There are precise and organized travelers, who weigh their luggage by the gram before leaving to avoid penalties and who show up at the airport at least two hours in advance to be sure not to miss the flight; then there are the easygoing travelers, those who arrive half an hour before boarding and who risk being left on the ground twice out of three. Unfortunately, however, whether it belongs to one or the other category, everyone can happen to come across unpleasant unexpected events or frustrating disservices.
A great classic is the flight delay: the most uncomfortable and typical of the annoyances. Alitalia, Sundial, Easyjet, Ryanair o Windjet: when fate rages there is little to do, regardless of which airline is chosen for the trip.
As long as it comes to a few tens of minutes everything is ok, but what does a prolonged flight delay?
At best, such a disruption causes stress and fatigue, but can sometimes jeopardize a vacation or even cause serious damage (just think of managers and business men who travel for work). But what are the passenger rights in case of flight delay? It's possible request a refund of the ticket or compensation for damages? Here's everything you need for initiate the claim.
- Passenger rights in case of flight delay
- How to get a refund
- User questions and comments
Passenger rights in case of flight delay
NB: it is not possible to initiate a refund procedure in the event of flight delay of 2 hours or less.
The Passenger Rights Charter is the document ofENAC, National Agency for Civil Aviation, which collects useful information for travelers. Within it are specified the regulations for the request for compensation for flight delay, possible on the occurrence of certain conditions:
- Delay of more than 3 hours for Community flights with routes exceeding 1500 km;
- Delay of more than 3 hours for international flights with routes between 1500 and 3500 km;
- Delay of more than 4 hours for international flights with routes exceeding 3500 km.
How to get a refund
The right to compensation can be exercised by completing a specific flight delay refund form. L'amount of damages for denied boarding, flight cancellation and long delay varies between 250 and € 600 depending on the route.
Il deadline for submitting the request varies according to the nationality of the arrival airport:
- Within 3 years from the date of the flight, for domestic flights
- Within 6 years from the date of the flight, for international flights to EU countries
Refund form and procedure
- Download and fill out this form
- Send a fax to the company with: a letter of refund request, European module attached, copy of boarding pass and copy of identity document.
- In case of no response or negative answer, urges ENAC, or the corresponding body in the event that the delay occurred outside Italy
- In case of compensation not granted without justified reasons, do request to the Justice of the Peace of the corresponding city.
NB: For who wants save time, it is possible to rely on portals such as noproblemflights.it, flightright.it, ritapartenza.it, which offer services for the management of compensation procedures for delays, cancellations and overbooking.