Declared a Unesco heritage site in 2002, the archipelago of the Aeolian islands every year attracts many tourists who come here to enjoy its enchanted landscapes and wonderful sea.
The name derives from Aeolus, the god of the winds, who according to legend unleashed his ire against Odysseus making him lose his way to Ithaca.
Places not only beautiful from an aesthetic point of view but also fertile areas where famous excellences are produced all over the world such as Malvasia wine of Lipari and Salina capers.
From spring to autumn any time is good to visit the islands, but certainly summer is the ideal season to also enjoy the splendid sea that surrounds them by dedicating themselves to bathing, diving and snorkeling.
Here is some information on the Aeolian Islands, Sicily: where they are, what they are and what to see!
- Where are
- When to go? Info on climate and best time
- Which island to go to?
- What to see: activities, beaches and places of interest
- What to do in the Aeolian Islands: excursions and tours
- How much does a holiday in the Aeolian Islands cost? Prices, offers and advice
- User questions and comments
The Aeolian archipelago, made up of 7 islands, is located off the coast of northern Sicily, facing the Tyrrhenian coast of Messina and can also be seen from the southern part of Calabria. Of volcanic origin, they are bathed by the Tyrrhenian Sea and are 12 nautical miles from Capo Milazzo.
How to reach us
The Aeolian Islands are easily reachable by sea from Naples, Reggio Calabria, Palermo and of course Milazzo, whose port is the closest and most convenient embarkation point.
The islands do not have their own airport, the reference airport is in fact theCatania Airport. From the latter it connects to the Port of Milazzo by bus (€ 15,00, about 2 hours).
When to go? Info on climate and best time
- Weather: Mediterranean, mild winters and hot and sunny summers, the heat is often tempered by the sea breeze and temperatures are around 28 ° on average
- Best time: from May to October when the days are sunny and warm; for those who want to enjoy the sea the most suitable months are from July to September.
- Period to avoid: from November to March because it is easy to have rainy days and bad weather
- Clothing: light and beach clothing in summer, rock and non-slip shoes; in the mid-seasons a windbreaker, sweatshirt and sweater. Backpack for hiking, hiking shoes if you intend to hike on the peaks of volcanoes
Which island to go to?
The Aeolian Archipelago is made up of 7 main islands arranged in the shape of a lying Y with the shaft facing West.
The islands are: Lipari (the largest), Salina, Vulcano, Stromboli, Flicudi, Alicudi and Panarea (the smallest, but also the one with the most nightlife); also there are several islets and rocks that emerge from the sea and can be visited with daily boat trips.
Indeed each island has its own particularity and they all deserve to be seen, but we indicate three that have different characteristics and meet different needs.
- Lipari: the largest of the Aeolian Islands is also the one with the greatest tourist services and accommodation facilities. Ideal for those who want to experience the sea and the beaches but at the same time want to take a journey into the Aeolian history and culture.
- Volcano: phenomena of volcanic origin such as terrestrial and submarine steam jets, fumaroles and sulphurous muds that have appreciated properties can often be observed. In addition to being able to make various excursions and trekking, you can discover black sand beaches and crystalline sea corners ideal for diving.
- Panarea: the smallest of the Aeolian Islands, but at the same time the most active island in terms of nightlife. Particularly suitable for young people.
What to see: activities, beaches and places of interest
- Stromboli volcano, located on the island of the same name, allows you to go hiking and climbing during which you will be conquered by the spectacle of nature, colors, scents and sounds.
- Fumaroles of the crater of Vulcano, on the homonymous island, offer a spectacle of Dante and a wonderful view of all the Aeolian Islands.
- Calajunco bay in Panarea, enclosed between rocky walls and bathed by a sea of a thousand shades. You can reach it by boat or on foot by walking along a path.
- Archaeological Museum of Lipari to discover the history of the Aeolian Islands. It is located in the acropolis of the island, a fortified fortress where many populations lived.
- Daily excursion to Filicudi, one of the smallest of the Aeolian Islands, with a boat trip you can dive near the La Canna stack and swim in the Bue Marino cave.
- Location of Pollara, the famous beach that was the set for the film "Il Postino", to be admired at sunset when the colors offer breathtaking scenery.
- White houses of Alicudi, small houses as large as 5 sq km, offer wonderful views where time seems to have stopped.
- Mud on the island of Vulcano, sprinkle yourself with beneficial mud and then dive into the sea to rinse off in the warm waters offers a priceless sensation
- Culinary experience in Salina, enjoy a good glass of Malvasia and the dishes based on Nocella and Spinoso capers, typical of this place.
- Spend an evening in the fashionable Panarea, which despite being the smallest of the Aeolian Islands, offers aperitifs and parties until dawn.
What to do in the Aeolian Islands: excursions and tours
How much does a holiday in the Aeolian Islands cost? Prices, offers and advice
When planning a holiday in the Aeolian Islands you must take into consideration that costs vary from island to island. Lipari and Salina, being the ones with the greatest tourist offer, are also the islands where you can find structures of all prices (in high season prices range from around € 35,00 per person up to € 200,00).
Panarea is the most expensive destination in terms of accommodation which in high season can even reach € 300,00 per day per person.
In order not to spend too much, consider that the cost of hydrofoils and ferries also increases as seats fill up, therefore it is always good to book well in advance.
As for the catering offer, keep in mind that there are places for all budgets and needs, but the way to contain costs is to rent an apartment with kitchen.
Finally, an expense to be calculated is that for excursions by boat to reach hidden coves and wonderful places, but also tours to reach the peaks of volcanoes with expert guides.
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 35,00 per room -
- starting from € 46,00 -