When one thinks of Morocco, cities like Marrakech, Casablanca and Chefchaouen, also called the blue city, immediately come to mind. But this country has lots of little pearls to offerIt is not only Marrakech and desert excursions, but also features beautiful coastal locations, such as Agadir. Overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and an important port of Morocco, this city is part of the association "Most beautiful bays in the world". The city is in fact renowned for its crescent-shaped beach, but also for the promenade full of bars and restaurants and the many golf courses!
Have we intrigued you? Here then all information about Agadir, Morocco: where it is, when to go and what to see.
- Travel informed: useful information
- Where it is
- When to go? Info on climate and best time
- 10 things to see in and around Agadir
- What to do in Agadir: excursions and tours
- How much does it cost to visit Agadir? Prices, offers and advice
- User questions and comments
Travel informed: useful information
- Inhabitants: 421.844
- Language: Arabic and Amazigh, French spread
- Local currency: Moroccan Dirham (MAD) / € 1,00 = MAD 10,66
- Weather: temperate along the coasts due to the influence of the Atlantic Ocean, with breezy summers and mild winters. In the center of the country, on the other hand, very hot summers (even 40 °) and mild winters. In the desert strong daily temperature range
- Time zone: GMT + 1 (-1h compared to Italy, -2h when summer time is in force in Italy)
- Entry requirements: passport with residual validity of at least 6 months; no visa required for tourist stays of less than three months; once you arrive at the airport, fill in the appropriate coupon provided with the traveler's data and the reasons for the trip, to be shown during the checks
- Safety info: visit the Morocco section on the Farnesina website
- Closest airports: Agadir-Al Massira Airport in Agadir (25 km from the city center); Marrakech-Menara International Airport in Marrakech (258 km)
- Travel / health insurance: recommended.
Where it is
Agadir is the capital of the province of Agadir-Ida Ou Taname and is located in the northern part of Morocco, at the foot of the Anti Atlas mountain range. Overlooks the Atlantic Ocean, which mitigates the climate, making it an ideal destination also for the summer (lower and more pleasant temperatures than those of Marrakech and the interior of the country). It is 258 km from Marrakech and 175 km from Essaouira.
How to reach us
- From the main European capitals: recommended reference to the airport of Marrakech, with return tickets starting from € 60,00 (flight duration from 3h upwards depending on the point of departure)
When to go? Info on climate and best time
- Weather: oceanic, which is influenced by the Atlantic Ocean. Mild and windy summers, with some hot days in July and August, and mild winters. Precipitation non-existent in the summer months, mainly concentrated in the winter period
- Best time: for beach life from July to mid-October (in June the sea is still a bit cool, 18 °). For the city and the surrounding excursions from April to November
- Period to avoid: none in particular, because even in winter the maximums are around 20 °, but the nights can be very cold due to the temperature range
- Advice: a sweatshirt or something warm, as even in summer in the evening the temperature can drop considerably due to the temperature range; bring light and breathable clothing, swimsuit, sun cream and sunglasses
10 things to see in and around Agadir
- Agadir Beach, number one attraction of the city, with its 10 km. With its waves it is perfect for surfers and kite surfers, but also excellent for relaxing and enjoying the sun
- Agadir Oufella, the old part of the city, which was destroyed during the 1960 earthquake. Today only the walls remain, but from the top of this hill you can enjoy a wonderful view of the city and the ocean
- Memory Agadir Museum, museum dedicated to the 1960 earthquake where a large part of the city was destroyed and where many people lost their lives
- Jardin d'Olhao, wonderful Berber-style garden in the heart of the city, with an area for children, small places to relax and a gallery where works by local artists are exhibited
- Agadir Birds Valley, a landscaped zoological park located near Agadir beach. With free admission, there are a large aviary, fountains, a small zoo and several play areas. Perfect if you are traveling as a family with children
- Agadir souk, a characteristic market with about 6.000 small shops of different sizes that sell everything from spices to souvenirs, from fabrics and fabrics to household items, to devote a few hours to it
- Ancienne Talborjt, an ancient district of Agadir, which was heavily damaged by the earthquake. Here you will find the Mohamed V Mosque (which can only be visited from the outside if you are not a Muslim) and many local craft shops.
- Port de pêche, the port of the city, one of the most important in Morocco. From here you can set out to discover the city and stroll along the Corniche La Côte, the beautiful promenade
- Imouzzer, characteristic village completely surrounded by nature 55 km from Agadir. Area famous for the production of the month and for the beautiful waterfalls of the same name, with water only during the rainy season
- beaches outside the center of Agadir, remained unspoiled and quiet, in some you can find surf schools. Among these are the beaches of Aghround, Aourir, Banana Beach and that of Tifnit
What to do in Agadir: excursions and tours
How much does it cost to visit Agadir? Prices, offers and advice
Agadir, like the rest of Morocco, is one destination within everyone's reach, with not excessive prices which therefore allows you to organize a low cost trip.
There are no direct flights to the city, so your best bet is to arrive first in Marrakech, connected to Italy with direct low cost flights. From there you can move to Agadir with the different buses that connect the two cities (average duration 3 h 30 min, ticket from € 7,00 to € 12,00, departures every hour). As for accommodation, you can find excellent solutions that cost an average of € 30,00 per night per room. Being one suitable destination for surfers, there are also many hostels starting from € 15,00 per night near the beach and surf schools.
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 30,00 per room -
- to Marrakech from € 70,00 -
- Return flight + 7 days / 6 nights from € 320,00 per person -