Nicknamed by the Greeks "Ericusa" for the presence of the Erica plant which grows mightily in this area, Alicudi is the westernmost of the Aeolian Islands, as well as being one of the islands of the archipelago where time seems to have stopped.
There are no cars here and you move strictly on foot walking along the mule tracks that from the port branch off all over the island until you reach the highest peak.
Un terrestrial corner permeated by silence where you can spend an entire holiday or even just a few days between nature and the sea to relax.
- Where it is
- How to get to Aliudi and how to get around
- When to go? Info on climate and best time
- 10 things to see: beaches and places of interest
- Where to eat in Alicudi: the best restaurants
- Nightlife: what to do in the evening in Alicudi
- How much does a holiday in Alicudi cost? Prices, offers and advice
- User questions and comments
Where it is
Alicudi is located in the westernmost part of the Archipelago, west of Lipari from which it is about 63 km (34 nautical miles) and is washed by the Tyrrhenian Sea.
It too of volcanic origin, is characterized by rugged coasts and inhabited only on the southern side where there is also the docking port.
How to get to Aliudi and how to get around
- By sea: every day ferries and hydrofoils of Liberty Lines Fast Ferries depart from the port of Milazzo (€ 32,70 about 2h and 50 min) and from the port of Messina (€ 23,00, 1h and 55 min)
- By plane: Catania airport is the closest (255 km), this connects to the ports of Milazzo and Messina via Sais bus (about 1h and 35 min, € 8,70).
- How to move in Alicudi: it is explored only and exclusively on foot, but to reach some coves and beaches it is possible to take a small boat
When to go? Info on climate and best time
- Weather: Mediterranean with mild winters and temperatures around 10 °. Summers, on the other hand, are hot and sunny, the heat is often tempered by the sea breeze and temperatures are around 28 ° on average.
- Best time: from May to October when the days are sunny and warm; for those who want to enjoy the sea the most suitable months are from July to September
- Period to avoid: from November to March because it is easy to have rainy days and bad weather
- Advice: pack light and beach clothes for the summer; in the mid-seasons a windbreaker, sweatshirt and sweater. It is important to have sneakers as you can only move on foot
10 things to see: beaches and places of interest
- Contrada Tonna, the small agglomeration of houses that allows you to discover the typical architecture of the island with steps, dry stone walls and various cultivated lands.
- Contrada San Bartolo, 300 meters above sea level, once an inhabited center, today houses only the homonymous church dating back to 1821, built on the remains of a seventeenth-century sacristy and considered the only historical monument on the island.
- Contrada of Sgurbio made up of only 5 houses known for taking their name from the 5 senses. It is an almost completely isolated area, which can be easily reached by boat or on foot through a long and winding path by land.
- Contrada Pianicello, west of San Bortolo, it is inhabited by a population of German mother tongue but here there is neither running water nor electricity.
- Alicudi Mare it is located between the pier where hydrofoils and ferries dock, the old pier and the rock arch called Perciato. This is the area where there are the only 2 grocery stores on the island, a bar, a boutique, the only hotel, the post office and the power plant.
- Church of Carmine, in a panoramic position, it has a particularity because the bell tower is separated from the central body of the building.
- Alicudi Porto beach, near the only inhabited center is characterized by gray pebbles and a crystalline and limpid sea
- The Bazzina beach it is located on the east coast of the island and is a beautiful cove of pebbles, not very large, bathed by clear and turquoise waters.
- Timpone of Females, a fort carved into the rock where once women hid during enemy attacks to avoid being kidnapped.
- The Thread of the Harp it is the upper part of an imposing marine volcano extinct at 675 meters high, to be reached during a nice excursion through the path that starts from the port of Alicudi and climbs along ancient houses, abandoned terraces and wonderful views.
Where to eat in Alicudi: the best restaurants
Alicudi being very small has few accommodations and there are only three restaurants on the island. Sometimes it is also possible to eat at the fishermen's house who with a slight notice prepare excellent traditional dishes.
- Ericusa: in a beautiful position overlooking the sea, the restaurant offers mainly fish cuisine of the day.
Average price per person: € 25,00
Address and contacts: Via Perciato, 98050 Lipari - Alicudi, ME Get directions / tel: 328 749 5992
- Lea's Club: meeting place for islanders and tourists, this restaurant with a panoramic terrace serves seafood and garden products.
Average price per person: € 25,00
Address and contacts: Via Roma, Alicudi, ME Get directions
/ tel: 099889687
- Bar l'Airone: bar restaurant close to the sea serving typical traditional dishes: try the octopus salad and roast squid.
Average price per person: € 38,00
Address and contacts: Via ME IT, 98055 Perciato Alicudi Get directions / tel: 090 988 9808
Nightlife: what to do in the evening in Alicudi
In Alicudi there are no bars, trendy clubs or discos therefore those in search of nightlife have made the wrong island. People come here to relax and experience nature and if you want to have a beer or a glass of wine for an aperitif or after dinner, the only places are the three restaurants mentioned above.
How much does a holiday in Alicudi cost? Prices, offers and advice
Since in Alicudi the accommodation facilities are very few (3-4 at most, plus some holiday homes), the prices are obviously a little higher than those of Lipari or Salina, where there is more competition.
In high season the price for a room with half board is around € 100,00, while the rent of a house for two people is around € 70,00 per day.
As for the meals at the restaurant, consider on average a cost per person of € 25,00 for a dinner.
As for ferries, the price changes as availability decreases, therefore, it is advisable to book quickly.
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 72,00 per room -
- to Catania from € 46,00 -