Bolzano, the capital of Trentino Alto Adige, is very tidy and quiet, marked by the typical rhythms of those used to living in contact with nature: an integral part of the landscape and city life. Small town that can be visited in a short time, Bolzano is a destination that absolutely cannot be overlooked if you are in Trentino. Here 10 things to see absolutely in Bolzano and surroundings.
- Bolzano Cathedral
- Piazza delle Erbe
- Via dei Portici
- Firmiano Castle
- The archaeological museum
- Colle cable car
- Rencio and Santa Maddalena
- The lake of Carezza
- Castel Roncolo
- The Museion
- User questions and comments
1 - Cathedral of Bolzano
The Cathedral of Bolzano overlooks Piazza Walter, the central square of the city dedicated to Walther Von Der Vogelweide, and it is the most important religious building. Completed in 1420, it is a Gothic-style construction, but actually boasts more ancient origins. The ancient structure was in fact built on three different churches superimposed: an early Christian, which dates back to the fourth century; an early medieval one, from the 1517th century and a Romanesque one, from the 65th century. In the bell tower was added, meters high which, every Saturday and Sunday, plays different melodies thanks to its 25 bells.
Inside the Cathedral there are several finds of great value, including some frescoes dating back to Giotto's school, the Gothic pulpit and the marble altar. The gold and silver are instead kept inside the museum, located under the bell tower.
- the cathedral of Bolzano is located in the historic center of the city. Easy to walk to from anywhere in the center, orienting towards the bell tower - Get directions
- every day from 10:00 to 17:00; the museum is open from Tuesday to Saturday, from 10:00 to 12:00
- The museum ticket costs € 4,00 for adults, while it is free for children
2 - Piazza delle Erbe
Piazza delle Erbe it has housed the fruit and vegetable market since 1295. Strolling around the square during the market (held every day except Saturdays, Sundays and holidays) is a good opportunity both to find some typical delicacies, and to admire the fountain of Neptune: one of the most beautiful in Italy. The work depicts Neptune with three dolphins, which rest on as many shells, and was built in marble and bronze, around 1725.
At the corner with via museo there is a plaque commemorating "Al Sole": the hotel where Mozart, Goethe and Giuseppe II stayed
- Piazza delle Erbe is the heart of the historic center of bolzano, within walking distance - Get directions
- always accessible
3 - Via dei Portici
Via dei Portici branches off from Piazza delle Erbe: pedestrian alley of 300 meters, shopping street of the city, very popular since 1180, the year in which Bolzano was founded. On the arcades that characterize the street there are shops, obtained from the ancient medieval warehouses. Walking along the street you will notice some stuccoes, frescoes and even portions of the wall dating back to the Romanesque period, which constitute the ancient historical center of the city.
- 2 minutes walk from Piazza delle Erbe - Get directions
- always accessible
4 - Firmiano Castle
Castel Firmiano is located in the south-western outskirts of Bolzano on the right of the Adige and it is the main seat of the museum circuit called Messner Mountain Museum. The building stands on a large rock at the mouth of two rivers, and is one of the most important examples of defensive architecture in the whole of Trentino.
Owned by Reinhold Messner, the famous mountaineer, the manor houses a museum he founded, containing a collection of items from around the world, which testifies to man's relationship with the mountain.
- Firmiano Castle is located in the locality of Frangarto, near Bolzano. The castle can be reached by car via the A22, exit Bolzano Sud, continuing along the MEBO highway to Frangarto - Get directions
- open every day except Thursday from 10am to 00pm, from March to November
- The ticket for the Museum costs € 10,00 for students and over 65s and groups of 15 or more people. Children from 6 to 14 years pay € 4,00 and those up to 6 years enter for free
5 - The archaeological museum
Located in the historic center of the city, the museum is famous for being Ötzi's home, the ice man. The mummy, discovered by chance by some tourists in 1989, predates the pyramids of Cheops and Stonehenge. At the museum it is possible to admire it together with its original kit (clothes, saddlebag, quiver etc ...) which has allowed scholars to reconstruct the habits of life.
- reachable on foot through the historic center - Get directions
- Tuesday to Sunday from 10:00 to 18:00. In July, August and December it is also open on Mondays. The visit lasts about two hours and the whole structure is wheelchair accessible
- Full ticket € 9,00, € 7,00 for schoolchildren, students and over 65. Free for children up to 6 years. Discounts are available for families and groups
6 - Colle cable car
Cableway, the oldest in the world, was inaugurated in 1908 by a South Tyrolean hotelier, who wanted to take tourists to his hotel, located at 1134 meters above sea level. From that moment on, the cable car has become the most used and above all characteristic means of reaching the town of Colle: the perfect place for a excursion with views of the Dolomites and glaciers. The summit can be reached in just 7 minutes, where it is then possible to admire a copy of the original wagons. Here, you will also find several trekking routes, divided by difficulty
- walkable to the city center in just 20 minutes - Get directions
- all year round, with departures every 30 minutes from 7:00 to 19:00
- one way for adults costs € 4,50, round trip € 6,00. Free for children up to 3 years and reduced for children up to 14 years
7 - Rencio and Santa Maddalena
The two districts make up the wine area of the city: this is where the Santa Maddalena vineyard is located, which produces the red wine "La Schiava". A walk in these places represents an opportunity both to visit the wineries and to enjoy a unique panorama, made up of neat rows of vineyards and farms: the typical rural buildings of South Tyrol. Furthermore, here it will be possible to visit both the Loacker estate and the Romanesque church of St. Magdalene, built in 1295.
- either by bicycle or on foot from Piazza Walter, in about 20 minutes, or by car in a few minutes, but you would risk missing a nice walk - Get directions
- always accessible
8 - Lake Carezza
Lake Carezza owes its name to the "Caricaceae": the broad-leaved plants that surround the banks, a natural basin immersed in a forest of red and white firs, from which violins are still made today.
Legend has it that the lake was inhabited by a mermaid, and that a sorcerer in love created a rainbow to attract her to himself: hence the particular color of the water. But, the work had the opposite effect. The frightened siren Ondina plunged into the water to never get out again. The statue of Ondina is today in the center of the lake, but sometimes it is impossible to see it, as it is completely submerged by the waters of the lake.
- by car from the center of Bolzano by car via the A22, exit Bolzano nord / Val d'Ega - Get directions
- always accessible
9 - Castel Roncolo
Built in 1237, the castle is known as the "Illustrated Manor". The particular nickname is due to presence inside the castle of profane frescoes, among the best preserved in the entire Alpine arc. The scenes depict moments of court life in the bathroom, women and men and nudes, various scenes from Tristan and Isolde etc ... To date, the frescoes are one of the few examples of the original setting.
- by free shuttle bus from Piazza Walther, every day from 10:00 to 17:30. By public transport, with line number 12 and on holidays with line number 14. By car, take the road to the Sarentino valley and turn right before the tunnel. At the foot of the castle there is a free and unattended parking.Castel Roncolo can be reached on foot or by bicycle along the Talvera stream. From the city center the walk takes about 30 minutes - Get directions
- Tuesday to Sunday from 10:00 to 17:00
- standard € 8,00, family € 16,00 2 adults plus children under 14, schools € 2,50 per pupil
10 - The Museion
Founded in 1985, the Museion is a museum of contemporary art. Although its geometric shapes do not blend perfectly with the style of the city, the Museion is an addition to the charm of the city. The two large concave windows, for example, during the night they turn it into a kind of huge lighthouse. The building hosts various types of exhibitions, temporary exhibitions and thematic collections on four floors. The façade of the Museion is itself an exhibition corner, where videos, photos and animations are projected.
- the Museion is located in Piazza Piero Siena, 1. Almost all city buses leaving from the train station stop near Museion (via Cassa di Risparmio). Those arriving from the Gries area can get off in via Rosmini or in via Ospedale - Get directions
- Tuesday to Sunday from 10:00 to 18:00. Every Thursday from 10:00 to 22:00
- Full € 7,00, reduced € 3,50 (over 60, Tourist Card, Guest Card, Kulturpass, students, etc.) Free admission for children and teenagers up to 18 years. Every Thursday from 18.00 to 22.00, the museum is accessible for free to all
Plan your stay in Bolzano: interactive map + info on hotels and tours
Bolzano is the capital of the autonomous province of the same name in trentino-alto adige and is located in a valley in the middle of hills full of vineyards.A place capable of combining natural and historical beauties, Bolzano is one of those towns that should also be appreciated for its culinary traditions, and above all "beer". Small size, the town can be visited in a maximum of two days, moving comfortably on foot, or using the well-organized public transport, which lead out of the city.
Most Interesting Articles
- maldives islands where they are when to go and what to see
- ranking of the most rude countries in the world
- top 10 mafias in the world the richest and most powerful criminal organizations
- the 15 biggest and most beautiful zoos in the world official ranking
- top 10 biggest and most beautiful zoos in europe official ranking