> This splendid Sicilian town has become famous thanks to "I Malavoglia", the best known novel by Giovanni Verga.
Ma the landscape is the real protagonist. A few meters from the shore stand majestically, in the middle of the sea, the stacks, mighty rocks of volcanic origin.
While, right in front of the characteristic port of Aci Trezza, to control the continuous coming and going of fishing boats, stands theLachea Island which, together with the stacks, forms the so-called Archipelago of the Cyclops.
It's a land rich in flavors. An event of primary importance from a gastronomic point of view is certainly the Swordfish Festival, organized every year in July.
Here's a little one drive on Aci Trezza: what to see, where to eat and what to do in the evening!
- 10 things to see in Aci Trezza in a weekend
- What to see in Aci Trezza in one day: recommended itinerary
- Where to eat in Aci Trezza: the best restaurants
- What to do in the evening: the nightlife areas and the best clubs in Aci Trezza
- Plan your stay in Aci Trezza: info and useful tips
- User questions and comments
10 things to see in Aci Trezza in a weekend
1 - Marine Protected Area, Cyclops Islands
It's a small naturalistic paradise where it is possible to do lots of activities: pleasant excursions, beautiful swims, sunbathing, diving ... and much more.
Before venturing out, it is advisable to stop at Visitor Center of the Marine Protected Area, on the main street of Aci Trezza, as it represents a valid point of reference for visitors to the Riviera dei Ciclopi.
Here in fact they are provided information, visits are booked, information and promotional material is distributed and, above all, authorizations are issued for the activities of use (sport fishing permits, authorization to rent and hire vessels, professional fishing authorization, individual diving authorization, authorization for collective transport etc. ..).
The structure is equipped with an educational room, a multimedia laboratory, a conference room and a library with over 600 texts and multimedia supports on topics related to the sea and its protection.
- from aci castello, 6 minutes by car via SS114; on foot about 20 minutes. From Aci Trezza 4 minutes by car via the Provincial; walk about ten minutes - Get directions
- Info, regulation and booking of guided tours, visit the official website
- info and booking of guided tours on the official website
- snorkeling at the Cyclops Islands
2 - Casa del Nespolo Museum
Small museum built inside a typical Sicilian house where, it is said, Giovanni Verga set the events narrated in "I Malavoglia".
The entrance consists of a lava stone arch overlooking a small garden flanked by two rooms. Starting from the events of the Malavoglia, he describes the life of the local fishermen; one of the rooms is dedicated to "La Terra Trema", the film shot by Luchino Visconti; while the other room collects some tools of daily life used by fishermen and some photographs taken during the shooting of Visconti's film.
The house has been arranged in such a way that it could be the perfect location for a fiction.
- very close to the Church of San Giovanni; less than 1 minute walk via Via Dietro Chiesa and Vico Chiesa - Get directions
- every day 09: 30-13: 00 and 17: 00-21: 00
- € 1,50
- boat trip to Aci Trezza with lunch
3 - Faraglioni
mighty rocks of lava stone that rise into the sea a few meters from the shore.
The Faraglioni are the protagonists of one of the most famous passes of the Odyssey.
Il myth tells in fact that the astute Ulysses, after escaping capture by the Cyclops, unleashed his furious anger to the point that Polyphemus threw huge boulders offshore, in order to sink the boat on which the men of Ulysses left the island.
These rock bullets sticking into the seabed gave rise to the faraglioni that today attract thousands of tourists to admire them. Today they form the Ciclopi Islands archipelago, which gives its name to the homonymous marine protected area.
From the coast the view is very impressive, especially at sunset. Very exciting to even get close to the Faraglioni, aboard boats driven by elderly fishermen which, at a cost of a few euros, accompany tourists by sea.
- panoramic view from the Aci Trezza seafront reachable on foot via Provincial road in 10 minutes - Get directions
- always accessible
- boat tour from € 30,00
- boat excursion to Aci Trezza with lunch half day boat trip to Aci Trezza
4 - Church of San Giovanni Battista
And the main church of the town.
It boasts a beautiful facade in baroque style, a neo-classical portal, two bell towers and a majestic window. The interior has a single nave and decorated with stuccoes that surround four side chapels.
It was rebuilt after the terrible earthquake of 1693 that hit the Val di Noto.
- a few minutes walk from the historic center - Get directions
- 8: 00-12: 00 and 16: 00-20: 00. In the months of July, August and September, 17: 00-20: 00
5 - Lachea Island
It is known as the Island of Homer's Goats (Book IX of the Odyssey), together with the stacks, it forms the so-called Archipelago of the Cyclops.
Mysterious and wild, it is the best place to immerse yourself in clean and transparent waters and on a breathtaking backdrop.
Unfortunately there is no organized service to reach the islet, but you can still get there: the more sporty can opt for a nice swim or paddle in a canoe, while the majority of tourists let themselves be transported by ancient wooden boats guided by "trezzoti" or by elderly fishermen.
- 400 meters from the coast, you can be reached by boat or canoe - Get directions
- always accessible
- sailing tour and spritz boat tour with lunch
6 - House of the Fishermen
to is a country where fishing is considered a real way of life.
It is so deeply rooted in the local culture that it has opened a recreational center for fishermen, considered a special category of workers. It is located a few steps from the Casa del Nespolo, it is a real one meeting in the heart of the city.
Inside there is a vast photographic archive; while, outside the structure, there is a high relief by the artist Mimmo Lazzaro and dated 1939, which portrays a scene from the novel "I Malavoglia".
- 1 minute walk from the Church of San Giovanni; 30 meters on Via Provinciale - Get directions
- info available directly on site
7 - Lido dei Ciclopi
Splendid beach, perhaps the best on the Ionian coast. IS' the most popular seaside area in the area.
The background is tropical vegetation and the emerald green sea with crystal clear waters. There are many trees which provide shade and a pleasant breeze.
The view is unique and the site is clean and well maintained. There is the presence of several accesses to the beach. There are numerous paid services (toilets, solarium, bar).
- from Aci Castello: 3 minutes by car via Provinciale or 15 minutes on foot along the same route; from Aci Trezza can be reached on foot in a few minutes on foot - Get directions
- always accessible
- free beach. Variable price if you use the establishment or other services offered on site
- from Catania: guided tour of the Riviera dei Ciclopi
8 - Columnar basalts at the port
They are located along the Aci Trezza pier, they are effusive rock formations generated by the Etna volcano, immersed in a true green oasis with lush flora and fauna.
This naturalistic miracle is protected in a site, near the historic port of the locality, called the Ancient port of Malavoglia and the geosite of the columnar basalts of Acitrezza.
Regarding the origin of these formations, one is in progress real dispute. Geologists, in fact, having observed the conspicuous presence of outcrops of limited size, which testify to a more rapid rock cooling, have hypothesized that the origin occurred under a clayey layer of more modest thickness or in the innermost interstices of the cushion lavas.
Whatever the geological truth is, it is one very suggestive and unusual natural spectacle.
- 4 minute drive via SS114 or 15 minute walk - Get directions
- always accessible
- Catania: Etna and Ciclopea Scuba Diving Experience
9 - Norman Castle of Aci Castello
Just over 2 km from Aci Trezza rises Aci Castello, an ancient fishing village located 15 meters above sea level
The most characteristic element of Aci Castello is the Norman Castle which dominates the main square of the town, bordered by a long balcony from which it is possible to admire the sea below and the suggestive Riviera dei Ciclopi. The castle, built with lava stone from Etna, stands on a promontory of lava rock overlooking the sea.
The castle can only be accessed from the square, via a stone staircase.
Around 1170 the village was completely destroyed by a terrible earthquake; only in 1530 was it rebuilt and repopulated. Over the years, the locality, while maintaining its ancient origins, has gradually transformed into a prestigious bathing place, destination for many tourists.
- The property is 2,5 km from Aci Trezza. 5 minutes by car via SS114; half an hour on foot via SS114 and Via Re Martino - Get directions
- castello 09:00-13:00 e 16:30-20:30
- castle € 3,00
- Aci Castello: underwater scooter tour
10 - "Boat Ulysses" excursion
In Aci Trezza you cannot fail to do at least oneboat excursion in the sea.
"Boat Ulysses" includes two different itineraries to choose from.
The first allows you to visit the Norman Castle of Aci Castello, the Prince's House, the Caves of Ulysses, the small port of Ognina, the Lachea Island and the faraglioni; the other, on the other hand, heads towards the Capo Mulini bay, the Sant'Anna lighthouse, the Timpa Oriental Nature Reserve, the Santa Maria La Scala Mill, the columnar Bìbasalti della Timpa and Santa Tecla.
- a few meters from the public parking in Via Lungomare Dei Ciclopi - Get directions
- info directly on site
- € 10,00
What to see in Aci Trezza in one day: recommended itinerary
Start with a delicious breakfast at the Pasticceria Caffè & Dolcezze (€ 2,80). Visit the famous castle built by the Normans in 1076 which dominates the square and offers a wonderful view of the suggestive Riviera dei Ciclopi.
Via Re Martino and SS114 you reach Lido dei Ciclopi (1,5 km, 18 min on foot and 1 minute by car). Dedicate the rest of the morning between sun and sea in what is the most popular seaside area.
Lunch at the Vecchia Marina A 'Urnazza Restaurant (€ 14,00).
Take asea excursion with Ulysses boat. A fantastic experience that will allow you to closely admire the famous Faraglioni, the Caves of Ulysses, the Lachea Island and much more.
Back in, take one walk along the seafront to admire the strange conformation of the Columnar Basalts; enter the village and visit the Casa del Nespolo, a small museum set up inside one typical Sicilian house which traces the events of "I Malavoglia".
In the nearby Casa dei Pescatori you can admire old photographs and listen to the tales of the sea of some elderly fisherman. Pay a visit to the church of San Giovanni.
Dine by the sea at the Trattoria Casa del Nespolo (€ 25,00).
One day itinerary at a glance
- Breakfast at Pasticceria Caffè & Dolcezze
- Norman Castle (9: 00-13: 00 and 15: 00-17: 00 in the winter months; 9: 00-13: 00 and 15: 00-19: 00 in spring; 9: 00-13: 00 and 16: 30) 20-30: 3,00 in the summer months, € 1,50; € 65 for over 7s; children 10/1,00 years € )
- Lido dei Ciclopi
- Lunch at the Vecchia Marina A 'Urnazza restaurant
- "Ulysses Boat" sea excursion (the cruise lasts about a couple of hours; departures with variable frequency based on the season, from € 10,00; children from € 5,00)
- Casa del Nespolo (9: 30-13: 00 and 17: 00-21: 00, € 1,50)
- Fishermen's House
- Church of San Giovanni (8: 00-12: 00 and 16: 00-20: 00. In the months of July, August and September, 17: 00-20: 00, free)
- Dinner at Trattoria Casa del Nespolo
Where to eat in Aci Trezza: the best restaurants
- Trattoria I Malavoglia da Paolino: restaurant on the seafront of Acitrezza with a view of the marina where you can taste the freshest fish.
Average price per person: € 35,00
Address and contacts: Via Lungomare Dei Ciclopi, 167 (Get directions) / tel: 3403360301
- Anchovy Fish Bar: small place with few seats that offers original seafood sandwiches and fried cuoppi
Average price per person: € 13,00
Address and contacts: via Provvidenza (Get directions) / tel: 0957116047
- Trattoria Casa del Nespolo: informal restaurant offering simple cuisine to be enjoyed by the sea. Very fresh fish.
Average price per person: € 25,00
Address and contacts: via Provinciale, 274 (Get directions) / tel: 331 2708729
What to do in the evening: the nightlife areas and the best clubs in Aci Trezza
Catania is undoubtedly the liveliest of the Sicilian cities, the city that never sleeps with its countless bars in the historic center always full at all hours, a mainly university nightlife and an offer of places very oriented to a fairly young audience.
In the summer, however, the over 25 nightlife moves all to Aci Trezza with aperitifs on the beach in one of the many trendy bars, clubs and places.
As for the night, the must instead is the Banacher in Aci Castello. Among palm trees and Caribbean-style trees you can go wild on the track until dawn, especially on Wednesdays and Fridays, the peak nights.
The best pubs, clubs and discos
- Porto coffee: very nice place on the seafront, perfect for pre and post dinner. Cocktails, beers and cutting boards.
Address: via Lungomare dei Ciclopi, 211 (Get directions)
- Jenko: lounge bar with platform located directly on the Acitrezza cliff. Quite far from the center, it is a very quiet and intimate place.
Address: via Lachea, 17 (Get directions)
- Banacher: the most famous nightclub in the area; reference point of the Sicilian night-life, among the most prestigious meeting places in Europe.
Address: via Vampolieri, 2 (Get directions)
Plan your stay in Aci Trezza: info and useful tips
- by car, take the SS114 and head south; after Acireale, you will find the indications for Aci Trezza. From Catania Centrale station you can take the urban bus 534 of the AMT company
- Getting around: the main road is via Provinciale. You mainly travel along this road on foot or by car
- Where to park: all parking is subject to charges (€ 0,75 for 1 hour, € 2,40 half day, € 3,80 full day). The main ones are located in via Gibuti, via Livorno and at the airport of Alaggio in piazza Verga
- Hotel and b & b starting from € 62,00 per room -
- What to see in the surroundings: Aci Castello, Catania, Taormina, Aci Reale, Etna
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking