Called the island of eternal spring, Tenerife is a place where the colors are bright all year round and the temperatures always mild.
Characterized by lush vegetation and a sea of many shades of blue, it is one tourist destination of excellence at any time of the year as it offers several attractions.
In addition to the numerous beaches there are also many towns, natural parks, museums and churches that deserve to be discovered and visited.
Here are 10 things to see in Tenerife!
- Teide National Park
- Los Gigantes
- Santa Cruz
- San Cristobal de la Laguna
- La Orotava
- Ethnographic Park of the Pyramids of Guimar
- Icod de los Vinos
- Rural Park of Anaga
- Parrot park
- User questions and comments
1 - Teide National Park
Declared a World Heritage Site in 2007, this national park is located at an altitude of 3.178 meters and occupies 18.990 hectares of surface in the central area of Tenerife.
Considered one of the most important in Europe, is characterized by numerous lava flows which together with the mountains and the volcanoes scattered throughout the area, form a characteristic landscape.
Inside you can see the Roques de Garcia, the lava stone pinnacles over 2.000 m high, the Pico Viejo which is the mountain from which the last eruption in 1798 came out andTeide Observatory, the astrophysical center.
You can decide whether to climb Mount Teide on foot with trekking or with the practical cable car and once at the top you can make various excursions and activities.
- from Santa Cruz it is 39 km away; by car it takes 50 minutes following the TF5; alternatively Line 348 or 108 from Puerto de la Cruz (duration 3 hours, € 11,00) - Get directions
- cableway hours: April-June 9: 00-16: 00; July, August and September 09: 00-19: 00; October-March 09:00 - 17:30
- cost of the cable car € 27,00 round trip; entrance to the park
2 - Garachico
This small town of only 5.000 inhabitants in the north west of Tenerife, is a town that has kept its authentic soul.
Founded by Cistofaro da Ponte who ensured prosperity and well-being to the inhabitants in the 500th century, it was destroyed in 1706 by the terrible volcanic eruption that devastated it completely.
Following the reconstruction, today it is possible to admire his white houses, the cobbled streets and the beautiful San Miguel castle. In this medieval fortress from which to admire a splendid panorama, a show is held every evening, where you can participate in the medieval banquet by attending the knights' tournaments (€ 37,35 dinner and show; € 44,10 including bus) - book the online ticket.
Do not miss the natural pools in which to swim!
- it is 61 km from Santa Cruz; by car it can be reached in 50 minutes following the TF42; by bus with line 108 to Estacion Icod and from there with line 363 to Garachico "Piscina" (total duration 1 hour and 45 min, € 10,00) - Get directions
- the castle from Monday to Saturday at 10: 00-15: 30
3 - Los Gigantes
It is a small tourist resort characterized by a complex of cliffs overlooking the sea high between 300 and 600 meters and called the "Acantilados de Los Gigantes".
This place is very popular among divers, who can do it here wonderful dives.
Also this location it is the base for whale watching excursions.
It is also the boarding point for taxi boats (flexible hours, cost € 10,00) that lead to Masca, a village overlooking the sea with a beautiful cove that can also be reached on foot but a 3 hour excursion is required. Various pivate tours are available - book online
- it is 102 km from Santa Cruz and can be reached in 1 hour and 10 minutes by car following the TF1 and TF46, or in about 2 hours and 30 with bus 103 from Intercambiador Santa Cruz to Puerto Cruz and then with the 325 from Puerto de la Cruz in Quinto Centenario, 1 minute from Los Gigantes - Get directions
- always accessible
4 - Santa Cruz
Capital of the Canarian archipelago, it is a perfect mix of culture and environmental variety which also makes it the ideal city for a stay in Tenerife.
It boasts, in fact, galleries, shops, restaurants, museums, parks and beaches of great beauty.
Don't miss the Museo de la Naturaleza y el Hombre (Tue-Sat 09:00 to 20:00 Sun-Mon 10:00 to 17:00, admission € 5,00), the auditorium designed by architect Santiago Calatrava ( Mon-Sat 10: 00-12: 00/14: 00-16.00, cost according to the group) and the Parque Garcia Sanabria.
And if you want to dedicate yourself to some sun and relaxation, Playa de las Teresitas is the perfect place, 7 km from the center.
- the city of Santa Cruz is 61 km from the Tenerife Sur airport; it can be reached by car in 41 minutes following the TF4 road; or bus 111 takes 1 hour and 10 min (€ 9,35) - Get directions
- always accessible
5 - San Cristobal de la Laguna
It was the ancient capital, in 1920 it lost its status while remaining the university and bishopric of the island.
It's a charming town thanks to the different cultural attractions and full of nightlife, with the many clubs where you can dance until late.
Do not miss the cathedral with its splendid marble altar open from Monday to Friday 10 am-00pm, and on Saturdays 20 am-00pm and 10 pm-00pm, admission € 12.
The Museo de la Ciencia y el Cosmos is very interesting (open from Tuesday to Saturday 09: 00-20: 00 and Sunday and Monday at 10: 00-17: 00, admission € 5,00).
Walking through its alleys you will then see Plaza Adelantado, numerous historic buildings such as Casa Alvarado, Casa del Corregidor and Palacio Lercario.
- is 10 km from Santa Cruz and can be reached by car in 20 minutes following the TF5, or by bus 108,105,15,103 from Intercambiador Santa Cruz to Intercambiador Laguna (€ 1,50) - Get directions
- Schedule: always accessible
6 - La Orotava
Considered by some the most beautiful resort in Tenerife, is a town in the north center, located at 390 meters with a beautiful historic center and breathtaking views.
The small town is characterized by narrow streets overlooked by buildings of great value including "Casa de los balcones", Plaza de lo Ayuntamiento and the "Marquesado de la Quinta Roja" gardens.
The most important church it is that of "Our Lady of the Conception", declared a national monument. Noteworthy is "the road of the Mills": once there were 13 mills and were used to irrigate the land, while today there are only 10 left.
- it is 36 km from Santa Cruz and can be reached by car in 35 minutes along the TF-211, or by bus 108 from Intercambiador Santa Cruz to estacion la Orotava (duration 40 min, € 3,00) - Get directions
- always accessible
7 - Ethnographic Park of the Pyramids of Guimar
This park is one of the must-see attractions. It is located not far from the central eastern coast characterized by numerous pyramidal structures.
These constructions, very similar to those found in Egypt and South America, are astronomically oriented towards the summer and winter solstices and they have a great historical and archaeological value.
Inside the park there is also an auditorium where there is a projection explaining the origin of the pyramids; there is also a museum which houses reproductions of sculptures, ceramics and photographs showing the parallels between the ancient civilizations of both sides of the Atlantic.
- It is 29 km from Santa Cruz and can be reached mainly by car in 25 minutes via the TF-21 and TF-612. Alternatively, bus 121 from Intercambiador Santa Cruz to "Piramides" 650 m from the entrance (duration 1 hour and 10, € 3,00) - Get directions
- 09: 30-18: 00 every day except 25 December and 1 January
- full ticket € 18,00
8 - Icod de los Vinos
This northwestern municipality is most famous for the Parco de la Dracena where there is a millenary plant, declared a national monument.
It has a trunk of 20 meters in perimeter and a crown that reaches 16 meters (opening hours: April-September 9: 00-20: 00; October-March 10: 00-18: 00, € 5,00).
Strolling in the Old Town you can see the numerous alleys, the church of Sant'Agostino, the ancient convent of San Francesco, which has now become a municipal library, and some beautiful squares such as Plaza de America and Plaza Adres de Lorenzo Caceres.
On the coast, then, the beach of San Marcos and the Grotta del Vento, a large volcanic tube where you can enter to admire its morphology (summer at 9: 00-19: 00, Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday 9: 00-16: 00; winter every day (except Thursday) 9: 00-17: 00; admission € 20,00).
- it is 57 km from Santa Cruz; by car it takes about 1 hour following the TF-5, by bus about 1 hour and 10 from Intercambiador Santa Cruz to Estacion Icod (€ 3,00)
- always accessible
9 - Anaga Rural Park
Not far from the capital, this natural park has been declared a Biosphere Reserve and has preserved numerous natural treasures perfectly intact.
Characterized by high mountains that approach the coast and from various geological formations such as the "roques", the "diques" and the impervious gorges.
The park occupies approximately 14.500 hectares and is a major tourist attraction.
It is the perfect place for interesting trekking, horseback riding or cycling, and during these trips you can also spot several species of birds.
- it is 24 km from Santa Cruz and by car it takes about 30 minutes; it can also be reached by bus with lines 945 and 947 in about 1 hour - Get directions
- Monday to Sunday 9:30 am to 16:00 pm
10 - Loro Parque
In Puerto de la Cruz, north of Tenerife, you can find this zoo very famous that it houses the world's largest collection of parrots.
Not only that, in the over 15 hectares you can see penguins, turtles, chimpanzees, sea lions, crocodiles and killer whales, divided into different rooms and habitats.
Perfect for spending a day with the family during the stay on the island, inside it is possible to attend daily different shows with sea lions, dolphins, killer whales and parrots.
- It is 35,6 km from Santa Cruz, 33 min by car, also reachable by Titsa bus starting from Intercambiador STA.CRUZ with line 103 in about 40 min (€ 3,00) and then walking for 1,8 km - Get directions
- 8: 30-18: 45 from Monday to Sunday
- € 38,00 adults, € 26,00 children
Plan your stay in Tenerife: flights, hotels and tours
If you are thinking about a holiday in Tenerife remember that usually the locations in the south of the island are more suitable for those looking for a seaside holiday and sun because the climate is hotter and drier.
For a more characteristic environment, between natural parks and culture, you should stay in the north.
The best way to get around is to rent a car especially if you plan to do several trips and excursions; if you opt for a less itinerant holiday, you can use the buses.
The island is equipped with two airports: one to the south "Reina Sofia" which is the international one, and one to the north "Los Rodeos" which concentrates inter-island traffic.