sulki and offers the tourist dream sea views and archaeological attractions worthy of note. It is one of the cheapest Sardinian destinations, even in high season.
- the location relatively closest to Sant'Antioco is Cagliari, which is about 90 km from the town. It is possible to reach the town from Cagliari either by plane or by ferry, then moving by car (Get directions)
- What to do in the surroundings: in addition to the numerous beaches offered by the localities, among the cleanest in Italy, it is possible to book boat trips with a complete tour of the island and a visit to the coves that cannot be reached by car. It is also possible to visit the main archaeological sites of the city, the Basilica of Sant'Antioco Martire and the military architecture of the city: Torre Canai and Su Bisu, the Savoy fort.
2 - Pesaro - Urbino, Marche
The Marche province of Pesaro - Urbino represents the perfect combination of sea and mountains. In addition to an almost perfect geographical location (it borders Emilia-Romagna, San Marino, Umbria and Tuscany), the province offers UNESCO World Heritage attractions and is a convenient destination both in high and low season.
- the province can be reached from Rimini Airport in about 70-90 minutes (average distance of about 80 km); Pesaro - Urbino is about an hour's drive from the Marche Airport (85 km) and almost three hours from the Bolognese airport (211 km) (Get directions)
- What to do in the surroundings: the historic center of Urbino is a UNESCO World Heritage Site: impossible not to see it. There are numerous religious buildings to visit (such as the Duomo of Pesaro and that of Urbino), castles (such as Rocca Torrione, in Cagli), theaters and museums. A special focus on beaches and protected natural areas, such as the Sasso Simone and Simoncello Natural Park
3 - Naples, Campania
The Campania capital, the cradle of Italian culture and folklore, an achievable and "feasible" destination even in high season, could not be part of this exclusive top ten. Naples has nothing to envy to the main European capitals and is one of the most attractive summer destinations even for foreign tourists.
- the Neapolitan port is about 2 km from the city center, accessible by car or on foot. There are three airports closest to the city: Naples International Airport, located about 4 km from the center, which can be reached in 20 minutes by car; Caserta - Grazzanise Airport, 40 km from Naples, which can be reached in 45 minutes; Salerno - Costa d'Amalfi Airport, located about 75 km from the Campania capital, which can be traveled in just over an hour by car and in about 2 hours by public transport (Get directions)
- What to do in the surroundings: beaches, culture, entertainment. Nothing is missing in the Neapolitan city, whose historic center has been recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Somma - Vesuvius volcanic apparatus has been declared a World Biosphere Reserve. Do not miss the opportunity to visit the famous archaeological excavations of Pompeii and Herculaneum
4 - Lignano Sabbiadoro, Friuli-Venezia Giulia
It is one of the Blue Flags of our beautiful country the dreamy beach of Lignano Sabbiadoro, the jewel in the crown of Friuli - Venezia Giulia, accessible to any wallet especially in the low season.
- Lignano Sabbiadoro is about 62 km from the Friuli - Venezia Giulia Airport, which can be traveled by car in about an hour. From the Venetian port, it is possible to reach the beach of Lignano in about an hour and a half (90 km). (Get directions)
- What to do in the surroundings: the password once you reach Lignano is: beach! Enjoy a summer in the sun, immersing yourself in the crystal clear waters of the Adriatic! Alternatively, you can visit the city center and indulge in purely summer sports and nautical activities
5 - Tropea, Calabria
It is one of the top Calabrian municipalities of the summer and not only the beautiful Tropea, in the province of Vibo Valentia, a cool destination even in low season, thanks to the more than affordable prices. The town is divided into the upper part, built on a rock overlooking the sea, and the lower part, the marine one.
- Tropea has its own port, which is about a kilometer and a half from the center, which can be traveled by car or on foot in a relatively short time. The closest airport to the maritime city is Lamezia Terme, about 57 km away, which can be traveled in as many minutes (Get directions)
- What to do in the surroundings: Tropea boasts some high quality neighboring seaside resorts, such as Parghelia, Ricadi, Zambrone and Capo Vaticano), all worthy of a rather prolonged stop. Numerous events organized in central Tropea, some related to the famous red onion, which received the IGP mark. Among the noteworthy monuments, there is undoubtedly the Palazzo Giffone
6 - Vieste, Puglia
Puglia is not only Salento. The proof of this is Vieste, a pearl in the province of Foggia, which is part of the area of Gargano National Park whose beaches have been awarded the infamous Blue Flag. Unlike other suggestive Apulian destinations, Vieste is an economically accessible location, especially during the low season.
- the port of Vieste is just 600 meters from the center. From Foggia Gino Lisa Airport the town can be reached in about two hours by car: there are about 120 kilometers that separate the Foggia airport from the town in the Gargano (Get directions)
- What to do in the surroundings: Vieste offers numerous attractions to admire with your mouth open: the Castle, the Co-Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta and the famous Pizzomunno, a 25-meter high limestone monolith located at the beginning of the Castle beach, around which various legends revolve
7 - Termoli, Molise
According to the statistics of the Holidu portal Molise is one of the most attractive Italian regions not only from an economic point of view, but also from a cultural and leisure point of view for summer. Among the most evocative destinations of this beautiful region we cannot fail to include Termoli, a town that extends along the coast and whose ancient fishing village stands on a promontory.
- the port of Termoli is about 1 km from the center. Molise does not have an airport; one of the airports relatively closest to Termoli is that of Pescara, about 110 km from the Molise center, which can be traveled in an hour and a quarter by car and two and a half hours by bus + train (Get directions)
- What to do in the surroundings: in addition to the splendid sea, Termoli is a mine of historical and religious attractions not bad. Among these, we include: the Swabian Castle, symbol of the city; the Cathedral of Santa Maria della Purificazione; the Torre del Sinarca, located near the stream of the same name
8 - Lake Trasimeno, Umbria
Trasimeno is the fourth Italian lake by extension, located in the province of Perugia. Its shallow depth classifies it as a laminar freshwater mirror and is an ideal location for lovers of alternative holidays to the classic beach both in high and low season.
- the International Airport of Umbria (Perugia) is just 56 km from Lake Trasimeno, a distance that can be covered in about 50 minutes by car
- What to do in the surroundings: with an enviable flora and fauna, Lake Trasimeno is famous for the presence of three islands: Polvese, Maggiore and Minore. There are numerous localities that overlook the large lake, including: Sant'Arcangelo, San Savino and Castiglione del Lago
9 - Val Pusteria, Trentino Alto Adige
Appetizing even in August, both from an economic point of view and for the attractions it offers, Trentino - Alto Adige is the favorite region for lovers of the mountains and trekking in the midst of unspoiled nature. There is no shortage of the most "profane" forms of entertainment even in Val Pusteria, one of the most fascinating naturalistic mountain areas in our country.
- Val Pusteria is easily reachable from Bolzano Airport in about 90 minutes by car (about 120 km). It takes about 2 and a half hours to get to the mountain area from Venice (Marco Polo Airport, about 180 km away). Another relatively close airport is Treviso Sant'Angelo (173 km, 2 hours and 40 minutes) (Get directions)
- What to do in the surroundings: Val Pusteria is known for the presence of three Natural Parks: Sesto Dolomites, Fanes - Sennes and Braies and Vedrette di Ries-Aurina. There are also places equipped with the most modern tourist accommodation facilities, among which Dobbiaco and Brunico stand out
10 - Cilento, Campania
Ideal set of cinematographic films, the vast area of Cilento, in the province of Salerno, is acquiring an increasingly predominant tourist importance, thanks to its naturalistic beauties, its crystalline sea, the numerous attractions offered, all at a more than accessible price. in high as in low season.
- the airport closest to the Cilento area is Naples Capodichino, about 2 hours from the Cilento National Park (about 120 km). Alternatively, there is a service called Metrò del Mare (see prices and timetables), which connects the main coastal towns of Cilento (Get directions)
- What to do in the surroundings: in addition to the suggestive National Park, Cilento is made up of numerous, noteworthy small towns. The most famous is undoubtedly Castellabate, location of films such as "Welcome to the South"; Agropoli, Sala Consilina and Sapri are also worth visiting
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking